Player Discussion: Best puck carrier

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Ehlers was our best forward this year if you take everything into account.

He scored extremely well, drove possesion and drew penalties at an elite rate. He was also good in his own end. No other forward did all three well last year. Connor and Scheifele scored extremely well but were poor defensively. Wheeler took a step back offensively but was better in his own end. Laine scored well and improved his defense, but still needs to drive play better.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Whoa!!!

Ehlers definitely has difficulties in his game. Can't score on a breakaway to save his life. Sometimes hangs on to the puck too long. But to say that Connor is a more complete player? I don't know where you can possibly get that from. Connor is weak defensively. He is weak in his own zone. He can carry the puck effectively, though not like Ehlers, but he doesn't do it often enough. I love Connor - for his play in the O zone. But he could be the poster boy for what Laine used to be accused of - being one dimensional. I think he is improving but he has a long way to go before he is any version of a complete player.

I think he is where he is because the 2nd line needs his talent more than the 1st line does. And possibly because he is underappreciated by Maurice, though it is a little hard to believe that such an experienced coach can't see what he contributes.

I think he's a bit underappreciatd by the coach due to him being less straight lined then our other forwards.

No idea ehy he isn't utilized on the PK.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I will repeat ALL scorers go through hot and cold streaks. He has never had a streak where he failed to create chances for his linemates. He is as consistent as they come.

You seem to be determined to find excuses to dislike Ehlers. You haven't produced any argument to back up your position except that he had a dry spell.

I dont dislike him. He is just a little.bit to good for the 2and line spot and not consistent enough to take Connors spot.

Connor will score 50 one day. Ehlers will if he the jets get a C to play with him

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, still not as good as Connor this year.
Ehlers had a higher points/60 at even strength than Connor, and was only slightly below in goals/60. Connor was a bit higher in production rates on the PP. But remember that Connor played mostly with Scheifele at C, and Ehlers had a mix of lesser C's. Also, Ehlers only had short shifts at the end of PPs with much less talent than Connor.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I agree. I want him in the Wheeler spot as I think he's also a one time threat and a walk in and shoot threat. It gives the unit some more options.

Wheeler is still the best passer on the PP. I'd go with 5 forwards, Ehlers speed to gain the zone, then play the top or the boards, rotating with Wheeler. Wheeler at the top of the PP has had some good looks, he's alot closer to Laine's wheelhouse, then the 50 foot saucer he dries to dish to Laine. He'd have 2 options from the top with Ehlers also on his shooting side.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Wheeler is still the best passer on the PP. I'd go with 5 forwards, Ehlers speed to gain the zone, then play the top or the boards, rotating with Wheeler. Wheeler at the top of the PP has had some good looks, he's alot closer to Laine's wheelhouse, then the 50 foot saucer he dries to dish to Laine. He'd have 2 options from the top with Ehlers also on his shooting side.

That would be dynamite.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I love Wheeler's work ethic but he's definitely not the best passer on our team. Some ok passes are equaled out by at least as many head - scratching giveaways and forced passes that result in blown chances. Our PP would be much more dangerous with a few changes.
I'd love to see Ehlers on the half wall distributing the puck, Morrissey at the top, Laine in the slot for one timers, Connor down low in the corner, and Scheifele on the far side for one timers.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I love Wheeler's work ethic but he's definitely not the best passer on our team. Some ok passes are equaled out by at least as many head - scratching giveaways and forced passes that result in blown chances. Our PP would be much more dangerous with a few changes.
I'd love to see Ehlers on the half wall distributing the puck, Morrissey at the top, Laine in the slot for one timers, Connor down low in the corner, and Scheifele on the far side for one timers.

I agree. It's hard to say if Wheeler is the best passer in that slot or not as he has really been the only forward tried there for long enough to get a read on it. The hope with Ehlers in that slot is that his one timer and shot force teams to pay more attention to it which should in theory open up more plays.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I agree. It's hard to say if Wheeler is the best passer in that slot or not as he has really been the only forward tried there for long enough to get a read on it. The hope with Ehlers in that slot is that his one timer and shot force teams to pay more attention to it which should in theory open up more plays.
Bingo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad