Best NHL teams post-lockout vs. the 1999 Dallas Stars

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
So, a thread deep in the depths of this forum comparing the 06 Canes to the 99 Stars got me thinking...which team, from 2005-06 on, would have the best chance of defeating the Stars in a seven-game series? The Wings? Penguins? Ducks, Blackhawks, maybe a non-Cup winner such as the Sharks or Senators? What do you think?

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
So, a thread deep in the depths of this forum comparing the 06 Canes to the 99 Stars got me thinking...which team, from 2005-06 on, would have the best chance of defeating the Stars in a seven-game series? The Wings? Penguins? Ducks, Blackhawks, maybe a non-Cup winner such as the Sharks or Senators? What do you think?

The Sabres of the same year. Remember that goal was illegal by NHL rules at the time. The most tainted cup win in my lifetime I beleive. Extremely unimpressive win.

To answer your question more specifically that team wasn't all that special. For a cup winner that is. A one off. I think every cup winning team post 2005 would have beat them walking away. Maybe the Hawks would have trouble because of their goalie but they'd likely still win pretty handily.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Tainted?

I was over in 6 games. No guarantee whatsoever that Buffalo would have won game 6 AND game 7.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The wings of 2007-2008, still I think that Dallas team of 1998-1999 was to good. Call their win "Tainted" all you will, I think even if they lost Game 6 they would have won Game 7 back at home.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The Sabres of the same year. Remember that goal was illegal by NHL rules at the time. The most tainted cup win in my lifetime I beleive. Extremely unimpressive win.

To answer your question more specifically that team wasn't all that special. For a cup winner that is. A one off. I think every cup winning team post 2005 would have beat them walking away. Maybe the Hawks would have trouble because of their goalie but they'd likely still win pretty handily.

:laugh:

They were the best regular season team in the west more than once before "finally getting over the hump" in 1999. When Dallas won in 1999, they were considered "past due." Then, they went to the finals again in 2000 to lose to the best team NJ ever had.

As for the original question, it's tough. Due to the salary cap and UFA at a much younger age, you just aren't going to see teams as stacked as the Cup winners of the pre-lockout era.

That Dallas team's biggest strength was their impenetrable defense and goaltending. I'd probably give the 2007-08 Wings the best chance of beating them, as that team was both excellent defensively itself, but also had team speed capable of giving Dallas's slower defensemen trouble in a similar way as NJ's young fast forwards in the 2000 finals.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
They shouldn't have even won the Cup that year. I'm quite certain several post lockout teams could have beaten them since the Sabres had a great chance to if it wasn't for a blown call.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Dear god, why is this idiocy so perpetuated? 'Great chance'? Even if we ignore the previous games (which point in favor of Stars) and give Sabres a 50% chance to win the OT and 50% chance to win game 7, it's still just 25% chance to win the Cup. 'Great chance' my ass.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Dear god, why is this idiocy so perpetuated? 'Great chance'? Even if we ignore the previous games (which point in favor of Stars) and give Sabres a 50% chance to win the OT and 50% chance to win game 7, it's still just 25% chance to win the Cup. 'Great chance' my ass.

Game 7 would have been in Dallas, so I'd give Dallas a greater than 50% chance of winning it.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg

That's a lot better than 0 due to bad officiating...

Eagle20

Nov 2, 2006
Its amazing how people turn what could be a good discussion into a barren thread of 11 year old whining and depressed venting. Take a Pristiq and move on....

back on topic, I'd agree with the 07-08 Wings having the best chance. Dallas had Belfour, who in my eyes was in 100% control of his game mentally and physically, and one of the best defenses in the NHL coupled with competent scoring. They were a really good team.

obviously everybody here knows the strengths and weaknesses, albeit very few weaknesses, of the Wings.

It would make for a very good matchup i think.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
I know, I was just making it as generous as possible.

Bottom line, Buffalo wasn't likely to win anyway.

This Buffalonian victim complex is really annoying.

So is this dismissive crap saying that Dallas would have won anyway.

First of all, yes, Dallas was the favorite. You acknowledge that they could have won though and the bad call took any chance they had away. Acknowledge that rather than than just dismissing it as Dallas would have won. That is the only bottom line.

We had arguably the greatest goalie of all time. The likelihood that he might steal an overtime and one game is pretty good actually.

The fact is, the Sabres are the victims so deal with it when you bring up this tainted win.

Dom

Aug 6, 2006
The 1999 were a team built for that year's style. Considering how fast Derian Hatcher became irrelevant after the lockout, its not farfetched to think that the 2011 style of play does not match at all with their talent. So if the series is played using today's rules (or immediately post-lockout), I think most of the post-lockout cup winner have a good chance of beating them. I think their forwards don't necessarily benefit from a more open game and their defense, except Zubov certainly is a lot worse.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Its almost 12 years later and people are still saying Dallas shouldn't have won the cup and didn't deserve it. :laugh:

They were clearly the better team that series, and theres pretty good arguements saying that goal was legal anyway.

08 Wings and maybe '10 Hawks are the only teams that would have a chance. Dallas was a powerhouse that year.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The 1999 were a team built for that year's style. Considering how fast Derian Hatcher became irrelevant after the lockout, its not farfetched to think that the 2011 style of play does not match at all with their talent. So if the series is played using today's rules (or immediately post-lockout), I think most of the post-lockout cup winner have a good chance of beating them. I think their forwards don't necessarily benefit from a more open game and their defense, except Zubov certainly is a lot worse.

Hatcher had a serious knee injury that he never really recovered from post-lockout. It's unclear to me how prime Hatcher would adapt.

Chara (not the fleetest of foot himself) seems to be doing just fine post-lockout. Was prime Hatcher significantly slower than Chara?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad