• Guhle

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I’d go with Q. Hughes, Makar, McDavid, followed by Barzal and Dahlin.

tumblr_ptqkovC9Oa1s9a9yjo1_400.gif

Reactions: authentic

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Overall? Makar. Let’s not pretend we didn’t see Mcdavid skate backwards like he’s me during that figure 8 transition leg of the skills competition or any time he’s accidentally found himself skating backwards.

It has to be Makar or Q. Hughes all things considered. Technically speaking, defensemen are simply better skaters than forwards. I voted Makar in a vacuum, but if we are bringing positional needs into the equation, then obviously McDavid (same as with any forward) doesn't have to be fantastic backwards or lateral skater. In that sense he's the best.

Pretty much what Elvs said. If we're talking best overall skating, it's going to a defenseman. Some elite skating forwards, even McDavid at times, look like absolute plugs skating backwards or transitioning.

Last edited:
Reactions: lokomotiv15

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
See, now I'm really thinking about this. MacKinnon probably has the best shot in full stride that I've ever seen. He doesn't need to come out of a sprint at all, he just shoots, and gets a lot on it. That's skating ability, but it's also shooting ability.

Like I said, those four are probably the best skaters anyway, but as you come down the list it's really something to think about.

Ryan Poheling is faster than almost everyone on that list. Julien Gauthier is a better skater than most of the list. Neither of them, for lack of other skills, can really do anything at a high speed.

At what point do you separate pure skating ability from the ability to do things while skating?

Where do the grinders go? Where would a player like Carl Hagelin place in this list? He couldn't do anything except move fast but a prime Carl Hagelin was never not a top 5 pure skater.
I was already liking this for calling out Gauthier, then you brought up my BOY. I am pretty sure we are besties now.

Reactions: Machinehead

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

I think people stopped watching Dahlin a few years ago when his skating looked a lot smoother than it does today. Sure, he's still got really nice four-way movement on the blue line, but his straight line speed is not what it used to be. A Swedish newspaper did a Cribs thing at Dahlin's new house a few weeks ago and the poor guy had a hard time moving and bending over to pick stuff off the floor. He looked like I did early January two days after my first leg workout in a year.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think people stopped watching Dahlin a few years ago when his skating looked a lot smoother than it does today. Sure, he's still got really nice four-way movement on the blue line, but his straight line speed is not what it used to be. A Swedish newspaper did a Cribs thing at Dahlin's new house a few weeks ago and the poor guy had a hard time moving and bending over to pick stuff off the floor. He looked like I did early January two days after my first leg workout in a year.

Dahlin was never even a very fast player to begin with, unless I’m remembering wrong?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Dahlin was never even a very fast player to begin with, unless I’m remembering wrong?

He was never an explosive or powerful skater like a Makar or Reilly etc. Fast enough when he gets wound up but his skating ability and rushing the puck didn't translate as well to the NHL and smaller ice. As a prospect he did a lot of east to west slaloming the puck when rushing it on bigger ice.

He's certainly not a bad skater, but nowhere near one of the best in the league, that's for sure.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
McDavid might have won some nice without puck and without game on competition (which MacK didn't even attend to) but stats (NHL edge) say it's clearly MacKinnon who should be on the lead.

- 71 35kmh+ bursts this season, second highest is McDavid's with 43!

- 448 32kmh+ bursts this season, second highest is Point with 294

- 3rd highest maximum speed this season after Tippett and Point

-One of the greatest at using his edges on small spaces and offensive zone as well

Just think how overpowered MacKinnon is according to these stats.

Guys, wanna explain why every poster says McDavid while MacKinnon has ridiculous 3.5% of votes?!?
But what's his "burst"/60?

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

Dahlin was fast, but as Filthy said, never really as explosive as some others. Here's a scouting report from before his draft talking about his skating. Not really 1:1 with what you see today.

The key to Rasmus Dahlin’s game begins with his outstanding skating. He has very good speed and outstanding acceleration in both directions. His skating is sublime and at times he seems to be floating above the ice. Dahlin has outstanding pivots, agility, and edge work. This allows him to cover all areas of the ice, and transition quickly from offence to defence. Dahlin is strong on the puck, but should get even stronger, and continue to improve his balance as he adds muscle.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4