Best hockey player in each of the following categories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOVALEV10*

1-Most talented hockey player ever:

2-Best deker ever?

3-Best passer ever?

4-Best slap shooter ever?

5-Best snap shooter ever?

6-Best wrist shooter ever?

7-Best garbage goals scorer ever?

8-Fastest skater ever?

9-Toughest legend ever?

10-Best offensive defenseman ever?

11-Best defensive forward ever?

12-Best Goalie ever?

13-Best defenseman ever?

14- Best forward ever?

15-Best All Around Player ever?

Oh and please dont just name the players cuz I dont want this to turn into a grocery list. Please leave at least a one line explanation of why you chose whoever you chose for each category.

Last edited by a moderator:

KOVALEV10*

Here are my picks:

1-Most talented hockey player ever: Well I would have to say Jean Beliveau. Yup you're probably laughing your ass off right now but I dont care. This guy was just an awesome awesome player. He had what many people didnt, natural talent. He inspired great future players like Lafleur who inspired Lemieux. So he was the first pure talented player and thats why I chose him.

2-Best deker ever? I would say Guy Lafleur. The guy could deke anyone out and make the opposite defenseman look bad.

3-Best passer ever? I gotta admit its Wayne Gretzky. I totally agree that he was the best passer ever and that he could the see the ice better then anyone else.

4-Best slap shooter ever? Bobby Hull or Guy Lafleur... Um I'll give this one to Bobby Hull since I already picked Lafleur in another category. Hull was just an awesome player in his day and became the first player ever to scored consecutive 50 goal seasons and only the 3rd person to even score 50 goals after Richard and Geoffrion.

5-Best snap shooter ever? Dunno...

6-Best wrist shooter ever? I would say Mike Bossy. Really could shoot the puck and make it look good but I think his wrist shot was the best. The guy was just a pure goal scorer who scored more then 50 goals in his first 9 years but unfortunately couldnt do it for another season because of injuries and only managed to score 38 times. Lead Islanders to 4 cups and swept the heavily favored Oilers in the 83 finals.

7-Best garbage goals scorer ever? Steve Shutt. Just watched his hall of fame spotlight video and man this guy could score on you so fast you wouldnt know what the hell happened. And man he could do it from any angle he was in and as soon as the puck touched the blade of his stick he would release the shot and it was a goal most of the time.

8-Fastest skater ever? Um.. Ray Bourque. Despite being an awesome defensive of his time his greatest attribute was his speed.

9-Toughest legend ever? Wow Rocket Richard or Mr Hockey. But from what I've heard from everyone about Rocket I'll choose him. Also he was just an awesome player at the time.

10-Best offensive defenseman ever? Bobby Orr. Simply an awesome offensive defenseman. Over 400 goals in just about 8-900 games the guy lead the Bruins to two cups almost by himself!

11-Best defensive forward ever? Bob Gainey. Gainey was a real tough player as well. He would play with sore arms and still be dominant. Being called the best player in the world by the soviets is something.

12-Best Goalie ever? Jacques Plante. Even though some goalies of the current era like Roy and Hasek may have been better you just cant choose them ahead of Plante.

13-Best defenseman ever? Doug Harvey or Bobby Orr... But since I chose Orr in another category I guess I'd go with Harvey. A true habs legend Harvey was one of the best players of his time and his legacy can not be denied.

14- Best forward ever? Mario Lemieux. The magnificent one could do it all on the ice and turned a last place pittsburgh team into a stanley cup winning team in a span of only 6 years. 2 conn smythe trophies and 160 points in only 60 games is something.

15-Best All Around Player ever? Gordie Howe. With all doe respect to Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr and Lafleur, Gordie Howe could do it all! He was simply a dominant player for 3 decades and was still great and playing in the WHA at 52 years old!!

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mario Lemieux - siez, speed, touch, shot, could do it all

2-Best deker ever?
Mario Lemieux - great moves, incredible reach.

3-Best passer ever?
Wayne Gretzky - Vision, touch, just so much better.

Wayne Gretzky - Not the hardest, but the most accurate, and I don't think anyoe has ever scored more goals on a slap shot. Gretzky didn't have a wrist or snap shot, but he had a GREAT slap shot. Another key factor was that he could buy himself enough time to take the huge wind-up and get it off, and not have it deflected into the crowd.

Brett Hull - Hard, accurate, heavy, and can one-time it better than anyone.

Mike Bossy - Lightning quick release, deadly accurate.

Phil Espositio - dominated the slot area. Never stopped shooting.

8-Fastest skater ever?
Pavel Bure - pre knee injury. Incredible acceleration.

9-Toughest legend ever?
I never saw Howe play, so I can't pick him, I'll take Scott Stevens. A rock on defense, and a punishing feared hitter. He was also a big time fighter early in his career.

Bobby Orr - a slight nod over Coffey, nothing he couldn't do with the puck. Great skater, passer and shooter.

Most will say bob Gainey, and that was more his job to be the defensive player, but I'll take Bobby Clarke. I prefer centerman when thinking about defensive forwards, and Clarke was the best IMO

12-Best Goalie ever?
Patrick Roy - due to longevity & consistancy. Hasek had a higher peak, Roy the better career.

13-Best defenseman ever?
Bobby Orr - dominated like no other defenseman.

14- Best forward ever?
Wayne Gretzky - Best player ever, so dominant.

Wayne Gretzky - He wasn't the most well-rounded, but was the most dominant player the game has ever seen. IMO the 2nd best player in team sports history (Babe Ruth)

KariyaIsGod*

1-Most talented hockey player ever: Mario lemieux. God gave him more phsyical gifts than anybody ever to play. That doesn't make him the best player ever though.

2-Best deker ever? Hmmmm, this is tough. Today the guy's are a whole lot more creative with their dekes. I tihnk I like Pavel Bure here though. The ultimate mix of creativity and skill.

3-Best passer ever? Wayne Gretzky, not even close.

4-Best slap shooter ever? This is tough. Bobby Hull had a hell of a shot. So did Al McCinnis though. I'll go Hull because his stick was worse...

5-Best snap shooter ever? No clue. Maybe Bossy but wrsiters and snappers are so close it's hard to tell.

6-Best wrist shooter ever? Same as above. I hear Sakic can shoot em' though.

7-Best garbage goals scorer ever? Neely maybe.

8-Fastest skater ever? With the puck or without? Paul Coffey seemed to fly as soon as he got the puck. So did Orr though. In a pure footrace though you'd have to go with one of the modern players.

9-Toughest legend ever? Sprague Cleghorn! I dunno.. Guaging a man's toughness is hard. Does this mean the guy who plays through injuries? Bobby Orr sure did that.

10-Best offensive defenseman ever? Bobby Orr obviously.

11-Best defensive forward ever? Bob Gainey, because not only could he shut down the oppoenent's best line, he could score too.

12-Best Goalie ever? You could make arguments for several goalies. Hell, Bill Durnan won seven Vezinas in a row. I think though, the best goalie I have ever seen play on film, was Terry Sawchuk in his prime.

13-Best defenseman ever? I'm going to exlcude Orr here, simply because I think he's in a class all by himself. That being said, I'll take Doug Harvey. Just the definition of a numer one defenseman. Had all the tools really. If I had to take a more recent guy, Ray Bourque. Again, the whole package.

14- Best forward ever? Well, Wayne Gretzky by a fair margin. To me, what he did, especially when factoring in his physical limitations was unbelievable. Don't give me the old spiel about how he played in the 80s because he still put up monster numbers as late as 1998 at 37. Don't tell me about his teammates because he was never on the same line as Mess or Anderson. Hell, I jsut watched the 85 finals against Philly and he played with Kurri and KRUSCHELNISKI(sp? lol). I saw him play, I saw Mario play. Wayne Gretzky is the best player I've ever seen by far.

15-Best All Around Player ever? Wayne Gretzky. He killed penalties for the Oilers too you know... No, I'll exclude him here too and say.... Bobby Orr haha... No he's out to. I can't choose. Arguments could be made for everyone from Howe to Bob Gainey...

BlueBleeder

Sep 28, 2004
Looking for others
1-Most talented hockey player ever: Lemieux he had everything but durability.

2-Best deker ever? Lemieux, would hate to be a goalie facing him.

3-Best passer ever? Gretzky, the assists speak for themselves

4-Best slap shooter ever? MacInnis, since I've never seen Bobby Hull play

5-Best snap shooter ever? Brett Hull, lightning quick release.

6-Best wrist shooter ever? Sakic, super accurate and quick release

7-Best garbage goals scorer ever? Epositio, go to the front of the net and let Orr do his thing.

8-Fastest skater ever? Gartner, could still fly in his late 30's

9-Toughest legend ever? Howe, I guess

10-Best offensive defenseman ever? Orr, how many defensemen can lead the league in scoring?

12-Best Goalie ever? Patrick Roy, dominated games and carried teams to the cup.

13-Best defenseman ever? Orr. Unmatched

14- Best forward ever? Gretzky.

15-Best All Around Player ever? Yzerman. Have to go with the most complete player I've seen personally.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
I'll preface this by saying that I'm 28 years old so a lot of the players mentioned about such as Shutt and Harvey are outside of my knowledge... I can't really compare them to today's stars... So, I'm going to make this my list of best of my time, not best ever:

1-Most talented hockey player of my time: Wayne Gretzky
2-Best deker of my time? Mario Lemieux
3-Best passer of my time? Wayne Gretzky
4-Best slap shooter of my time? Al MacInnis
5-Best snap shooter of my time? Wendel Clark
6-Best wrist shooter of my time? Mike Bossy (Mogilny is very good too)
7-Best garbage goals scorer of my time? Dino Ciccarelli
8-Fastest skater of my time? Pavel Bure
9-Toughest legend of my time? Bob Probert
10-Best offensive defenseman of my time? Brian Leetch
11-Best defensive forward of my time? Bob Gainey
12-Best Goalie of my time? Patrick Roy
13-Best defenseman of my time? Ray Bourque
14- Best forward of my time? Wayne Gretzky
15-Best All Around Player of my time? Cam Neely

Now, based off of my limited knowledge of some of the older players and based off of articles and opinions I've read about them by people that know them better than me, my ALL TIME list would be:

1-Most talented hockey player ever: Wayne Gretzky
2-Best deker ever? Mario Lemieux
3-Best passer ever? Wayne Gretzky
4-Best slap shooter ever? Al MacInnis
5-Best snap shooter ever? Wow... I've never heard much about anyone's snap shot pre-my era... So I guess I'll have to go with Wendel Clark again... I saw him play last night on TV (Classic game, TOR vs. LA, game 7, conference finals, 1993)... God I miss watching him... What a player...
6-Best wrist shooter ever? Mike Bossy
7-Best garbage goals scorer ever? Phil Esposito
8-Fastest skater ever? Pavel Bure
9-Toughest legend ever? Gordie Howe
10-Best offensive defenseman ever? Bobby Orr
11-Best defensive forward ever? Bob Gainey
12-Best Goalie ever? Patrick Roy (If Tretiak had ever tested the waters of the NHL I would have likely chosen him, but without spending his career in the NHL, I can't give it to him)
13-Best defenseman ever? Bobby Orr
14- Best forward ever? Wayne Gretzky
15-Best All Around Player ever? Bobby Orr or Gordie Howe

I know there are a lot that are the same in both lists... I just think that with this era's equipment and training, players today in general are much better players than they used to be (i know, this is a whole other argument altogether)...

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Mario Lemieux. He had pure talent in spades, more than any other hockey player.

2-Best deker ever?
Denis Savard. Absolutely a magician with the puck, and scored some of the prettiest goals of all time.

3-Best passer ever?
Wayne Gretzky. This isn't even close. A tape to tape 40 foot saucer pass was as easy for him as picking his nose.

Wayne Gretzky again. If you watch some of his old goals, he really hummed the puck, and it was deadly accurate. After 1991 (the cross-check), his back was probably far too weak for him to bust it out as often as he used to, but when he did, it was in.

Brett Hull - Usually associated with a slap shot, but when he gets low and ends up on his knee, it's usually his snap shot... incredible on the one-timers with it.

Joe Sakic - He can thread the needle better than anyone, or he can just beat the goalie with pure speed on his wrist shots.

Dino Cicerelli - Made a career out of screening, tipping, and mucking it out in front of the net.

8-Fastest skater ever?
Paul Coffey - Even in his mid-30's he was still one of the fastest players in the league.

9-Toughest legend ever?
Mark Messier - Boy the man was mean, he'd dish it out and take it with the best of them.

Paul Coffey - absolutely explosive, and was one of the best long passers I have ever seen.

Jere Lehtinen - Simply one of the smartest players defensively the NHL has ever seen.

12-Best Goalie ever?
Martin Brodeur - He and Patrick have had very similar careers, on very similarly built teams. Brodeur's puck handling is the most dominating aspect of his game, and his ability to do numerous things to help his team win games is second to no one in NHL history.

13-Best defenseman ever?
Bobby Orr - he'd also be the best offensive defenseman if his career wasn't cut so drastically short. He dominated both ends of the ice like no one else ever has.

14- Best forward ever?
Wayne Gretzky - The single most dominating force ever. No player in league history had such a gap between him and the next best player like Gretzky had.

Wayne Gretzky - Best player is a tricky one. My definition is this. If you had a crystal ball, and could see the future of every player before it happened (so you have to factor in their injuries, career length, etc...), who would you choose 1st overall in a history wide draft? I'll take 20 seasons of Gretzky, over 10 seasons of Orr, or 14 seasons of Lemieux.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
1-Most talented hockey player ever: Bobby Orr

2-Best deker ever? Denis Savard

3-Best passer ever? Gretzky, easily

4-Best slap shooter ever? Bobby Hull, easily

5-Best snap shooter ever? Brett Hull

6-Best wrist shooter ever? Mike Bossy

8-Fastest skater ever? Bobby Hull

9-Toughest legend ever? Toughest? Who cares? OK, Gordie Howe

10-Best offensive defenseman ever? Number 4, Bobby Orr

11-Best defensive forward ever? Dave Keon

12-Best Goalie ever? Terry Sawchuk

13-Best defenseman ever? Number 4, Bobby Orr

14- Best forward ever? Number 99

15-Best All Around Player ever? Tie: Gretzky & Orr
Sorry about the "grocery list", but names should be sufficent in most cases.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Mario Lemieux Size, skill, sense its all there.
2-Best deker ever?
Jean Beliveau Skill and reach. Remember Lemieux deking Casey and scoring in open nets. Beliveau scored tons of goals like that.
3-Best passer ever?
Wayne Gretzky Great vision and sense. IMO he could calculate the game like no other.
Bobby Hull the guy shot 120 mph. Plus he used the worst bananna blade ever.
Mike Bossy the puck would just touch his blade and it was in the top corner.
Dennis Potvin while I love Lemeiux and Bossy, I've never seen a player beat a goalie from the high slot over and over and over again.
Tim Kerr, Phil Espisito just unreal in front of the net. You just couldn't move these guys.
8-Fastest skater ever?
Paul Coffey Orr might have been a better all around skater but Coffey is the fastest IMO.
9-Toughest legend ever?
Larry Robinson IMO toughest means giving hits and taking hits so guys like Messier, Lindros and Howe are out because they'll throw elbows instead of taking hits.
Paul Coffey Just "O" the guy was amazing.
Bob Gainey In Gretzkys prime the Russians called Gainey the perfect hockey player.
12-Best Goalie ever?
Patrick Roy won cups with teams that shouldn't have been close.
13-Best defenseman ever?
Bobby Orr without question.
14- Best forward ever?
Mario Lemieux the guy got 199 pts playing with Rob Brown and Bob Erry.
Bobby Orr IMO he's the greatest player ever because he could do so much.

Last edited:

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
#66 said:
Bobby Hull the guy shot 120 mph. Plus he used the worst bananna blade ever.

I doubt very much that he could shoot 120 mph...

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'm only 16 years old, and most of the players I name will be from what I've heard, or maybe seen clips/TV shows on him, so none of my answers from watching them in action.

KOVALEV10 said:
I'm going to give this one to Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky. Many people picked Lemieux just because he had size over Gretzky. Guess what everybody, size isn't a talent. Bobby Orr could score 100 points as a defenceman. That alone shows me how much talent he has. Wayne Gretzky, 200+. Ditto.

KOVALEV10 said:
2-Best deker ever?
I'm going to say Pavel Bure on this one. Only because he's the best deker I've ever seen. From what I've heard, Mario Lemieux.

KOVALEV10 said:
3-Best passer ever?
Another toss up between Mario and Wayne. I've seen Mario make passes that left me clueless, and I'm sure if I have been this age in the 80s, I'd of seen the same from Wayne.

KOVALEV10 said:
Bobby Hull. Now, I know the whole 120 MPH wasn't very accurate due to the machinery back in the day, but I've seen Legends of Hockey, and I've heard stories from past greats that would describe his slapshot, and it sounds like nobody's been able to match it.

KOVALEV10 said:
Couldn't tell ya. Brett Hull maybe?

KOVALEV10 said:
Couldn't tell ya.

KOVALEV10 said:
I'll say Bobby Clarke or Gordie Howe on this one. Havn't seen either play, but from what I've heard.

KOVALEV10 said:
8-Fastest skater ever?

KOVALEV10 said:
9-Toughest legend ever?
Ted Lindsay is the first name that comes to mind. They dont name him Terrible Ted for nothing.

KOVALEV10 said:
Take a wild guess. *Cough* ORR! *Cough*

KOVALEV10 said:
Guy Carbonneau come to mind.

KOVALEV10 said:
12-Best Goalie ever?
Everboy says Patrick Roy. I say Jacques Plante.

KOVALEV10 said:
13-Best defenseman ever?
Bobby O.

KOVALEV10 said:
14- Best forward ever?
Mario or Wayne. Make your pick.

KOVALEV10 said:
Doug Gilmour or Bobby Clarke?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
]1-Most talented hockey player ever:
Gretzky- in a cakewalk
2-Best deker ever?
Mario Lemieux
3-Best passer ever?
Gretzky, not even close
Al Macinnis
Mike Bossy
Joe Sakic
Tim Kerr
8-Fastest skater ever?
Glen Anderson Best skater? Paul Coffey
9-Toughest legend ever?
Larry Robinson
Paul Coffey- I am too young to remember ORr
Guy Carbonneau
12-Best Goalie ever?
Grant Fuhr
13-Best defenseman ever?
Ray Borque
14- Best forward ever?
Wayne Gretzky
Wayne Gretzky

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
dawgbone said:
I doubt very much that he could shoot 120 mph...
He was measured in the late 60's at 118 MPH, and that was with those old timing devices. With today's speed guns, he might have actually hit 125 or so. For those who think McInnis shoots hard, he's never topped 105. Bobby Orr did that with a straight blade stick in 1973.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Most of what I think has already been said, but I'd like to throw Dave Andreychuk's name into the mix for best garbage goal scorer.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:
He was measured in the late 60's at 118 MPH, and that was with those old timing devices. With today's speed guns, he might have actually hit 125 or so. For those who think McInnis shoots hard, he's never topped 105. Bobby Orr did that with a straight blade stick in 1973.

I'll tell you that the timing devices of today are not accurate. I'm not sure whether they were or not in the 60's and 70's but I can guaruntee you that they are not accurate today.

The exact same shot fired 2 inches off the ice and into the top corner will receive different measurements by close to 5 mph.

Also I've had my shot cloced with the same device they ued for the NHL all-star game, and it's not accurate.

================================================

On anothe note, the best shpat shot isn't necessarily the hardest.

Accuracy is more important than speed.

=================================================

For a short period of time 1975-77 Reggie Leach had the best slapshot I've ever seen, very very hard and incredibly accurate.

For a career I'll take Gretzky.

Mario, pre-back injury also had a great slapshot.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
I'll tell you that the timing devices of today are not accurate. I'm not sure whether they were or not in the 60's and 70's but I can guaruntee you that they are not accurate today.

The exact same shot fired 2 inches off the ice and into the top corner will receive different measurements by close to 5 mph.

Also I've had my shot cloced with the same device they ued for the NHL all-star game, and it's not accurate.

================================================

On anothe note, the best shpat shot isn't necessarily the hardest.

Accuracy is more important than speed.

=================================================

For a short period of time 1975-77 Reggie Leach had the best slapshot I've ever seen, very very hard and incredibly accurate.

For a career I'll take Gretzky.

Mario, pre-back injury also had a great slapshot.

For the record Bobby Hull had a helluva accurate slap shot, and it was the hardest ever, too.

I agree about Reggie Leach. He was one of the few Flyer players I liked during their short hey-day. He could really shoot the puck.

If you want just accuracy, Bobby Orr wins hands down. Plus he shot it about 100 MPH.

I think today's guns are more accurate than the ones used in the 60's, but whether they are TOTALLY accurate is up for debate. But no one has ever been timed faster than Hull's, so...

KariyaIsGod*

Joe Daley owns a sportscard shop here in Winnipeg. He is a former WHA all-star and teammate of Bobby's so you know he's seen a number of Bobby's rippers. He could spend hours telling you about how hard Hull's slapshot was... Heck of a guy that Joe Daley. You ever come to Winnipeg, go see him, even jsut for the conversation.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

Al Iafrate had an undeniable cannon. Can't overlook a guy that can blast a 100+ mph shot in leather sandals, post retirement, on the TSN studio's fake ice. Yikes.

Gotta look back to 2 of my all-time favourites, Cam Neely and Wendel Clark. These guys battled in the trenches and put up some great numbers.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
kurt said:

Al Iafrate had an undeniable cannon. Can't overlook a guy that can blast a 100+ mph shot in leather sandals, post retirement, on the TSN studio's fake ice. Yikes.
I've always heard that he would take one arm slapshots from the blueline in practice. Can anyone confirm this??? It sounds pretty amazing.

Jysk

Jul 3, 2004
Skellefteå Sweden
1-Most talented hockey player ever: Mario Lemieux - Pure talent

2-Best deker ever? Mario Lemieux - Dito

3-Best passer ever? Wayne Gretzky - There is a reason hes got more assist than anyone got points

4-Best slap shooter ever? Al McINNIS - Ouch, ask Dave Ellett

5-Best snap shooter ever? Wendel Clark -

6-Best wrist shooter ever? Joe Sakic - Hard and accurate

7-Best garbage goals scorer ever? Dino Ciccarelli was a pest around the net

8-Fastest skater ever? Mike Gartner - allstar record says it all

9-Toughest legend ever? Eric Lindros :bow:

10-Best offensive defenseman ever? Bobby Orr, never seen him play but hey, hes MR Orr

11-Best defensive forward ever? Jere Lehtinen comes to mind

12-Best Goalie ever? Patrick Roy - St Patrick

13-Best defenseman ever? Ray Bourque- was there nothing he couldent do ???

14- Best forward ever? Lemieux and Gretzky

15-Best All Around Player ever? Eric Lindros in his earley years before his concussions. He was top 5 goal scorer, top 5 plymaker, top 5 fighter, top 5 face- off man, probobly the best big skater of all time (6,4 236ibs) top 5 bodycheker

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
1-Most talented: Mario. I can think of nothing he can't do when the mood hits.

2-Best deker ever? Mario, Beliveau was great at this, but Mario.

3-Best passer ever? Gretzky. Adam Oates was pretty great at this too.

4-Best slap shooter ever? Bobby Hull. There was never a more intimidating shot. People would claim his brother shot harder,but never in a game I saw.

5-Best snap shooter ever? Bossy. You saw the pass and the net bulge. My Dad'll kick my ass for saying the Rocket.

6-Best wrist shooter ever? Denis Potvin could step around you at the point and was lethal with it. Mark Howe was similar, but Potvin's was a laser.

7-Best garbage goals scorer ever? Esposito. what a pain in the butt.

8-Fastest skater ever? Who can forget Flocky Hockey ? When the Habs acquired Ron Flockhart, we were floored by his speed. Too bad, he could do nothing else. Too close though,Gartner,Bure,Coffey,maybe Lafleur,Murray Wilson.

9-Toughest legend ever? If I understand the category, Lindros from day 1.
10-Best offensive defenseman ever? Orr

11-Best defensive forward ever? Gainey

12-Best Goalie ever? Hardest choice when jumping from era to era,but I can't go against Roy. Sawchuck and Plante and a few others could be argued. These 3 are the best not nicknamed the Gumper.

13-Best defenseman ever? Orr. So many great ones, from Harvey thru Potvin and the Habs big 3, but Orr in a cakewalk.

14- Best forward ever? Gretzky.

15-Best All Around Player ever? I agree with all the Gretzky arguements but I'll still say Orr, you just had to see him.

espo*

Talented: Mario,had it all.Hands,wheels,size,vision,creativity,You name it.

Deker: Mario again.No-one wanted to have to face down him.More moves then exlax and that reach and touch!!

Passer:It's Wayne here,simply incredible and eyes in the back of the guys head.Honorable mention to Lemieux.

Slapshot:This is tough.3 guys come to mind with their power,velocity and aim.Macinnis, Bobby Hull and his pride and joy Brett.On one timers i'll give it to Brett for sure,power i'll give it to his old man and for straight lethality across all areas i'll give it to the pride of Port Hood big Al'.

snap: Bossy.Yep,it was pretty automatic with him.He'd just get it and bang!!Goal

Wrist:There has been some guys with great ones that i'm sure i'll miss someone here.Kovalev is a guy who right now has a laser.But the guy
who i think gave the hardest and best wristshot i've ever seen in my time was Wendel Clark.Sometimes he'd let them go and you'd think Macinnis just took a slapper,incredible.

Garbage goal scorer:Gotta go with Esposito here too.He'd just stick around,wave people away who wanted him to come off after 3 minutes on the ice and then the puck would just go to him and there he was.It was almost like God wanted him to score sometimes.

Fastest Skater:Now this is brutal.I think top speed going all out i would say Coffey but people could sure make good arguments for other guys.Even guys like Russ Courtnall could flat out fly(could'nt do a lot else if you ask me but he could skate)Bure,the flower,Orr,Fedorov.Whew!!Tough but i'll say Coffey,certainly the prettiest skater i ever saw.

Toughest:Another toughie,geez,so many guys.John Ferguson,Gordie,O'Reilly...i could go on and on.I can't call this one,too tough.I know thats wimpin out but i just can't,i'd feel too guilty about not giving the nod to one of those guys.This is about toughness after all,i'd have to insult someone by not naming them.

Defensive forward:Not getting any easier as there is also so many good picks but i'll say Gainey also.

Goalie:I gotta go with Roy on this one.When at his best you just knew the other team was not going to score,you just knew it.10 or 8 overtime playoff games in 1993 was'nt it?Long time before we see that again.

Offensive defenseman:Number 4 of course.

Forward:Wayne,i can't pick anyone else.Almost 3,000 points,is there really anything else to say?

All around player:Mr. Robert Gordon Orr again.Take the puck from one end and score but if it did'nt happen could get right back up the ice and make an amazing play to stop a goal.Total control of flow of game,isn't that as close to a perfect hockey player as you can ask for?Defense and offense at all world level,hockey in it's oneness,you can't ask for more of a player.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Bobby Orr..He was the best imho..and he was the best mostly on pure, unadulterated talent.

2-Best deker ever? Rick "Nifty" Middleton
Rick greatest asset was his superb stick handling ability, and it was that ability that lead to his nickname, "Nifty". He was the master of scoring picturesque goals, and many longtime observers count his goal as a member of Team Canada against team Sweden as the prettiest goal ever scored. Ken Dryden calls his goal in the 7th game of the 1979 semi-final the best goal he ever allowed.

3-Best passer ever? Gretzky-Anybody that can turn Kurri into a 50 goal scorer is a magician in my mind.

4-Best slap shooter ever? Al McInnis
Accuracy, speed and weight of his shot are unmatched.

5-Best snap shooter ever? Bossy
He reinvented the snap shot and from his place in the slot, he could barely be stopped.

6-Best wrist shooter ever? Mario Lemieux
Hard to argue against Mario in this category

Scored more from the crease than anyone in history

8-Fastest skater ever? Mike Gartner

9-Toughest legend ever? John Ferguson
He was the original "policeman"

10-Best offensive defenseman ever? Orr
For Pure offense I still take Orr over Coffey

11-Best defensive forward ever? Dave Keon
Without knowing it, this dude invented the trap. His fluid skating and innate understanding of the physics of the game made him a pioneer in the defensive aspects of the forward position. (also best back-hand ever)

12-Best Goalie ever? Sawchuck.
His shutout record will probably never be broken, 1.98 gaa and 11 shutouts to win the calder. 3 Vezinas nd a boat load of Cups.

13-Best defenseman ever? Bobby again. Tak a look at Boston's defensive record when he was at his best.

14- Best forward ever? Gretzky
No doubt

15-Best All Around Player ever? Bobby Orr
He could skate, pass, shoot, quarterback, score, and defend better than anyone (and even fight if he had too.)

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
crump said:
12-Best Goalie ever? Sawchuck.
His shutout record will probably never be broken, 1.98 gaa and 11 shutouts to win the calder. 3 Vezinas nd a boat load of Cups.

Brodeur looks to have a solid shot of breaking it, especially if he can play into his late 30's.

He's got 75 already, and Sawchuk has what, 103?

28 more, and Brodeur recorded 20 shutouts (total) his last 2 seasons.

I certainly won't argue with your pick, but that record won't last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad