Best Games of the Decade (2011 - 2020)

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I doubt I'll have anything new to offer, but here are mine, in no particular order:

1) Bloodborne
2) Battlefield: Bad Company 2
3) Skyrim
4) Witcher 3
5) Stardew Valley
6) Tomodachi Life (wife and I enjoyed the silly factor so much)
7) Super Mario Maker
8) RDR2
9) The Last of Us
10) Bioshock Infinite

HM: PUBG, The Walking Dead season 1 (TellTale), Persona 5

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I doubt I'll have anything new to offer, but here are mine, in no particular order:

1) Bloodborne
2) Battlefield: Bad Company 2
3) Skyrim
4) Witcher 3
5) Stardew Valley
6) Tomodachi Life (wife and I enjoyed the silly factor so much)
7) Super Mario Maker
8) RDR2
9) The Last of Us
10) Bioshock Infinite

HM: PUBG, The Walking Dead season 1 (TellTale), Persona 5

Damn, forgot about this one. This is a top 5 FPS of all time for me. The amount of creativity in how you could kill people in that game was insane. I don't think there is a more satisfying way than loading up a house with C4 and then blowing it up, watching the roof collapse on a few people. Or loading up an ATV/snow mobile with C4, jumping off 15 feet away, and then blowing up a squad. Such a fun game, I hope they look to remaster it at some point.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not going to do a top 10 list, but from what I've played it has to be...

1. Zelda: BotW (Just unbelievably addicting even if combat is superficial)
2. Persona 5 (One of those games which doesn't make sense until you play it)
3. Red Dead Redemption II (One of the best environments ever made, controls still suck)
4. Civilization VI (Replayability is ridiculous and way more options to win instead of conquest)
5. Nier: Automata (Combat is one of the best I've ever played in any game)
HM. Forza: Horizon 4/Battlefield 1/FFVII: Remake

I laugh at seeing TLoU comments.

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Holy shit, somebody else who plays Pavlov?! Nice!
Love Pavlov.
Im ashamed to admit I built a rig out of pvc pipe for the vive controllers to make Ads better /more accurate.
Sad I had to move away from it with the knuckles

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Personal Top 10

1) Tekken 7 (2017)
2) Persona 5: The Royal (2020)
3) Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (2019)
4) Bloodborne (2015)
5) Dragon's Dogma (2012)
6) Horizon Zero Dawn (2017)
7) Far Cry 3 (2012)
8) Streets of Rage 4 (2020)
9) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2019)
10) Pokemon Black & White 2 (2012)

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Love Pavlov.
Im ashamed to admit I built a rig out of pvc pipe for the vive controllers to make Ads better /more accurate.
Sad I had to move away from it with the knuckles

I was debating getting one of those gun stocks but had Vive wands, planning to get knuckles, so I wanted to wait. Then when I played more, I got so used to playing without them that I had no desire to get one when I finally got the knuckles. Then ironically enough, when I did get the knuckles, I hated them for Pavlov and still play it with the Vive wands.

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Firewall: ZeroHour PSVR.

I absolutely hate FPS, but it is just so amazing of a game.

The only downside is that it is so hard to compete. The servers are dominated by lifers. I have to create a new account on a monthly basis just to stay in the newbie matches, and even then I struggle.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
1. Celeste
2. Bloodborne
3. Inside
4. Hollow Knight
5. Sekiro
6. Into the Breach
7. Downwell
8. Ultra Street Fighter IV
9. Portal 2
10. Faster Than Light
I mean it’s your list and I haven’t played it but I find it hard to believe that a game that looks like it could have come out on the NES is the best game of the decade.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I mean it’s your list and I haven’t played it but I find it hard to believe that a game that looks like it could have come out on the NES is the best game of the decade.
Likewise, it's your sensibilities, but there are so many different levels that I disagree with this.

Personally, I feel that things are only good if they're done in a way that holds up regardless of trends, and if something holds up, it doesn't really make any difference what era it could have existed in (and I disagree anyways, Celeste's visuals could not have come out in the NES era, not that it would matter even if it could). The best of the modern era isn't necessarily any better than the best from thirty years ago in terms of beauty, value, and appreciation, in my opinion. Baseline/average playability/fidelity is something that gets smoother over time, but those factors are superficial at best. The things that actually matter more or less stay just as unlikely/challenging to pull off regardless of era (concepts, design, execution, art direction, tastefulness, personality), and because of that, the actual peak value/quality of games aren't guaranteed to meaningfully improve over time, in my opinion (although you might get solid ones on a more regular basis). For example, I would consider Tetris a superior game over something like The Last of Us (which I find pretty mediocre and uninteresting), personally, and there are older games that I find more visually impressive/aesthetically pleasing than The Last of Us 2 as well, despite its obvious technological advantages.

In my view, it's no different from how music or films from before the 70s can sometimes be way better overall than things that get praised today (or say, how hand-drawn animation can sometimes visually look better than the cutting edge Pixar stuff-- Akira > The Incredibles 2, for example). It's not just better cameras/recording technology = better films/music.

On top of that, Celeste isn't an old game, so that give and take doesn't even exist. It fixes the superficial disadvantages of past eras that barely even matters in the first place, and great pixel art looks way better than ultra-life-like 3D, IMO. Ironically, the aesthetically ugliest part of Celeste is probably the high resolution portrait art, which looks amateurish and not well drawn compared to the immaculate spritework, and I would argue that the story (which is still solid) holds it back for me more than the mechanics or visuals do.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Ghost of Tsushima

Horizon Zero Dawn

The Last of Us

Witcher 3

Golf Story

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Super Mario Odyssey

Bioshock Infinite

Skyrim

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hey, I actually put a list together a way's back for my own head, so it gets to pay off in a post.

My 2010s Top Ten

1) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2) Risk of Rain
3) Just Cause 2
4) FTL
5) Civilization V
6) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
7) Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
8) Undertale
9) Super Mario Odyssey
10) Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood or Revelations

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
For me:

Mass Effect 1 and 2
Halo: Reach (campaign)
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Titanfall 2 (just an incredibly fun multiplayer game)
Destiny (was really fun when it first launched before it got really repetitive)

Games tbd because I'm still playing/haven't started playing:

Witcher 3 (currently playing)
RDR2 (haven't started playing yet)

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Fortnite is getting too much disrespect. It changed gaming in a massive way. With no Fortnite, you don’t have cross-play, free to play games, and battle royale genres probably don’t pop off the way it has.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
Fortnite is getting too much disrespect. It changed gaming in a massive way. With no Fortnite, you don’t have cross-play, free to play games, and battle royale genres probably don’t pop off the way it has.

Free to play games long precede Fortnite. Cross play precedes Fortnite as well (though Fortnite was probably the big game that put cross play in the spotlight in recent years). Fornite battle royale exists because the battle royale genre had already become highly popular.

Reactions: Andrei79

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Fortnite is also mainly a western thing. PUBG and maybe Apex still eat its lunch in Asia at least, as far as I know. The former being unsurprising considering the origins of "battle royale" in general, I guess.

In terms of influence I don't think it's a stretch to say that Fortnite (as a battle royale) doesn't exist without PUBG; Epic swerved development into a battle royale mode after seeing Battlegrounds' success earlier in the year--something the PUBG devs criticized them for at the time.

Last edited:

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
1. Dark Souls
2. Bloodbourne
3. RDR2
3. Dark Souls 2
4. Sekiro
5. Portal 2
6. God of War
7. The Last of Us
8. Dark Souls 3
9. Titanfall 2
10. Pillars of Eternity

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
How good someone thinks something is shouldn't really have anything to do with how much influence it had on the landscape, IMO (or at least, it's not a necessary component of every individual's definition of that)-- otherwise it just turns into a partial popularity contest.

Especially if you happen to consider most of the things you've listed to be negative outcomes.

On top of that, the notion that not putting any particular thing on a pedestal can be disrespectful is silly.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The biggest influence Fortnite has had is cross-play across various console platforms. There's simply no way Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple, etc all agree to let people play together without the massive amount of leverage Epic could apply with Fortnite. Once that first shot was fired, the domino effect started.

Also worth mentioning is the frequency and rapidity with which live service games are updated with new content and events.

It's insane how fast Epic Games are about responding to fan feedback with changes, and how many times per year they update the game with new content and events.

It's part of the reason the game is so popular. It's so dynamic. You go away for a couple weeks and there's always something new pulling you back in to check it out.

This hasn't trickled-down to other games yet, but based on what friends in game development are saying, pretty much everybody is eying Fortnite as the model moving forward, and putting a lot more planning, staff and money into their live services teams to make sure there aren't the traditional down periods between content drops.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Free to play games long precede Fortnite. Cross play precedes Fortnite as well (though Fortnite was probably the big game that put cross play in the spotlight in recent years). Fornite battle royale exists because the battle royale genre had already become highly popular.

Fortnite popularized all of these things in a super influential way. Fortnite became the model to which games like Warzone, Apex and Rogue Company operate.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Fortnite popularized all of these things in a super influential way. Fortnite became the model to which games like Warzone, Apex and Rogue Company operate.

It popularized them with North American tweens. Other games were already doing them globally. As others have mentioned the biggest bullet point for Fortnite is crossplay. Rocket League did a bit of work there prior but it wasn't Fortnite big.

That and its god awful aesthetic that every game still tries to copy for some reason.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I'm fine with Fornite not being on any list and I cant understand how someone can conclude leaving it off those lists would equate to disrespect. This isn't a thread about the most influential or popular games. I feel that leaving off Fortnite is pretty much in line with expectations on a list like this.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
If you want to make a list purely based on "influence" in gaming over the past decade you're talking about Dark Souls, PUBG, and a whole grip of mobile games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad