Best Stickhandlers Ever

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Russophobia? :naughty:

No - in fact we are talking two different games. NHL sized rink and Olympic or International.

Even amongst the Russians on this board there is no consensus about a Russian top 5 of stickhandlers.

Also you have to differentiate between stickhandling, puck control and moving the puck forward. Kovalev was weak at moving the puck forward in the NHL. Often he would control the puck, stick handle, put on a show while facing the crowd, looking away from the net. Little possibility of a scoring chance. On a PP he was effectively killing the man advantage his team had.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Stickhandling

The fact that so many older players- Morenz, Nighbor, Apps, Bentley, etc - were very much singled out for their fine motor skills in accounts of their play suggests otherwise. Without getting particularly granular about different strategies, a better way to describe the difference between the two cultures is East-West vs North-South. The former of which emphasizes passing more. It's not as if stick handling isn't important to both types of games.

Stickhandling was the norm before the introduction of the center Red Line for the 1943-44 NHL season.

Some of the leading stickhandlers, active and retired and some of the coaches were against the Red Line because the lead pass would preclude stickhandling.

Most vocal was Frank Boucher.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Stickhandling was the norm before the introduction of the center Red Line for the 1943-44 NHL season.

Some of the leading stickhandlers, active and retired and some of the coaches were against the Red Line because the lead pass would preclude stickhandling.

Most vocal was Frank Boucher.

That's an excellent point and a good reason why no original six era players jump to mind quite as readily as Nighbor and other early players.
But yeah, not something that the Russians invented out of thin air, even if they were very good at it.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Red Line

That's an excellent point and a good reason why no original six era players jump to mind quite as readily as Nighbor and other early players.
But yeah, not something that the Russians invented out of thin air, even if they were very good at it.

The center Red Line, NHL version was adopted by the IIHF for the fall of 1969. Soviets effectively used the positive elements of both.

tmmr

Aug 20, 2017
Patrick Kane is unbelievable. Maybe the best stickhandler I've ever seen in over 55 years of watching. Stan Mikita was a great stickhandler. Didn't have a lot of speed but he could go around a guy based on stickhandling alone. Henri Richard and Lafleur were great too. And of course Gretzky and Lemieux.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Also you have to differentiate between stickhandling, puck control and moving the puck forward. Kovalev was weak at moving the puck forward in the NHL. Often he would control the puck, stick handle, put on a show while facing the crowd, looking away from the net. Little possibility of a scoring chance. On a PP he was effectively killing the man advantage his team had.

But still... if you set up a bunch of drills designed to "test" everyone's stickhandling in a systematic manner, I have no doubt that Kovalev would be hard to top. Tempering that by observed decision-making in real game situations is fair enough, of course, but in terms of the raw skills/capabilities he's way, way up there.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
No - in fact we are talking two different games. NHL sized rink and Olympic or International.

Even amongst the Russians on this board there is no consensus about a Russian top 5 of stickhandlers.

This is puzzling. Kovalev was great on the PP. In 2008 I think he led the league in PP points.

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
This is puzzling.Kovalev was great on the PP.In 2008 I think he led the league in PP points.

And on top of that, he was 7th overall in PP points for the entire 4 year stretch of '99/00 to '02/03. Actually, I just double-checked, and he's 7th overall in PP points for the entire decade that spans his time in Pittsburgh to the end of his days in Montreal.

Far, far more effective than C1958 implies/suggests.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
And on top of that, he was 7th overall in PP points for the entire 4 year stretch of '99/00 to '02/03. Actually, I just double-checked, and he's 7th overall in PP points for the entire decade that spans his time in Pittsburgh to the end of his days in Montreal.

Far, far more effective than C1958 implies/suggests.

In 2008, Montreal finished 1st in PP%, so it's not like the boosting of his personal statistics ruined the team PP.

The Markov-Kovalev diagonal pass-onetimer was great that season.Pittsburgh didn't do so good in PP% during his time there, wildly fluctuating in league ranking.In 2008 at least, Kovalev was a monster on the PP and a constant threat from the right board.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Kovalev was weak at moving the puck forward in the NHL. Often he would control the puck, stick handle, put on a show while facing the crowd, looking away from the net. Little possibility of a scoring chance. On a PP he was effectively killing the man advantage his team had.

Yet scored 133 power play goals, more than any other player of his draft year.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He's not one of the best stickhandlers ever or anything, but Jason Blake was quite adept at making an end-to-end rush and then firing a limp wrister right at a goaltender.

If that guy had a shot, he could have been a consistent 30+ goal scorer.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
He's not one of the best stickhandlers ever or anything, but Jason Blake was quite adept at making an end-to-end rush and then firing a limp wrister right at a goaltender.

If that guy had a shot, he could have been a consistent 30+ goal scorer.

Perhaps his shot played a role, but his sense of how he could use his linemates and get into better scoring positions was bad for an NHL hockey player, and just brutal for a career top-9 forward.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
In no particular order:

Datsyuk
Gretzky
Orr
Makarov
Beliveau
Lemieux
Bure
Richard
Jagr
Peter Forsberg
Adrien Plavsic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Datsyuk
Kovalev
Kane
McDavid
Jagr
Bure
Lemieux
Forsberg
Malkin
Fedorov
Crosby
Karlsson
Gaudreau
Klasen
Semin
Kovalchuk

whcanuck

May 11, 2017
Oh man there a lot. You have the guys who just make the opponent look silly with their dizzying moves, Datsyuk and Kovalev come to mind. Bure, Mogilny and Fedorov were great with the head fakes and lateral movement, one quick move and a side step and they were gone. Then you've got your big bodies like Lemieux and Jagr, the nimble hands of both combined with the huge reach because of their height...defending them must have been a complete nightmare. Then you have guys like Gretzky, Sakic and Yzerman, they were experts at keeping the puck away from their opponent and making plays with it on the move.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
No particular order
Kane
Datsyuk
Wolski
Kovalev
Hemsky
Lemieux
Jagr
Vanek
Wellwood
Schremp if he counts lol
Perron
Radulov
Ribeiro
Good list. Schremp is the first guy I thought of. Incredible with the puck, too bad the rest of his game wasn't as good, much like Linus Omark.

Reactions: El Cohiba

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine
Good list. Schremp is the first guy I thought of. Incredible with the puck, too bad the rest of his game wasn't as good, much like Linus Omark.

Thanks bud. Omark is good inclusion as well! Just like Schremp; can make the puck dance, but useless doing everything else. I'd add Kirill Kabanov and Tomas Jurco to this list too

Todd Bertuzzi is someone I left out. He was a surprisingly good stick handler for a guy his size

Reactions: brachyrynchos

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I think Bentley probably got as much props for his stickhandling alone than any player ever. Patrick Kane is probably the best I've seen personally. Perreault and Jagr could stickhandle at top speed which is incredible and why they were so good one on one.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad