Best Stickhandlers Ever

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Forsberg was impressive but the king of stickhandling in a phone booth was the lacrosse star Joe Nieuwendyk.

I've seen people say Nieuwendyk was the most talented lacrosse player of all-time. I have no idea if it's true, and of course he only played when he was young. But he was certainly one of the niftiest hockey players ever, incredible in front of the net, great on deflections, tips, etc.

Reactions: VanIslander

paracord

May 5, 2016
If you're talking about chopping up the ice like a typewriter, then that would be Jagr, Kane, Kovalev, players like that.

If it's Cadillac smooth dekes, toe drags, out-in, in-out destruction of opponents, and overall control of the puck on his stick, then Lemieux is #1 and Gretzky and Orr are there too.

Lemieux was massive, with a super-human reach, and could bring the puck side to side and shield it from opponents better than any player in history. He was also the most lethal 1 on 1 vs. the goalie player in history by a good margin, with devastating backhand dekes or feigns of the deke and then top shelf glove side making the goalie look foolish.

He could catch passes and roof them on the backhand or forehand with equal ease from a foot out, and just overall had the softest hands of any player ever.

This isn't really that close with Lemieux vs. everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: lextune

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Now that's a name you don't see too often here!

Jarkko is a legend of SM-sarja/SM-liiga and for two teams (Tappara, TPS), no less, but he never did that much on the Finnish national team. His international stats aren't awfully bad, though, when compared with other Finnish star players of his era. Still, I guess he just wasn't very high on practising/conditioning, which didn't help his international career.

From my understanding, Jarkko wasn't much of a skater, but indeed had great hands and really could make a defenceman or a goalie look bad.
It was said that he learned to play hockey largely without skates and would then always play like that. In any case he had an awful work ethic and was fairly immobile even by 1980s German standards, but also had magic hands and great vision as his saving grace. Had the size to keep the puck even with his poor skating too, albeit not a physical player otherwise and didn't play much defense. I don't have any statistics, but many of his points must have been on power play. The kind of player that sold tickets and the next generation grew up idolizing, but whom the coaches thought much less highly of.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Now that's a name you don't see too often here!

Jarkko is a legend of SM-sarja/SM-liiga and for two teams (Tappara, TPS), no less, but he never did that much on the Finnish national team. His international stats aren't awfully bad, though, when compared with other Finnish star players of his era. Still, I guess he just wasn't very high on practising/conditioning, which didn't help his international career.

From my understanding, Jarkko wasn't much of a skater, but indeed had great hands and really could make a defenceman or a goalie look bad.
Lars-Gunnar "Krobbe" Lundberg.

Can't find a video of him, illustrating the anti-1970's-Swedish-superstars bias of the internets. He had some fantastic Swedish championship game for Brynäs (ugh) I remember to this day due to his deking and stick handling.

Seems to be underrated here.

Lundberg18Balderis19

May 20, 2023
Lars-Gunnar "Krobbe" Lundberg.

Can't find a video of him, illustrating the anti-1970's-Swedish-superstars bias of the internets. He had some fantastic Swedish championship game for Brynäs (ugh) I remember to this day due to his deking and stick handling.

Seems to be underrated here.
I grew up in Massachusetts, my cousin played for the Bruins and Whalers in the 70s, the first Massachusetts born and trained player to be drafted by the Bruins. He played against Lars Gunnar Lundberg in the 77 Worlds and said that he and Helmut Balderis were the most spectacular and skilled puckhandlers he ever saw or played against. He played with or against some of the best including Bobby Sheehan, Guy Lafleur, Gil Perreault and Gary Gambucci (that's my personal opinion). Lundberg played a bit style-wise like Gretzky at least in his skating stride and size. Although Lundberg was MUCH more geared towards one-on-one and end-to-end play than Gretzky. And although he was an excellent playmaker, he was nowhere near Gretzky in the all-time great playmaking department. Neither were the fastest players on their teams but both were very quick on their skates and could cut and dart on a dime. Lundberg (and Balderis) had dazzlingly fast hands with the puck which set them apart. Lundberg also had reportedly the hardest wrist shot in Europe in the 70s, on a par supposedly with players like Mike Bossy in North America. Lundberg and Balderis both were much like later stars Tim Connolly or Alexei Kovalev in the way that hey could manipulate the disc at blinding speed while making dekes and fakes and still maintaining control. I am putting togather a highlight reel of "Krobbe" Lundberg which I hope to be ready later this summer. I will post it to my Youtube channel when ready. Currently I have about 20 games with Lundberg and over 40 of Balderis. Balderis's highlight reel will be quite extensive when it's done. Also want to make one of Jarkko, Doru Tureanu and othjer "lost" European superstars of international hockey that get basically no ink in North America but whom all had the skills to be stars in North American pro hockey of the time.

Last edited:

Lundberg18Balderis19

May 20, 2023
I also second Denis Savard, who was I.M.O. possibly the most gifted and and DEF. the most creative puckhandler in North America, from the 70s-80s and was better than Lemieux, and most definitely better than Gretzky who I think gets overrated in this department, although he was excellent as well. Petr Klima, Kent Nilsson, Gilbert Perreault, and Peter Sullivan are all all-time great in the stickhandling category. Another totally underrated stickhandling genius was Ivan Boldirev who was basically Gil Perreault without the extra skating gear. Very similar size, skill-set and style. Boldirev was several times voted as the best, or in the top 3 in the NHL in the 70s.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Forsberg for me.

(Maybe not the absolute BEST stickhandler in the game but he sure made the stickhandling counted for something).

Bears repeating. When Gretz retired, he was asked who was the greatest in the game after him, and my Canadian media ate up his Kariya, Lindros mentions... but the first name from his lips was Forsberg.

Forsberg was impressive but the king of stickhandling in a phone booth was the lacrosse star Joe Nieuwendyk.

Bears repeating. Devils Lou said Joe was as great without the puck as he was with it, he knew always where to put his stick, not surprising since he was a lacrosse star, requiring eye-hand coordination.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Newsy Lalonde is one of the greatest hockey players of all time (no one leaves him off a top-100 list), and he was labeled the greatest lacrosse player of the half century.

So, i imagine a higher tier of Joe Nieuwendyk with even more grit (given his epic battles on and off the ice.)

Newsy as uber-Nieuwy.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In the Soviet Union, bandy was the equivalent to lacrosse in terms of off-season skills excellence. The great Bobrov and Babich were great bandy players in the summer.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I am putting togather a highlight reel of "Krobbe" Lundberg which I hope to be ready later this summer. I will post it to my Youtube channel when ready. Currently I have about 20 games with Lundberg and over 40 of Balderis. Balderis's highlight reel will be quite extensive when it's done. Also want to make one of Jarkko, Doru Tureanu and othjer "lost" European superstars of international hockey that get basically no ink in North America but whom all had the skills to be stars in North American pro hockey of the time.
I'm very much looking forward to this. Are these full games available online already? Or do you have access to games that we haven't had the opportunity to see before?

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yeah, he had some filthy hands but unfortunately was bogged down with injuries.

One of my favorite goals of all time is this of his against Ottawa:

I still remember yelling "He deked past the net?!" because it didn't look like he shot the puck on that backhand in real time.

He also scored the opening goal of game 5 in the previous series on a powerplay walking in from the blueline to the slot and then shooting because not one Philly player stepped up to impede his progress--they knew they'd get faked out of their pants if they tried to poke check or hit him.

Arguably the biggest "What if?" in Sabres playoff history after the '99 fiasco and Hasek being mortal vs. Pittsburgh in '01, because Connolly was on a Conn Smythe trajectory early in 05-06, and they almost certainly dispatch Carolina in 6 or 7 if he's healthy

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I still remember yelling "He deked past the net?!" because it didn't look like he shot the puck on that backhand in real time.

He also scored the opening goal of game 5 in the previous series on a powerplay walking in from the blueline to the slot and then shooting because not one Philly player stepped up to impede his progress--they knew they'd get faked out of their pants if they tried to poke check or hit him.

Arguably the biggest "What if?" in Sabres playoff history after the '99 fiasco and Hasek being mortal vs. Pittsburgh in '01, because Connolly was on a Conn Smythe trajectory early in 05-06, and they almost certainly dispatch Carolina in 6 or 7 if he's healthy

Connolly was the best offensive player in hockey for the first half of those playoffs. He was finally putting it all together.

He's the greatest stickhandler I've ever seen in my life and even after his concussions, he still put together a pretty nice career because of his vision and smart defensive play.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Connolly was the best offensive player in hockey for the first half of those playoffs. He was finally putting it all together.

He's the greatest stickhandler I've ever seen in my life and even after his concussions, he still put together a pretty nice career because of his vision and smart defensive play.

Fun nostalgia, I had the same reaction to that goal. Dude moved so quick I didn’t even catch the backhand flip, absolutely insane angle for that.

Buffalowing, watch Connolly vs. Marchand if you haven’t. One of my favorite clips of all time- you see Connolly’s wires cross, he then maybe realizes he’s got concussions and shouldn’t fight- boom, judo tosses Marchand like he’s a rag doll. Wish it were with us and not the leafs, it’s my favorite non-fight fight.

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Fun nostalgia, I had the same reaction to that goal. Dude moved so quick I didn’t even catch the backhand flip, absolutely insane angle for that.

Buffalowing, watch Connolly vs. Marchand if you haven’t. One of my favorite clips of all time- you see Connolly’s wires cross, he then maybe realizes he’s got concussions and shouldn’t fight- boom, judo tosses Marchand like he’s a rag doll. Wish it were with us and not the leafs, it’s my favorite non-fight fight.

I had not seen that! I try to pretend that his Leafs tenure never happened haha. That would have been incredible if it was with the Sabres, totally agree.

I do remember once he slammed Gomez against the boards after he ran into Miller in the early 2010s but that wasn't exactly a heavyweight duel haha.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Kovalev and datsyuk were definitely unique in this skill. Heck, datsyuk even has a nove named after him and to this day, I haven't really seen anyone else try it or at least do it as seamlessly as he did.

Kovalev would looks like a point guard doing crossovers while he cut through the team bringing the puck up the ice.... particularly on powerplays. Again, it was so effortless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad