Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
McDavid at full speed has the best control of the puck in the league

It never really crossed my mind in a "best hands" poll...but yeah, absolutely. I suppose that merits some real consideration, because the way McDavid's puckhandling ability doesn't seem to drop of at all, even at top speed, really is something special.

But overall, all things considered, Patty Kane is still the better puckhandler imo. An absolute wizard who not only has elite high speed puckhandling ability, but can stickhandle in a phonebooth and is insanely deceptive at any speed.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
This shouldn't even be a vote. I have never used this before but for this case I will.

Kane AINEC.

Second tier you could add: Panarin/Johnny Hockey/Sid/Kuch/Kuz/McDavid.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Likewise, it doesn't make sense to hold it against guys like Kane who can't skate that fast.

Who has a better resume right now in terms of stickhandling: Kane or McDavid? There's your answer. McDavid doesn't suddenly get bonus pts because of his speed.
It's not a slight against Kane as much as it's giving credit to McDavid for having ridiculous puck handling ability at top speed.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
So McDavid got best hands and speed why is it that he cant dominate then? Potato iq?
Weak shot and inept powerplay. He's 2nd in ES points and leads the league in just about all scoring chance metrics at evens.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Weak shot and inept powerplay. He's 2nd in ES points and leads the league in just about all scoring chance metrics at evens.

Yeah, I don't think his problem is so much a weak shot as it is that he needs to shoot more, his shot is average at worst. He also has been getting the least help from his linemates among all the top scorers, and was apparently playing sick for a month or so? But I'm not sure if that is a fact or not just remember reading it on here.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Ever watched him play? He probably has the best of all 3, or at worst top 3 in hands and IQ.

Yes but not regulary. Im just curious to how a player that's, supposedly, the best in pretty much any subjective category cant produce objective results to match that perception.

(There simply must be some flaw to his game, except his shot that is, cause else he would produce more in PP etc. Especially if he is the fastest of all time combined with best hands+iq in the league)

Kington91

Apr 30, 2012
Grandview Heights
Yes but not regulary. Im just curious to how a player that's, supposedly, the best in pretty much any subjective category cant produce objective results to match that perception.

(There simply must be some flaw to his game, except his shot that is, cause else he would produce more in PP etc. Especially if he is the fastest of all time combined with best hands+iq in the league)

What are you talking about? He swept the awards last year as a 20 year old. What results would match the perception that he is arguably the best in speed, hands, IQ? Genuinely curious at what you are trying to say here. You only really mention his lack of PP production, which doesn't generally reward his play style as well as 5v5 where he dominates.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
This shouldn't even be a vote. I have never used this before but for this case I will.

Kane AINEC.

Second tier you could add: Panarin/Johnny Hockey/Sid/Kuch/Kuz/McDavid.

No way you can say it's not close. Gaudreau can do anything Kane can, Patrick even said it himself. I can understand picking Kane but the top 3 are all close and have arguments for being number 1.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
What are you talking about? He swept the awards last year as a 20 year old. What results would match the perception that he is arguably the best in speed, hands, IQ? Genuinely curious at what you are trying to say here. You only really mention his lack of PP production, which doesn't generally reward his play style as well as 5v5 where he dominates.

Oh I dont doubt he is very fast or got great hands or whatever it just doesnt add up if he is voted best in every category pretty much he should atleast be able to outscore all oppostion by 20+ points regulary. Either that or he is overrated in one category or the other.

Besides I dont know if "swept" is the right word. He got the Ross and tag-along Hart(let's face it the trophy is pretty much just highest scorer anyway).

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Oh I dont doubt he is very fast or got great hands or whatever it just doesnt add up if he is voted best in every category pretty much he should atleast be able to outscore all oppostion by 20+ points regulary. Either that or he is overrated in one category or the other.

Besides I dont know if "swept" is the right word. He got the Ross and tag-along Hart(let's face it the trophy is pretty much just highest scorer anyway).

I provided reasons above why he isn't running away with things this season but no doubt you must have missed it.

Kington91

Apr 30, 2012
Grandview Heights

He did sweep the awards. He won the Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, and the Hart. Those are the three most prestigious regular season trophies and he did so in his 19/20 yr old season. The tag along Hart? That is the MVP award... what? I truly don't understand how much more you would be expecting from someone who is clearly one of the best players in the world - and yes, that would be a direct correlation of him being at the top in several offensive categories (IQ, hands, speed, etc.).

I can't tell if you are trolling.

Last edited:

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
He did sweep the awards. He won the Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, and the Hart. Those are the three most regular season prestigious trophies and he did so in his 19/20 yr old season. The tag along Hart? That is the MVP award... what? I truly don't understand how much more you would be expecting from someone who is clearly one of the best players in the world - and yes, that would be a direct correlation of him being at the top in several offensive categories (IQ, hands, speed, etc.).

I can't tell if you are trolling.

I already told you exactly what id expect(if he indeed is the fastest player ever, best hands atm, highest hockey iq etc). Hart is just a tag-along tropby for the Ross in more years than not, yes.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I already told you exactly what id expect(if he indeed is the fastest player ever, best hands atm, highest hockey iq etc). Hart is just a tag-along tropby for the Ross in more years than not, yes.

Well then you expect too much, this is the NHL here, no one runs away with scoring titles like that on a team like Edmonton while also playing a very good two way game.

Kington91

Apr 30, 2012
Grandview Heights

So you are saying the player who is arguably the top offensive player in the league wins the MVP and has the most points in the league, isn't living up to what you expect? What exactly do you expect? Your logic isn't making sense. He has some of the top offensive skills in the league and won the awards last year for the top offensive player. How does that not validate it for you?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
OK so am I getting this right? Matthews is generational goal scorer, is almost as good defensively as Bergeron, has the best hands in the league, is amazing offensively, creates chances like no other and yet he still can't put up a point per game?

Looks ppg to me..

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Voted McDavid but I think its him or Kane.

Why isn't Barkov an option? He has better hands than most of these guys. Honestly, I'd say after Kane and McDavid it's Barkov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad