Best GM in the North Division?

Best GM of the Canadian teams?

• Total voters

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
It's simple, did the Nylander negotiations set the tone for the Matthews and Marner negotiations? We already established that it is close for Ehlers and Nylander, then why did Dubas sign him for 6.96M on Dec 1, and prorate his salary to over 10M that year by overpaying and rewarding him. Do you think this had an effect on future negotiations? Obcourse it did. Dubas negotiated himself into a cap crunch. It had nothing to do with previous Mgt or Marleau's 1 year left on his contract you cited. It only became a problem once Dubas took over signing players.

Why is Anders Lee making more than William Nylander? Why are you going on about a 24 year-old signed in his best years who had 31 goals, almost 60 points in 70 games last year?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
A good GM signs good deals for the team and the player. All I see is good deals for the players.
All I see are zero bad contracts for the team.
Matthews signed a 5 year deal, that walks him into FA buying on 1 year of UFA. For 11.634 per, only behind McDavid. This is the best player friendly deal in the NHL when you consider McDavid is making 12.5 x 8.
Matthews is not even remotely close to the most player friendly deal (his deal was perfectly fine), and your use of raw cap hits for players signed at different times really highlights your lack of understanding.
Where were you this off season, The Leafs were in a cap crunch. They dumped Kapanen and A Johnsson because they could not afford them.
That is false. They traded those players to remake the bottom-six and to upgrade the defense, and they were not "dumped"; they returned good value.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Leafs have no bad deals and can trade any contract. This is silly.

New York Islanders - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Now that's a mess.

I always find it funny young stars' cap hits are picked apart but bottom 6 players making 3-5 per are ignored. Those deals really add up. Dubas is paying 3.1 this year combined to Vesey, Thornton and Simmonds. Paying 3+ to 4th liners is so ill-advised.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Went with Dubas, seems to be the brightest of the bunch. Handles the Toronto pressure well, seems like a good human being, and despite some big contracts he has assembled a very talented team with a nice blend and some hope for the future. Chevaldayoff and Bergevin are the other two in the mix.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
A good GM signs good deals for the team and the player. All I see is good deals for the players. Matthews signed a 5 year deal, that walks him into FA buying only 1 year of UFA. For 11.634 per, only behind McDavid. This is the best player friendly deal in the NHL when you consider McDavid is making 12.5 x 8. Where were you this off season, The Leafs were in a cap crunch. They dumped Kapanen and A Johnsson because they could not afford them. Do you not at least recognize when you spend almost 49.6% of your cap resources on just 4 players. The cap crunch is Dubas' making. He's the GM that signed those 4 players.
First of all its kinda funny how you repeatedly called me out for ignoring and now you're ignoring every other poster replying to you.

They couldnt not afford Kap/Johnsson. If they did absolutely nothing they could still be here. But that wouldnt make any sense given the hole at D. So they moved them and allocated the $ to Brodie/Bogosian. And looking at the Kapanen deal it doesnt exactly look like a cap dump lol.

I dont see anyone complaining about paying very good players very good money. There is no cap space tied up in bad deals so there are no anchors.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Is none of the above an option?
I wouldn’t hire a single one of these dolts. Which probably helps explain why a Canadian team hasn’t won a Cup in decades and none currently look like top contenders.

Incidentally I think that this North Division will be good for some Canadian teams, one of them will win the division and that would not be likely otherwise.

All were expected to finish between last and "battling for playoffs" - except maybe Toronto that on paper should deliver more.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
First of all its kinda funny how you repeatedly called me out for ignoring and now you're ignoring every other poster replying to you.

They couldnt not afford Kap/Johnsson. If they did absolutely nothing they could still be here. But that wouldnt make any sense given the hole at D. So they moved them and allocated the $ to Brodie/Bogosian. And looking at the Kapanen deal it doesnt exactly look like a cap dump lol.

I dont see anyone complaining about paying very good players very good money. There is no cap space tied up in bad deals so there are no anchors.
Posters can choose to ignore posters on this site, especially if they deem it has no bearing on the discussion or it is not worth their time responding. It's not your call. And believe it or not, I don't think engaging in recycled discussions helps the topic.

Now, let's get back to our discussion which is on the GM that is being discussed here. Who was the GM that decided to commit 49.6% of an entire team's cap to 4 players to restrict the team from resigning Kapanen or A Johnsson just to name 2 players?

And you still have yet to answer, did the precedent of the Nylander negotiations have a bearing to how Matthews and Marner's agents handled their negotiations. We know the result, none were team discounts, all were player friendly, and 49.6% on 4 players affected the cap. I would appreciate a honest answer.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Posters can choose to ignore posters on this site, especially if they deem it has no bearing on the discussion or it is not worth their time responding.
Or in this case, when you have zero answer for the false and misleading claims/statements you are making.
And believe it or not, I don't think engaging in recycled discussions helps the topic.
Your entire argument is a recycled discussion that has been repeatedly disproven ad nauseam.
Who was the GM that decided to commit 49.6% of an entire team's cap to 4 players to restrict the team from resigning Kapanen or A Johnsson just to name 2 players?
What are you even talking about? They re-signed both Kapanen and Johnsson.
did the precedent of the Nylander negotiations have a bearing to how Matthews and Marner's agents handled their negotiations.
The only precedent set in the Nylander negotiations was that Dubas was willing to play hardball and stick to what worked for the team moving forward. The Nylander and Matthews/Marner negotiations had nothing to do with one another.

Reactions: CatchyTune

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Posters can choose to ignore posters on this site, especially if they deem it has no bearing on the discussion or it is not worth their time responding. It's not your call. And believe it or not, I don't think engaging in recycled discussions helps the topic.

Now, let's get back to our discussion which is on the GM that is being discussed here. Who was the GM that decided to commit 49.6% of an entire team's cap to 4 players to restrict the team from resigning Kapanen or A Johnsson just to name 2 players?

And you still have yet to answer, did the precedent of the Nylander negotiations have a bearing to how Matthews and Marner's agents handled their negotiations. We know the result, none were team discounts, all were player friendly, and 49.6% on 4 players affected the cap. I would appreciate a honest answer.
I mean everyone quoting you is speaking relative to the discussion. Nobodies telling you their favorite ice cream flavor. Its all relevant. Nothings recycled.

And what do you mean? they did re sign Kapanen and Johnsson and traded them for assets to better utilize cap space.

And no i dont think Nylanders deal effected theirs. None of them are bad so whats there to complain about and dwell over?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I mean everyone quoting you is speaking relative to the discussion. Nobodies telling you their favorite ice cream flavor. Its all relevant. Nothings recycled.

And what do you mean? they did re sign Kapanen and Johnsson and traded them for assets to better utilize cap space.

And no i dont think Nylanders deal effected theirs. None of them are bad so whats there to complain about and dwell over?
I disagree on all accounts. Dubas being out negotiated by Nylander's agent certainly had a bearing on how he was perceived by other agents. We know this since Agents voted overwhelmingly he was the easiest GM to get a great deal for their clients.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I disagree on all accounts. Dubas being out negotiated by Nylander's agent certainly had a bearing on how he was perceived by other agents. We know this since Agents voted overwhelmingly he was the easiest GM to get a great deal for their clients.
So why dont the leafs have multiple unmovable deals?

I would focus more on negotiation results than GM polls

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Dubas being out negotiated by Nylander's agent certainly had a bearing on how he was perceived by other agents. We know this since Agents voted overwhelmingly he was the easiest GM to get a great deal for their clients.
Dubas was not out-negotiated by Nylander's agent, that's not even what the poll was, and a whole 6 agents in a meaningless poll is not remotely close to an "overwhelming majority" opinion.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So why dont the leafs have multiple unmovable deals?

I would focus more on negotiation results than GM polls
I am not an Agent, but even I can smell blood in which how Nylander's agent worked Dubas in their negotiation. Actually I focus on results. I am not sure you do. 49.6% of the cap on 4 players. Almost half the team's cap is spent on 4 players. Zero are team discounts, none are good to their comparables, and all created the team's cap crunch where they had to unload good depth players. The Agents poll is just added confirmation to my posts.

As I said in my opening post, the jury's still out on Dubas. He still has a ways to go to be considered the best GM in the Canadian division. Making the playoffs this year and winning a rd would be a start. The North is probably the weakest division. Not sure if that would prove anything.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
none are good to their comparables, and all created the team's cap crunch where they had to unload good depth players.
All are in line with their comparables, and there is no cap crunch, beyond what everybody is dealing with in this pandemic flat cap environment. Leafs are set up well moving forward, with zero bad contracts, and their core locked in through their prime. They weren't forced to unload anything; they traded some forward depth this past year to change the mix of the bottom six, and upgrade the defense, and they got good returns in the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad