Player Discussion: Best puck carrier

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Actually, his performance in the playoffs has been good, but he's been unlucky in terms of goals.

If he had the same ice-time as Connor or Laine, Ehlers would be a much more productive player. His even-strength production is better than Connor (same goals/60, higher assists/60). Also, on the PP he's produced points at a higher rate than Connor.

If you pro-rate Ehlers' production rates using Connor's ice time over the past 3 seasons, his production per 82 games would be: 31 goals, 35 assists.

We are lucky to have 2 LW'ers that play at a level where we need to discuss who should be 1st / 2nd -
Ehlers is the better puck carrier, especially exiting and entering the zone - he helps a drive the second line better than KC - and the second line currently needs someone to drive it.

Would he outperform KC with top line minutes? Maybe, maybe not - the better question is will the 2 of them equal total production if they reversed roles.

Sometimes we need to remember that the distribution of talent is more important than an individuals personal performance when compared to another. Both these guys are paid well and get solid minutes -

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
We are lucky to have 2 LW'ers that play at a level where we need to discuss who should be 1st / 2nd -
Ehlers is the better puck carrier, especially exiting and entering the zone - he helps a drive the second line better than KC - and the second line currently needs someone to drive it.

Would he outperform KC with top line minutes? Maybe, maybe not - the better question is will the 2 of them equal total production if they reversed roles.

Sometimes we need to remember that the distribution of talent is more important than an individuals personal performance when compared to another. Both these guys are paid well and get solid minutes -
To me you aren't taking Connor off the first line so unless Wheeler comes off Ehlers will be 2nd line. I don't think having Ehlers on the second line is a bad thing because it gets him away from the top pairing defensemen which is a great advantage for the Jets . Sometimes you have to think what makes the team better not the individual. :thumbu: I don't think Wheeler will be on the #1 line forever .

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nice to see Nik getting his dues. I don’t mind spreading the talent around and having Nik drive the second line. One thing I would like to see though is more time sharing between Nik and Kyle on the #1 pp. when it’s slumping bring in Nik for his zone entry prowess as a change of pace. He could slot into Kyle’s low post position and add his unique elements to the unit. Having multiple looks makes it harder to defend.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Nice to see Nik getting his dues. I don’t mind spreading the talent around and having Nik drive the second line. One thing I would like to see though is more time sharing between Nik and Kyle on the #1 pp. when it’s slumping bring in Nik for his zone entry prowess as a change of pace. He could slot into Kyle’s low post position and add his unique elements to the unit. Having multiple looks makes it harder to defend.
You think he woukd look good low post? You may as well hope he and Wheeler sub in for each on 1pp as it’s just as likely and he’d do better on the board position.

Reactions: hn777 and LowLefty

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agree but i would take Wheeler off and put Ehlers there instead and i think that's going to happen eventually. Scheifele , Connor, Laine , Ehlers and either Pionk or Morrissey at the point sounds very good to me.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

Great post I was thinking the same thing before bed. There is only so much ice time to go around. Giving ehlers more of Connors could very well mean we are asking why Connors goals go from mid 40s to 30 a year.

Very good problem to have

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
More time on ice doesnt mean he is going to score with it. This is the NHL you score to earn your time on ice if your in the top 6. So the theory he just needs more ice time doesn't work for me

Using your theory - he has done exactly that, but not gotten the TOI he has earned. It doesn't matter how you choose to look at it, he has done everything except getting favoured by the coach.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Right or wrong, I think you have identified Mau's thinking. TBH, I have no problem with it - as long as it is recognized for what it is. The 1st line has a need for KC's forecheck and finish. The 2nd line has a need for Ehlers' D, zone exits/entries, playmaking, line driving - and finish.

Reactions: hn777

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Using your theory - he has done exactly that, but not gotten the TOI he has earned. It doesn't matter how you choose to look at it, he has done everything except getting favoured by the coach.

I think his disappearing acts are what is holding him back. And if we get a suitable 2c all this talk wont matter because the 2nd line will get more minutes anyway

Reactions: TS Quint

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree but i would take Wheeler off and put Ehlers there instead and i think that's going to happen eventually. Scheifele , Connor, Laine , Ehlers and either Pionk or Morrissey at the point sounds very good to me.

I agree. I want him in the Wheeler spot as I think he's also a one time threat and a walk in and shoot threat. It gives the unit some more options.

Reactions: hn777 and Jets 31

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
What disappearing acts?

How many games did he go without a goal?? Started in the playoffs run to conference finals and extended another huge amount of games into last season??

Skate around and possess the puck al you want if your going 30 plus games without a goal your not getting first line min

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How many games did he go without a goal?? Started in the playoffs run to conference finals and extended another huge amount of games into last season??

Skate around and possess the puck al you want if your going 30 plus games without a goal your not getting first line min

He played well in the PO. Puck didn't happen to go in the net. Small sample sizes. Otherwise, I have no idea what you are talking about. All goal scorers have hot and cold streaks. Ehlers may be one of the most consistent players in the league. Shows up to play every game.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
He played well in the PO. Puck didn't happen to go in the net. Small sample sizes. Otherwise, I have no idea what you are talking about. All goal scorers have hot and cold streaks. Ehlers may be one of the most consistent players in the league. Shows up to play every game.

Alot of players shown up to play every game, if you cant finish the chances you make or provide a chance for your line mates to finish your not consistent

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Alot of players shown up to play every game, if you cant finish the chances you make or provide a chance for your line mates to finish your not consistent

I will repeat ALL scorers go through hot and cold streaks. He has never had a streak where he failed to create chances for his linemates. He is as consistent as they come.

You seem to be determined to find excuses to dislike Ehlers. You haven't produced any argument to back up your position except that he had a dry spell.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Actually, his performance in the playoffs has been good, but he's been unlucky in terms of goals.

If he had the same ice-time as Connor or Laine, Ehlers would be a much more productive player. His even-strength production is better than Connor (same goals/60, higher assists/60). Also, on the PP he's produced points at a higher rate than Connor.

If you pro-rate Ehlers' production rates using Connor's ice time over the past 3 seasons, his production per 82 games would be: 31 goals, 35 assists.

So, still not as good as Connor this year.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I will repeat ALL scorers go through hot and cold streaks. He has never had a streak where he failed to create chances for his linemates. He is as consistent as they come.

You seem to be determined to find excuses to dislike Ehlers. You haven't produced any argument to back up your position except that he had a dry spell.

I love Ehlers.... I came on board a little late because I figured Petan was the better player......"shrugs" but I think it's safe to say I am an Ehlers fan.....

having said all that...Ehlers can do amazing things and is a great player And I can't believe were talking about a guy who probably scores 30 this year and excepting Injury i think is a legit 30 goal guy every year.... like he's "no good"

But.
Ehlers has difficulties in his game. It's why he is where he is. I think Connor has a more complete game and is probably better against the best in the league than Nik is.....

the great news is we have both guys.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
What disappearing acts?
Ehlers definitely goes in streaks where he doesn't want to drive the hard areas of the offensive zone. Instead of crossing the offensive blue line and going to the middle to create scoring he stays on the outside and skates the perimeter of the offensive zone. Once he decides to skate it around the net it's over. He loses the advantage of his zone entry, the other team catches up, he skates around the net and nothing good happens once he is facing his own net because his only option is to pass.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I love Ehlers.... I came on board a little late because I figured Petan was the better player......"shrugs" but I think it's safe to say I am an Ehlers fan.....

having said all that...Ehlers can do amazing things and is a great player And I can't believe were talking about a guy who probably scores 30 this year and excepting Injury i think is a legit 30 goal guy every year.... like he's "no good"

But.
Ehlers has difficulties in his game. It's why he is where he is. I think Connor has a more complete game and is probably better against the best in the league than Nik is.....

the great news is we have both guys.

Whoa!!!

Ehlers definitely has difficulties in his game. Can't score on a breakaway to save his life. Sometimes hangs on to the puck too long. But to say that Connor is a more complete player? I don't know where you can possibly get that from. Connor is weak defensively. He is weak in his own zone. He can carry the puck effectively, though not like Ehlers, but he doesn't do it often enough. I love Connor - for his play in the O zone. But he could be the poster boy for what Laine used to be accused of - being one dimensional. I think he is improving but he has a long way to go before he is any version of a complete player.

I think Ehlers is where he is because the 2nd line needs his talent more than the 1st line does. And possibly because he is underappreciated by Maurice, though it is a little hard to believe that such an experienced coach can't see what he contributes.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehlers definitely goes in streaks where he doesn't want to drive the hard areas of the offensive zone. Instead of crossing the offensive blue line and going to the middle to create scoring he stays on the outside and skates the perimeter of the offensive zone. Once he decides to skate it around the net it's over. He loses the advantage of his zone entry, the other team catches up, he skates around the net and nothing good happens once he is facing his own net because his only option is to pass.

I wouldn't put it that way. He needs to learn to be quicker finding the open man on those laps around the net. I think he is getting better at that. If he can get good at that then he hasn't given anything away. It can create great opportunities. That would be a good time to have Nik and KC on the ice together. Connor finds the right spot to be and gets his shot away very quickly. They could be dynamite.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is that a fair way to look at it?

Yes. If we are looking at the 3 year avg for 1 then we should look at the 3 year avg for the other. If you just want to compare last year then do last year to last year - after having made those same adjustments for usage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad