Best picks 3rd-7th round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't know how you can be calling anyone a steal at this point. That is based purely on your own opinions. These players fell for a reason. Of course they could become steals down the line, but to be making judgements at this point isn't really fair to anyone. There are always guys in the late rounds that turn into gems and vice versa. Only time will tell which ones they are.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
JimEIV said:
Why? I hear he is very soft? I hope you are right though
all i know is that i saw him once and fell in love. Patrick Davis reminds me so much of marty havlat. But i only saw him once, but he had like 1 goal and 2 assists. I was very impressed, but he did seem a little "intimidated", but not when he had the puck on his stick.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
How about Nathan Gerbe, who went in the 5th round to Buffalo? He's smallish (Only 5'5) but I've seen others on this forum compare his game to Theo Fleury.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
How about Chad Rau for the Leafs in the 7th round i think. He has great finishing skills.

And yes...Juraj Mikus for Montreal was a great pick.

I think Teemu Laakso went to Nashville in the 3rd or 4th...he was a steal because he was projected as a first rounder in some drafts.

Its hard for me to think that Latendresse was a steal, he sucks in skating.

Veela

Aug 17, 2005
Prague
Tomas Popperle could have some cool nicknames if he makes it to the NHL :)

Popperle was just signed by Tampa yesterday...

I think Pepper went to Columbus.

Last edited:

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Brock Bradford in the seventh round
Levasseur
Vincent
Mikus
Trukhno
and a slew of others

This draft was all over the map, I think it's going to be one of the best drafts of the past 20 years.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Gord Baldwin, Calgary Flames round 3 #69 overall.

Great package with a ton of potential.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
Well im bored out of my mind so i will list the steals in all rounds, and some potentially dumb moves!

(No steals in the 1st round so ill just list the dumb picks)

Carey Price 5th overall, MTL picking a goalie so low when they need more depth on D and some poitions on forward.

Devin setoguchi 8th overall, SJ i only have to say WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING?

Sasha Pokuloki 14th overall, Washington Agian a very dumb move

Paul Stastny (2nd round Colorado) Should have gone 15th overall to about 30th but went 44th. Makes safe passes in defensive zone, good play maker, good at faceoffs.

Chris Durand (2nd round Colorado) Yes yet another AVS pick, seeing since they drafted so well this year. Durand looked like a sheer lock for late 1st round but went late 2nd at 52nd overall. He is a great 2 way forward, plays a very hardnose game, has a termendous offensive upside.

Dany Roussen (2nd round LA) very offensive player should have gone late 1st round

Guillaume Latendresse (2nd round MTL) Should have gone 1st round but fell and he kind of makes up for MTL picking Price so early.

Daniel Ryder (3rd round CGY) Seen this guy play he is a threat any time on the ice. He can rack up the points in the juinors like his brother. He has to prove he can play in traffic!

T.J. Hensick (3rd round colorado)Big Upside, AVS scouts compare him to Svatos, small but speedy, and can put the puck in the net.

Danny Syvret (3rd round EDM) Great D man, he can hit, score and is a pritty good skater. He was the heart and sole of the Knights on the blueline, he is a future leader since he has great leadership skills.

Cody Bass (4th round OTT) He plays a very in your face style of hockey, he will be a in the corner guy.

Ramond Macias (4th round Colorado) 3rd ranked skater going into the draft he is a natural D, good shot and can also play LW.

Josh Beaulieu (5th round Flyers) Very hard worker, and a hard hitter.

(I dont really any steals in the 6th round but i dont really see any dumb moves either)

Levasseur (7th round Ducks) Great goalie, very focused, complete steal.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
knight44 said:
Well im bored out of my mind so i will list the steals in all rounds, and some potentially dumb moves!

Dany Roussen (2nd round LA) very offensive player should have gone late 1st round

Danny Syvret (3rd round EDM) Great D man, he can hit, score and is a pritty good skater. He was the heart and sole of the Knights on the blueline, he is a future leader since he has great leadership skills.
Roussin and Syvret are both 20 years old, ofcourse they seem dominant in the leagues they were playing in, but they were hardly steals. Though Roussin has played well without Crosby, there is no doubt that he would not have been as lethal if there was no Crosby. He also looked good offensively because he played with Rimouski "score more than a salmon" oceanic. And Syvret looks good because he played for the unbeatable Knights. Granted, both players are very skilled and have a bright future, they do not have as much development time as other players drafted before them. In any draft, it is hard to call 20 year olds "steals" unless its passed the 5th or 6th round.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Le Golie said:
Gord Baldwin, Calgary Flames round 3 #69 overall.

Great package with a ton of potential.

Is this a thread about who went too high?
What about his game do you like so much? The fact that he couldn't crack the Hat's top 6, that he is an average skater or that he doesn't play tough on a consistant basis? It could be his limited skill I guess.
He is big though

Sticky*

Tommy Pyatt. He will impress. REally reminds me of Justin Williams.

Spooky371*

Laasko are definitly a steal.
What about Sihareï Kostitsyn ?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Draft Guru said:
Joe Barnes, 3rd round (66th) to Carolina.

I agree with this one ten fold. Joe Barnes has all the tools to be a franchise center, except the mental aspects of his game. He endured a tough injury that could have ended a less determined player's career, and he came back and fought through it. Big frame, great touch around the net, and a great feel for it.

If he can only get his head straight, he could be a big time steal. That can be said for a lot of players though. The ECHL is full of talent, i've heard.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
hockeyman28 said:
And Syvret looks good because he played for the unbeatable Knights. Granted, both players are very skilled and have a bright future, they do not have as much development time as other players drafted before them. In any draft, it is hard to call 20 year olds "steals" unless its passed the 5th or 6th round.
How many 20 year olds do you know that have won a World Junior gold medal, Memorial Cup Championship, the OHL championship, and was named the top defenseman of the CHL?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
USC Trojans said:
How many 20 year olds do you know that have won a World Junior gold medal, Memorial Cup Championship, the OHL championship, and was named the top defenseman of the CHL?
1, anyways im not knocking syvret, but i wouldnt call him a steal in the 3rd round, i honestly dont think he'll be a great NHL'er, i could see him being a 4/5 defenseman in the NHL, but mostly i think he will not be an impact player, which is why i dont think hes a steal. He was a great junior player in a league of poor competition to him (hes team was like 59-7 in the reg season). No doubt he was a major impact player for london, but its hard to look bad on a great team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad