Best of the Golden age

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I could see a solid arguement made for the top 7 in your list. Well maybe not Mikita, but still. I'd have to go with a combination of old clips, reading and listening, but who knows, maybe Harvey ? I'll ask the old man tomorrow between naps. He'll probably say Mario Lemieux.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I could see a solid arguement made for the top 7 in your list. Well maybe not Mikita, but still. I'd have to go with a combination of old clips, reading and listening, but who knows, maybe Harvey ? I'll ask the old man tomorrow between naps. He'll probably say Mario Lemieux.

My old man's dead so I can't ask him, but I voted for Belliveau for his grace, excellence and length of his peak as a player. Of course I'm only going on the written word, not experience.

Hey murray, how the heck did Bobby Clarke get into this poll?

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
My old man's dead so I can't ask him, but I voted for Belliveau for his grace, excellence and length of his peak as a player. Of course I'm only going on the written word, not experience.

Hey murray, how the heck did Bobby Clarke get into this poll?
Actually, I tried to keep my personal preferences out of it & used Ogopogo's HOf ratings to pick the top 9 (which excludes goalies). Clarke is not one of my favorites but I do respect him as an over achiever.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
You are right. I must have had senior moment. Disregard Clarke. Not that anyone would vote for him anyway.

You're entitled to a senior moment any time you want one, I started 'em a twenty . I wasn't trying to be a dink, he just looked funny there.

I bet very few will pick Hull like you did... Is he underdiscussed because his career was in the States or is it because he ****ed off to the WHA?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
In the 60's, esp. pre Orr, he was The Guy. He was the player everyone talked about. Beliveau was just past his prime,The Big M was always on the verge of a meltdown with Imlach. Howe was past it. I'd say Hull was the player of 62-68. Historically though, his team underachieved, and that had to hurt him a bit.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
You're entitled to a senior moment any time you want one, I started 'em a twenty . I wasn't trying to be a dink, he just looked funny there.

I bet very few will pick Hull like you did... Is he underdiscussed because his career was in the States or is it because he ****ed off to the WHA?
I think you have hit the nail on the head. This board is very heavilly screwed toward Montreal & Edmonton fans & the NHL. Hull jumping to the WHA meamt that he missed a half dozen 50, 60 or maybe 70 goal NHL seasons. He was the raison d'etre of the WHA., Scored 77 goals in one season in the WHA, a natural hat trick against the Russians in 1974. Top scorer on Team canada in 76 at age 37. Played on maybe the best line ever with Nilsson & hedberg which was the model for Sather/gretzy Oilers. First player to score mioire than 50 when 50 was the measure.

That people rate Richard & Beliveau above him bogles my mind. I am a contemporary of all these players and remember Hull being descibed as a combination of Howe & TRichard with the best features of both.

Ogopogo*

Jean Beliveau.

In my world, he is the 5th greatest player of all time. (excluding goalies)

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Richard may be the obvious pick, not just for his skills but for his influence upon the game's culture and folklore.

I was glad to see that Red Kelly was in the poll too. How many guys can be an all star 8 times on defense and then help propel the Big M to fame by being his center?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Well Murray, I asked Dear Old Dad and he started with Mario Lemieux, then said Richard would fill any arena, said Hull looked pretty good in the 1976 DVD I gave him, then Mom chimed in with Cliff Malone who played with the Sr.Royals, then Dad talked about how they'd see the Royals on Sunday afternoons and walk home from the Forum, taking them thru downtown, up the mountain, thru Fletcher's Field, up Park Avenue, across to Berri.

The old man probably wouldn't spring for the streetcar. No farther ahead. Sorry.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I don't see how you could make a better argument for Ted Kennedy than for Stan Mikita.

Nonetheless, I think I would take Hull, with Beliveau and Harvey just behind him.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I picked Beliveau, just for the grace with which he played. He was very nearly the "perfect" hockey player: scorer, passer, leader, tough when needed but classy otherwise, made teammates better players AND people.

Although Richard had more of an impact on hockey and culture, he was a little volitile (hitting players over the head with his stick comes to mind!) and made hockey players look like buffoons at times.

Hull would be the choice had he played a bit longer in this era. As it was, he was in the NHL from 1958 to 1972, but since you stopped at 1967...

Clarke?

As someone already pointed out, he wasn't even DRAFTED until 1969. Plus he was never that much of an influence...unless it was for the movie "Slap Shot"! :D

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Beliveau, Richard and Hull are very close. I went with Beliveau. It's a shame Hull went over to the WHA because if he didn't I have a feeling a lot of people would be putting him in the top 5 of all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad