Best Power Forwards of All-Time...

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
If Lemieux wanted to power his way to the net, nobody was stopping him. But overall he wouldn't be defined as a power forward.

These guys aren't the best, but to make the thread fun we should mention power forwards turned bruising dmen in Dustin Byfuglien and Brent Burns, and bruising dman turned power forward Wendel Clark

TomBlizzy12

Girardi For Norris
Dec 15, 2022
If Lemieux wanted to power his way to the net, nobody was stopping him. But overall he wouldn't be defined as a power forward.

These guys aren't the best, but to make the thread fun we should mention power forwards turned bruising dmen in Dustin Byfuglien and Brent Burns, and bruising dman turned power forward Wendel Clark
Lemieux dicing through the middle was a guaranteed goal every time.

Reactions: Primary Assist

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Based on your qualifications, Clark Gillies says hello

i’d love to hear more about some of the older folks from before the WHA merger

terry o’reilly, john ferguson, bert olmstead, guys like that. i think way back, cecil dillon was a power forward avant la lettre? and busher jackson?

beliveau, frank mahovlich, and esposito used their size effectively but they probably weren’t really power forwards were they?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

terry o’reilly, john ferguson, bert olmstead, guys like that. i think way back, cecil dillon was a power forward avant la lettre? and busher jackson?

beliveau, frank mahovlich, and esposito used their size effectively but they probably weren’t really power forwards were they?

I wasn't alive to see beliveau, but from the clips I've seen, he was more graceful than brute.

Although i seem to recall that some historians did say that he got into alot if physical altercations especially early on in his career. Not because he was initiating it, but the nhlers would test what he was made of and he wasn't one to back down. Eventually, I suppose he gained the respect throughout the league, and opponents realized the intimidation tactics don't work against him.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Gillies is closer to Lucic/Taz IMO. Big hitter and top fighter who had some years of good scoring. Him and Neely are even on the physicality side but Neely is a significant step up in goal scoring.
Fair point! Results are what matters. I do think Gillies could have been a more prolific scorer had he not been with Bossy all those years, not that I'm complaining!

One of my favorite stats of all time is Gillies never had 100 PIM in any given season

Good posts!

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

I'm a HUGE Espo fan and in his prime, he was a protypical power forward because of his net presence but also because his work in the corners and behind the net was significantly unheralded

He wasn't a fighter but his on ice power and ability to drive the game was mighty impressive

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad