Best fights/fighters you've seen live?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Hey guys, just wondering what some of the best events you've ever attended are, or who are some of the great fighters you've had a chance to see fight. I was talking with a buddy of mine about all the superstars we've had the chance to see live in various sports over the years, and it brought back some pretty good memories.

For me, I've been lucky enough to catch a few UFC events in Vancouver, Seattle, and Las Vegas, and an amazing Strikeforce card in San Jose.

The biggest fight I got to see live was probably Fedor vs Werdum, where Fedor suffered the first loss of his career. What a shocking fight that was. There were so many Russian fans there. The place went quiet when he lost, with the exception of Werdum & his corner, and a minority of Werdum fans in the building. You could hear the celebrations down in the dressing room area as we were making our way out of the building. What a night for Werdum.

Notable fighters I've seen compete:

- F. Emelianenko
- F. Werdum
- C. Weidman
- "Shogun" Rua
- BJ Penn
- C. MacGregor
- D. Cruz
- J. Dos Santos
- "Mighty Mouse" Johnson x3
- B. Henderson
- Nate Diaz
- A. Gustafsson
- R. MacDonald x2
- D. Maia
- T. Woodley
- D. Poirer x2
- D. Cerrone x2
- S. Carwin
- E. Alvarez
- J. Thomson
- "Cyborg" Justino
- Cung Le
- Y. Romero
- T. Kennedy

If you get a chance, get floor seats to an event sometime. Some of the "fight night" type cards might have floor tickets that don't even cost that much. The coolest thing about floor seats is you get to interact with loads of inactive fighters in and around the entrances, hallways, bathrooms, etc. It's pretty cool. I managed to have brief chats with people like Dana White, Ronda Rousey, Anthony Pettis, Gilbert Melendez, King Mo Lawal, Josh Thomson, Pat Barry, etc. All super outgoing and friendly. You can tell they like to be recognized and say a quick hello to their fans.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Only been to 1 UFC show which was the Melbourne show in November last year. Ronda got KOd by Holm.

We are rumored to get another show later this year so I'll be all over that.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Only been to 1 UFC show which was the Melbourne show in November last year. Ronda got KOd by Holm.

We are rumored to get another show later this year so I'll be all over that.

Wow, what a landmark fight for the landscape of MMA that was. Did you take part in any of the other festivities leading up to the event?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Wow, what a landmark fight for the landscape of MMA that was. Did you take part in any of the other festivities leading up to the event?

Yes. Had few beers before going in.

I'll be honest it felt pretty good being part of the largest UFC crowd ever.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
UFC 120 (London), 122 (Oberhausen, Germany) and 187 (MGM Grand) + a half-dozen small shows nobody has ever heard of.

P4P top 15:

Vitor Belfort
Chris Weidman
Andrei Arlovski
Carlos Condit
Daniel Cormier
Alexander Gustafsson (prelims vs Cyrille Diabate at UFC 120)
Yoshihiro Akiyama
Joseph Benavidez
Rumble Johnson
Michael Bisping
Mike Pyle
Travis Browne
Yushin Okami
Vladimir Matyushenko
Dan Hardy

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Yes. Had few beers before going in.

I'll be honest it felt pretty good being part of the largest UFC crowd ever.

Yeah, that rules. What about the weigh-ins and stuff? One thing I really dig about MMA is how accessible all the athletes are, leading up to the event. Especially inactive ones, that are just there to represent the organization and enjoy the event. It's so different from the major sports in that regard.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
UFC 120 (London), 122 (Oberhausen, Germany) and 187 (MGM Grand) + a half-dozen small shows nobody has ever heard of.

P4P top 15:

Vitor Belfort
Chris Weidman
Andrei Arlovski
Carlos Condit
Daniel Cormier
Alexander Gustafsson (prelims vs Cyrille Diabate at UFC 120)
Yoshihiro Akiyama
Joseph Benavidez
Rumble Johnson
Michael Bisping
Mike Pyle
Travis Browne
Yushin Okami
Vladimir Matyushenko
Dan Hardy

Arlovski is one of my all-time faves. I hope I get a chance to see him in action someday. Not sure how many fights he has left in the tank, though.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I've been to a handful of cards. I think Liddell v Rampage 2 was the biggest fight, but the craziest fight on that card was Houston Alexander v Keith Jardine. Really unexpected.

The loudest an arena got for me was when Tito choked out Bader in Vegas. Another unexpected one.

But yeah.. Liddell, Rampage, Rumble, Hendricks, Lil Nog, Condit, Wanderlei, Faber, Cruz, Tito, JDS.. lots of good ones.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Most shocking finish I saw was probably when Anderson front kicked Belfort in the face, the place went nuts. Biggest fight was probably Lesnar/Carwin.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah, that rules. What about the weigh-ins and stuff? One thing I really dig about MMA is how accessible all the athletes are, leading up to the event. Especially inactive ones, that are just there to represent the organization and enjoy the event. It's so different from the major sports in that regard.

Never done weigh-ins but that's on the list for next time. Had to work last time.

As for ringside, it was the plan to sit ringside but the tickets were crazy expensive. $500 a pop.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I've been to a handful of cards. I think Liddell v Rampage 2 was the biggest fight, but the craziest fight on that card was Houston Alexander v Keith Jardine. Really unexpected.

The loudest an arena got for me was when Tito choked out Bader in Vegas. Another unexpected one.

But yeah.. Liddell, Rampage, Rumble, Hendricks, Lil Nog, Condit, Wanderlei, Faber, Cruz, Tito, JDS.. lots of good ones.

Liddell Rampage would've been awesome. Going to a Tito Ortiz fight back in his heyday would have been great I think. Would've been cool to see his following, see what shirt he was going to wear, etc. Tito/Bader not so much though. Were there a ton of Tito fans there?

I'm hoping to catch a Nick Diaz fight one of these days.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Liddell Rampage would've been awesome. Going to a Tito Ortiz fight back in his heyday would have been great I think. Would've been cool to see his following, see what shirt he was going to wear, etc. Tito/Bader not so much though. Were there a ton of Tito fans there?

I'm hoping to catch a Nick Diaz fight one of these days.

Yeah, Liddell/Rampage was great. That was right when the new MMA boom picked up.. I remember flying into Vegas and there were magazines (ESPN I think) with Chuck on the front covers, huge stories about him. Everything was Chuck, Chuck, Chuck. Then once Rampage hit him, you could hear a pin drop in that place.

I never got to see a younger Tito, but Tito/Bader was still fun. When Tito caught that choke the whole place exploded. A good mixture of people loving Tito and hating Bader. It still felt like the loudest sporting event I've ever been to, though Raffi Torres scoring in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final to win it was right up there too.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
It still felt like the loudest sporting event I've ever been to, though Raffi Torres scoring in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final to win it was right up there too.

Haha, I bet. When I saw McGregor beat Poirer it was crazy loud too. I think the loudest fans I've ever heard was at the Seahawks/Packers NFC Championship when Seattle put together an impossible comeback. I'm not sure anything I attend again will ever top that.

Has anyone seen Lesnar fight?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I was there when Lesnar beat Carwin.

What a shift of fortunes that fight had! I remember being so amazed that the fight wasn't stopped, but at the same time being so frustrated with Carwin for not being more precise with his strikes. He sure paid for it. He let the championship slip through his fingers there.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Cool topic kurt and a fun stroll down memory lane for me.

For me seeing GSP win his first welterweight title was probably the most high profile fight I've ever seen live. I've seen some legends over the years (Liddell, Couture, Frank Shamrock, Minotauro, Jens Pulver, Matt Hughes, and Tito Ortiz), but what was really neat was cataloging some of the current stars who I saw in their early years (Aldo, Cerrone, Dunham, Rockhold, Cyborg, GSP and Diego Sanchez).

Most awkward moment: running into Anthony Johnson at the Strikeforce event. He was just coming off a handful of brutal knockouts to start off his UFC career. I said something along the lines of "Man, Anthony Johnson...you're gonna be REALLY good someday." I think he was high or something, because he just stared at me. I then considered how my comment may have been construed and backed tracked with "I mean, umm, you're REALLY good right now...errr umm." Yeah...I walked away after that.

UFC 54 - My one and only fight in Vegas. I always say that fight fans need to experience at least one UFC fight in Vegas, although costs are getting a bit prohibitive these days. The UFC's lack of depth showed, but this was still an amazing card all around. Notables aspects: Tim Sylva and James Irvin with brutal, highlight reel KOs--unfortunately Tra Telligman would never fight again due to being on the receiving end of Sylvia's high kick; a young, pre-title GSP; Randy Couture fighting somewhat close to his prime; Chuck's first title defense).

UFC 65 - GSP defeating Hughes for his first title reign. One of the most exciting conclusions to a card.

UFC 73 - Perhaps top to bottom the most stacked card on paper, but produced some real duds. Anderson delivered in defeating Marquardt, but Sean Sherk did what he does best and won a boring decision and you had the draw between Tito and Rashad, despite all the crap talking. Minotauro's UFC debut against Heath Herring was decent, but with so many decisions and two title fights, Florian/Robinson was thrown on after the Silva fight in a rushed production that came off really odd.

UFC 150 - Benson Henderson went over Frankie Edgar in what is likely the worst decision I've ever seen live. In contrast, Cerrone coming from behind to KO Melvin Guillard in front of a friendly "home"-town crowd was one of the most exciting things I've seen live.

Then there was the string of WEC cards when Urijah Faber was the company's poster-boy and they set-up shop in Sacramento:
WEC 34 - Notable names: Mark Munoz, Urijah Faber, Jens Pulver, a young Donald Cerrone, and an extremely young Jose Aldo in his first North American fight. The promotion was taking a page out of the UFC's book and using an over the hill "legend" to push its champion to create credibility. Pulver didn't put up much of a fight and got dominated for 5 rounds. He would lose his next 4 with the promotion before being cut.

WEC 41 - Many of the same names. Faber vs. Brown in the main with Jose Aldo nipping at the heels of the winner with a spectacular and nearly immediate flying knee KO of Cub Swanson moments earlier.

WEC 46 - Varner vs. Henderson in the main. Urijah Faber tapped Raphael Assuncao in a dominating performance in the co. Otherwise, fairly unmemorable card.

WEC 48 - The WEC's only pay-per-view event. Faber vs. Aldo in the main event. Faber showed some real heart, but was completely outclassed by Aldo, who utilized legs kicks to such efficiency that Faber needed to be helped out of the cage and was on crutches following the fight.

Strikeforce: Shamrock and Diaz - Notables: an up and coming Cris Cyborg (who would fight Carano next) and an unknown Luke Rockhold fighting for the 5th time. Scott Smith had an amazing 3 round war with Benji Radach where he came from behind to win.

Gladiator Challenge 62: Sprawl or Brawl - What you could expect from a promotion where most guys and gals get their first few pro fights in: very unpolished performances, but it was Evan Dunham's pro MMA debut, so there's that. I don't remember his fight at all.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Cool topic kurt and a fun stroll down memory lane for me.

For me seeing GSP win his first welterweight title was probably the most high profile fight I've ever seen live. I've seen some legends over the years (Liddell, Couture, Frank Shamrock, Minotauro, Jens Pulver, Matt Hughes, and Tito Ortiz), but what was really neat was cataloging some of the current stars who I saw in their early years (Aldo, Cerrone, Dunham, Rockhold, Cyborg, GSP and Diego Sanchez).

Most awkward moment: running into Anthony Johnson at the Strikeforce event. He was just coming off a handful of brutal knockouts to start off his UFC career. I said something along the lines of "Man, Anthony Johnson...you're gonna be REALLY good someday." I think he was high or something, because he just stared at me. I then considered how my comment may have been construed and backed tracked with "I mean, umm, you're REALLY good right now...errr umm." Yeah...I walked away after that.

UFC 54 - My one and only fight in Vegas. I always say that fight fans need to experience at least one UFC fight in Vegas, although costs are getting a bit prohibitive these days. The UFC's lack of depth showed, but this was still an amazing card all around. Notables aspects: Tim Sylva and James Irvin with brutal, highlight reel KOs--unfortunately Tra Telligman would never fight again due to being on the receiving end of Sylvia's high kick; a young, pre-title GSP; Randy Couture fighting somewhat close to his prime; Chuck's first title defense).

UFC 65 - GSP defeating Hughes for his first title reign. One of the most exciting conclusions to a card.

UFC 73 - Perhaps top to bottom the most stacked card on paper, but produced some real duds. Anderson delivered in defeating Marquardt, but Sean Sherk did what he does best and won a boring decision and you had the draw between Tito and Rashad, despite all the crap talking. Minotauro's UFC debut against Heath Herring was decent, but with so many decisions and two title fights, Florian/Robinson was thrown on after the Silva fight in a rushed production that came off really odd.

UFC 150 - Benson Henderson went over Frankie Edgar in what is likely the worst decision I've ever seen live. In contrast, Cerrone coming from behind to KO Melvin Guillard in front of a friendly "home"-town crowd was one of the most exciting things I've seen live.

Then there was the string of WEC cards when Urijah Faber was the company's poster-boy and they set-up shop in Sacramento:
WEC 34 - Notable names: Mark Munoz, Urijah Faber, Jens Pulver, a young Donald Cerrone, and an extremely young Jose Aldo in his first North American fight. The promotion was taking a page out of the UFC's book and using an over the hill "legend" to push its champion to create credibility. Pulver didn't put up much of a fight and got dominated for 5 rounds. He would lose his next 4 with the promotion before being cut.

WEC 41 - Many of the same names. Faber vs. Brown in the main with Jose Aldo nipping at the heels of the winner with a spectacular and nearly immediate flying knee KO of Cub Swanson moments earlier.

WEC 46 - Varner vs. Henderson in the main. Urijah Faber tapped Raphael Assuncao in a dominating performance in the co. Otherwise, fairly unmemorable card.

WEC 48 - The WEC's only pay-per-view event. Faber vs. Aldo in the main event. Faber showed some real heart, but was completely outclassed by Aldo, who utilized legs kicks to such efficiency that Faber needed to be helped out of the cage and was on crutches following the fight.

Strikeforce: Shamrock and Diaz - Notables: an up and coming Cris Cyborg (who would fight Carano next) and an unknown Luke Rockhold fighting for the 5th time. Scott Smith had an amazing 3 round war with Benji Radach where he came from behind to win.

Gladiator Challenge 62: Sprawl or Brawl - What you could expect from a promotion where most guys and gals get their first few pro fights in: very unpolished performances, but it was Evan Dunham's pro MMA debut, so there's that. I don't remember his fight at all.

Awesome - what a list. Wow. Earlier era events too, nice. I wish I saw cards from those days, but didn't have the means back then. Tons of those events still had those cheesy names the UFC used to do... "UFC 65 - Bad Intentions", etc. You must be down in California, I take it?

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Awesome - what a list. Wow. Earlier era events too, nice. I wish I saw cards from those days, but didn't have the means back then. Tons of those events still had those cheesy names the UFC used to do... "UFC 65 - Bad Intentions", etc. You must be down in California, I take it?
I was up until mid-2011. Because of the Maloofs' connections to Vegas, Strikeforce's home-base in the bay, and Urijah Faber headlining so many WEC cards, we were pretty spoiled from 2006, when MMA was fully legalized in California until about 2009 when other locations started competing a bit more for the bigger events and the UFC moved into other markets more rapidly.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
What a shift of fortunes that fight had! I remember being so amazed that the fight wasn't stopped, but at the same time being so frustrated with Carwin for not being more precise with his strikes. He sure paid for it. He let the championship slip through his fingers there.

Yea I remember it being pretty crazy how the crowd went from cheering Carwin on as he came close to finishing Brock to doing a complete 180 when Lesnar submitted him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed on needing to see a card in Vegas if you're a fan. Lots of fighters everywhere, and just celebrities all-around if it's a big card.

Actually Cruz/Faber 2 was the last Vegas card I've been to - been a few years now. Fun card actually, great depth. Chael Sonnen was there as a fan, and we were behind him in line walking through the front gates. Sonnen is definitely a different kind of guy. Huge dude too, one of those guys whose bigger in person than they look on TV.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
One of my favourite moments from attending an event live actually happened during an undercard. We had floor seats to UFC 178 that were right along the pathway where fighters entered/exited. Manny Gamburyan won via submission in his bantamweight debut. After the fight ended, it was pretty quiet, as the arena was still pretty empty, etc. After he passed us and was on his way into the tunnel I shouted "Great fight Manny", and he turned, walked all the way back to where we were, thanked us for the support, and shook our hands. Kind of a cool fan moment. He's a guy that has been grinding away for years, and may not get a lot of glory.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Best fighter I ever saw was some 5'7 boxer box up this huge dude in a bar. Dropped him twice. Quickest hands I've ever seen. Let me see if my buddy still had this gguys name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad