Best Rinks In The OHL

BiffTannen

Oct 2, 2022
Taking into consideration concession quality, the rink itself and overall crowd vibe, whats your favourite OHL home arena? My top 5 are:

1. Kitchener Rangers
2. London Knights
3. Windsor Spitfires
4. Guelph Storm
5. Niagara Icedogs

Reactions: bobber

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Peterborough Memorial Centre is outdated however it is a great place to watch a hockey game. The history in that building cannot be matched anywhere else in the league. So many future NHL players have played their junior hockey in that rink. Also many future NHL coaches started their coaching careers coaching the Petes. I know the arena is going to be replaced but I could watch hockey in that building for the rest of my life.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
London
Rest of league lol

Just kidding. Kitchener, Windsor and Oshawa are all great, Ottawa also

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
London
Rest of league lol

Just kidding. Kitchener, Windsor and Oshawa are all great, Ottawa also

Ottawa...? I'm a 67s STH and can only speak for myself but I'm eagerly anticipating the new arena being built.

Reactions: OMG67

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Only got out the the Aud this past season. Cool place to catch a game, but I don’t get the hype around it. It’s very much a “you are here to enjoy the hockey” type of place. Idk. Like I said, wonderful place to watch hockey but everyone seems to make it seem like it’s THE place to go. Just doesn’t seem to live up to that billing to me.

Reactions: ohloutsider

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
I'm so partial to the Dow in Saginaw because I just love how you can walk/stand all the way around the bowl and still watch the game. There's other things I loathe about the home arena but that one feature makes a hockey game very watchable.

Of the other arenas I've been to (I've been to 10), I really enjoyed Peterborough...the people, history, etc. were great. We also had a really nice time in Hamilton...we splurged and sat on the glass for that one so to me, we didn't get a true feel of the arena but the people around us were fantastic.

I would agree with Kingpin on Kitchener, for us, it was probably the least "fun" experience of the 9 away venues we've been to. The fans were there for hockey which is totally fine but there wasn't any "hey, you traveled 4hrs to our town, thanks for coming" sort of vibes which we've had even in Sarnia/Windsor. I'm very happy to have visited and watched a game in that great venue but it's not one I would return to.

Worst arena I've been to...Compuware (Plymouth Whalers)...sight lines were terrible and despite the successes they had, just didn't feel the energy of other OHL arenas.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I'm so partial to the Dow in Saginaw because I just love how you can walk/stand all the way around the bowl and still watch the game. There's other things I loathe about the home arena but that one feature makes a hockey game very watchable.

Of the other arenas I've been to (I've been to 10), I really enjoyed Peterborough...the people, history, etc. were great. We also had a really nice time in Hamilton...we splurged and sat on the glass for that one so to me, we didn't get a true feel of the arena but the people around us were fantastic.

I would agree with Kingpin on Kitchener, for us, it was probably the least "fun" experience of the 9 away venues we've been to. The fans were there for hockey which is totally fine but there wasn't any "hey, you traveled 4hrs to our town, thanks for coming" sort of vibes which we've had even in Sarnia/Windsor. I'm very happy to have visited and watched a game in that great venue but it's not one I would return to.

Worst arena I've been to...Compuware (Plymouth Whalers)...sight lines were terrible and despite the successes they had, just didn't feel the energy of other OHL arenas.
My back hurts at the mere mention of Compuware

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
To me, "Best" is a "to each their own" idea.

Personally... outside of Windsor, my top 3 would be Erie, SSM, and Sudbury. Erie has a fantastic atmosphere, great food/drink, the fans are fun, and it's easy to get to. SSM is very similar and hits close to home. Sudbury is old school with that intimate 90s feel.

BiffTannen

Oct 2, 2022
Only got out the the Aud this past season. Cool place to catch a game, but I don’t get the hype around it. It’s very much a “you are here to enjoy the hockey” type of place. Idk. Like I said, wonderful place to watch hockey but everyone seems to make it seem like it’s THE place to go. Just doesn’t seem to live up to that billing to me.
I think what the appeal with the Kitchener Aud is that it reminds people alot of the old Maple Leaf Gardens. Same vintage and same vibe, but yes, nothing to "amazing" about it i agree.

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
Ranking the OHL rinks I’ve been to:
1) Kitchener
2) Owen Sound
3) Sault Ste. Marie
4) Sudbury
5) Barrie
6) North Bay
7) Hamilton
8) Mississauga

Hope to get to a couple buildings in SW Ontario now that I’m back in SSM!

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Ranking the arenas I’ve been to:

1. Erie
2. Niagara
3. Guelph
4. Kitchener
5. Barrie
6. Windsor
7. Mississauga

Niagara could be #1 too if they weren’t so sloppy with their business. Waiting for the season schedule to come out to start planning more road trips.

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
I'm looking at taking the VIA out to Sarnia for a weekend, catch a few games while I'm down there and as an added bonus hotels/motels within walking distance of the arena - anyone been before? Decent atmosphere?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'm looking at taking the VIA out to Sarnia for a weekend, catch a few games while I'm down there and as an added bonus hotels/motels within walking distance of the arena - anyone been before? Decent atmosphere?
I like going to Sarnia. Fans are nice and good arena setup. Parking is good. Don't think there are any hotels close to there but driving around Sarnia is easy. Maybe just take an Uber.

Reactions: DraftEligibleOHL

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Out of all the Rinks I've been to here's my top 5.

1. Bayshore is my tops if you want to be right in the action it is my favorite place.

2. Sleeman Centrein Guelph in my top 5 from a visiting standpointit has good sight-lines and the fanbase is very traditional knowledgeable and friendly.

3. WFCU Centre in Windsor is in my tops of the league they have really taken to honoring the past and their captian the late Mickey Renaud along with there historic teams but have all the comforts of a new looking building.

4. Memorial Gardens in North Bay is among my tops in the league simply for classic buildings they have really taken a fresh look on the outside but have kept the charm of an older style building on the inside.

5. Peterborough Memorial Centre, for an older style building the PMC has been one of my favorite trips I've ever made over the years, with their mix of Petes and Lakers they really make you feel welcomed with a fun atmosphere and nostalgic square corners.

At the end of all my travels there is only 2 buildings I have yet to see Brantford and The Soo. There are a lot of well built buildings but those 5 are tops in my opinion in the OHL.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
When I assess best arenas I look at seat comfort, sight lines, movement within the concourses, parking and amenities.

1. London
2. Sault Ste. Marie
3. Mississauga
4. Sarnia
5. Barrie

For seating comfort, plenty of shoulder and leg room with cup holders. I think an amenity that should be offered at all arenas is free wifi. As for concourse movement, I want to be able to move somewhat freely without dealing with so many kiosks bottling up space. For parking, access to lots of available parking and getting out reasonably easy without major delays.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
When I assess best arenas I look at seat comfort, sight lines, movement within the concourses, parking and amenities.

1. London
2. Sault Ste. Marie
3. Mississauga
4. Sarnia
5. Barrie

For seating comfort, plenty of shoulder and leg room with cup holders. I think an amenity that should be offered at all arenas is free wifi. As for concourse movement, I want to be able to move somewhat freely without dealing with so many kiosks bottling up space. For parking, access to lots of available parking and getting out reasonably easy without major delays.
Everyone's opinion of course but London has a terrible jammed concourse and no parking except paid lots. Doesn't seem to fit your criteria.
Mississauga has all the things you mentioned but likely a lack of fans keeps the concourse clear. Lol.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Everyone's opinion of course but London has a terrible jammed concourse and no parking except paid lots. Doesn't seem to fit your criteria.
Mississauga has all the things you mentioned but likely a lack of fans keeps the concourse clear. Lol.
Even though Mississauga has a lack of fans, they have what I would call the slowest, worst run concessions I've ever seen. I don't blame the people working, I blame whoever designed the system. I went to a game with around 1400 fans and it took me all intermission plus 5 minutes of playing time to get served. There was still a fairly big lineup when I left. Definitely not the best fan experience.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Even though Mississauga has a lack of fans, they have what I would call the slowest, worst run concessions I've ever seen. I don't blame the people working, I blame whoever designed the system. I went to a game with around 1400 fans and it took me all intermission plus 5 minutes of playing time to get served. There was still a fairly big lineup when I left. Definitely not the best fan experience.
You just described the number 1 complaint in Windsor. Concession stand wait times are brutal! Should not have to miss part of a hockey game to get a hot dog.
I've talked to a lot of out of town fans and they love the in-game experience but the concessions take it all away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad