Best defensemen in this year's draft class...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
Who are the top ten defensemen in this year's draft class? Any clear cut stay-at-homer, like Phanuef was his draft year, on the horizon this year? Any solid two-way defnesemen that love to clear the crease? Who are the top d-men this year and what are their respective styles? Haven't looked at the prospects forum in a while, so if this has been done, my apologies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Erik Johnson is the #1 dman in the draft imo. I havn't really started getting into the draft prospects yet though so people correct me if im wrong. Johnson is a bone crusher on the blue line.

Top Dmen that I know of

Johnson
Sanguinetti
Williams

Sorry I couldnt give you 10.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Niclas Andersén is a tough stay-at-home defenseman. He is physically very impressive and has been compared to Ulfie Samuelsson back in Sweden.

Erik Moe is the top offensive defenseman in Sweden. He's just 5'10 and has been compared to Kimmo Timonen. But in his case it's very early to tell. He has recently made his debut in the SEL though.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Erik Johnson is by far the best defenseman this year. IMO, he's a lock for the top 2, and perhaps, depending on the team drafting, could go #1 overall.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Draft Guru said:
IMO, he's a lock for the top 2, and perhaps, depending on the team drafting, could go #1 overall.

Hmmm, I think you'd find alot of people that would disagree with that comment. A good chance to go 2nd overall, absolutely, a lock? There is no way you can make that comment. Everything change because Johnson has stood out more than Toews has at the WJC. Big deal, it's one tournament. Toews hasn't had the impact of Johnson because he hasn't been expected to by Sutter. He's played the role asked of him. I really don't see how anyone can say he's a lock for 2nd overall, it's just not that simple.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Kritty said:
Hmmm, I think you'd find alot of people that would disagree with that comment. A good chance to go 2nd overall, absolutely, a lock? There is no way you can make that comment. Everything change because Johnson has stood out more than Toews has at the WJC. Big deal, it's one tournament. Toews hasn't had the impact of Johnson because he hasn't been expected to by Sutter. He's played the role asked of him. I really don't see how anyone can say he's a lock for 2nd overall, it's just not that simple.

Are you assuming Kessel is going #1? Right now I have Toews #1. ;)

On a serious note, perhaps not a lock, but I think it's a strong possibility. I've seen EJ on a few more occassions than just this tournament, although he has stood out and has caught the eyes of many scouts. I felt the same way about Johnson even before this tournament began. I never said anything about this tournament being a factor. It definitely will be interesting to see how it all plays out come June. A lot will probably have to do with what teams are picking. If Columbus is at number 2, I'd put money on them taking Johnson over Toews. There's still a lot of season left and this is definitely shaping up to be one of the more intriguing top 10's.

Transported Upstater

Draft Guru said:
Erik Johnson is by far the best defenseman this year. IMO, he's a lock for the top 2, and perhaps, depending on the team drafting, could go #1 overall.

Erik Johnson is not a lock for the top 2. He is a strong possibility for the top 2.

august

Sep 3, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
This are some of the best that can be draft in the 1st and 2nd round:

Erik Johnson
Bob Sanguinetti
Nigel Williams
Mark Mitera
Mathieu Carle
John DeGray
Ty Wishart
Yuri Alexandrov
Ivan Vishnevsky
Tysen Dowzak
Ben Shutron
Brian Strait
Logan Pyett
Lukas Bohunicky
Chris Summers
Mike Weber
David Ruzicka
Joey Ryan
Mike Ratchuk
Kevin Wehrs
Niclas Andersen
James DeLory

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
august said:

Erik Johnson
Bob Sanguinetti
Nigel Williams
Mark Mitera
Mathieu Carle
John DeGray
Ty Wishart
Yuri Alexandrov
Ivan Vishnevsky
Tysen Dowzak
Ben Shutron
Brian Strait
Logan Pyett
Lukas Bohunicky
Chris Summers
Mike Weber
David Ruzicka
Joey Ryan
Mike Ratchuk
Kevin Wehrs
Niclas Andersen
James DeLory
Any input on their respective styles?

I thank all who have mentioned names, but I'm still lookin for my answer.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
august said:

Erik Johnson
Bob Sanguinetti
Nigel Williams
Mark Mitera
Mathieu Carle
John DeGray
Ty Wishart
Yuri Alexandrov
Ivan Vishnevsky
Tysen Dowzak
Ben Shutron
Brian Strait
Logan Pyett
Lukas Bohunicky
Chris Summers
Mike Weber
David Ruzicka
Joey Ryan
Mike Ratchuk
Kevin Wehrs
Niclas Andersen
James DeLory

*adds matt corrente*

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Unless somebody steps up big time between now and June, then Erik Johnson is clearly number 1.

I think its a stretch to claim he'll be top 2 at this point. It may well depend on the teams drafting. He could go number 2 but that is no sure thing at this point.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Rabid Ranger said:
Let's just finish all this nonsense and say Erik Johnson is a lock to go in the top three.

Nonsense? I think it's just a healthy debate.

Kessel, Toews and Johnson will be the top 3, but it could potentially go in any order depending on the teams that are drafting.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Draft Guru said:

Kessel, Toews and Johnson will be the top 3, but it could potentially go in any order depending on the teams that are drafting.

All this crud about the top two is nonsense IMO. My point is leave it as top three and all bases are covered without the pissing matches.

joe sacco

Sep 30, 2005
Draft Guru said:

I think it may be too early to say that these three will undoubtebly be the first three chosen come draft day. While they do appear to be favorites right now there is still a lot of time left for players to improve their positions. Frolik for one is a guy i can see sneaking into the top three.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
B Boarding said:
Niclas Andersén is a tough stay-at-home defenseman. He is physically very impressive and has been compared to Ulfie Samuelsson back in Sweden.

Erik Moe is the top offensive defenseman in Sweden. He's just 5'10 and has been compared to Kimmo Timonen. But in his case it's very early to tell. He has recently made his debut in the SEL though.
1. Moe is 6'0" (182cm, although he is probably a bit bigger than that now i think).
2. Moe isnt the top defenseman born 88 in Sweden. Its Niclas Andersén.
3. I think Jonas Ahnelöv (lateborn 87) will be drafted before those two. Great combination of passing game, size, physical play and excellent skating. Needs to work on his positional play regarding his defensive game. Great potential. The scouts will love that, and he should be drafted somewhere between second and fourth round.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
ClashCitiRockr said:
Any input on their respective styles?

I thank all who have mentioned names, but I'm still lookin for my answer.

Here's ISS top 15, where they list their top 5 defenseman and give short writeups on each:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7977&mode=threaded&order=0

And this link gives you Red Line Report's writeups on the top 5 players from each league in the CHL, including defensemen Carle, Ryan, Dowzak and Delory:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp?content=20051004_141129_3512

And here's a much longer writeup on Eric Johnson, the consensus top defenseman in the class:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp?content=20051104_124356_5424

Sorry I can't give a detailed top ten, but these links should still useful for what you seemed to want.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Leachmeister2000 said:
Is he? Is he really? Can you swear to me that he is? Can you really? How can you? How can you say such things?

That Top 3 is as certain as the Crosby-Johnson-Brule Top 3 last year. Do not doubt the words of the mighty posters of these mighty boards in this mighty internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad