Best and Worst Trades in Flyers History

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Giving away Maroon for nothing was pretty brutal, both at the time and in hindsight.

No offense but at that time he still had that Fat Pat nickname and was considered a career AHLer with conditioning issues and a difficult personality.

In hindsight though it is a very very bad trade.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
First for Steve Eminger was bad the minute it went in.

Insane to give up a first round pick for a prospect who was considered a bust, blinded by his national team WJC history and a fading 12th overall selection.

I was mad at that time but hoping that they had some sort of behind the scenes relationship with him to know his upside.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
No offense but at that time he still had that Fat Pat nickname and was considered a career AHLer with conditioning issues and a difficult personality.

In hindsight though it is a very very bad trade.
Yeah and he didn't even play in an NHL game for another 2 years, and a full NHL season for a further 4...

6 AHL years before turning into something of any significant value. Even if you swore you always thought he had it in him, that's a looooong time to be a prospect.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Coburn for Gudas + 1st + 3rd was the best recent trade.

Vinny + LSchenn for Weal + 3rd was more exciting when it happened because most of us thought the only way to get rid of Vinny would be via an expensive buyout. But obviously Gudas + Konecny is a more significant return than Weal + Twarynski.

Flyers History - Complete List Of Every Trade

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
JVR for Schenn. I remember asking what else came with Schenn.

Eh...both were underwhelming. JVR was NOT working here - a lot of young guys who can't control themselves don't and it was glaringly obvious very early on he just was never going to live up to a #2 draft pick. That said, his perceived value should have returned a better young Defenseman.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Recchi to Montreal for Desjardins, Leclair, and Dionne is landmark.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I will not judge any deals using the" hindsight criteria". So I will just list the best and worst deals the moment they went down.

Best: Since they will always be joined at the hip, the Jeff Carter and Mike Richards deals, the gifts that keep on still giving.
Worst: Trading Maxime Quellet who was a 1st round pick by us,plus our 2002 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for 39 year old Adam Oates who played in 14 reg. season games 3-7=10 and five playoff games 0-2=2. For me this was like a punch in the stomach when it went down.

Spot on. Both the same for me.

If I had to choose between Carter and Richards, it'd be Carter. Carter felt like a more immediate win. We were getting Voracek who was a 7th overall pick with 3 seasons and already a 50pt season under his belt, PLUS the 8th overall and a 3rd. Then getting Couts at 8th who had slipped considerably having been as high as 2nd overall on the mid-season rankings.

As JoJo said, the worst trades look bad the second they are made... and stay bad. Oates made no sense. Only winning the cup that year could've helped cure how bad it was.

Worth noting the Caps drafted horribly with those picks and none of the 3 picks played a single NHL while Ouellet played just 12.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Getting rid of Sharp for the pile on that is Matt Ellison (he MAYBE played a handful of games in the NHL and was barely effective in the AHL) is one of the worst.

Getting Coburn for Zhitnik was a great trade. On a side note, who remembers Mike York?! bahahhahaha

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This thread is a very strong reminder, lest anyone should forget, about the value of drafting and developing your own defensemen. We were chasing our tails in this regard for decades and some of our worst ****-ups were because we could never do it. This is the scar that makes me flinch whenever I hear someone suggest we trade one of our young D - even when it is a good suggestion and a good hockey trade.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
This thread is a very strong reminder, lest anyone should forget, about the value of drafting and developing your own defensemen. We were chasing our tails in this regard for decades and some of our worst ****-ups were because we could never do it. This is the scar that makes me flinch whenever I hear someone suggest we trade one of our young D - even when it is a good suggestion and a good hockey trade.
well its hard to develop when you have no draft picks because we were constantly trading them....a different time.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Eh...both were underwhelming. JVR was NOT working here - a lot of young guys who can't control themselves don't and it was glaringly obvious very early on he just was never going to live up to a #2 draft pick. That said, his perceived value should have returned a better young Defenseman.
jvr has been a top 10 LW goal scorer over the past 6 years. Id say...that's not a bust.

Apparently, he was a prospect who half of management didn't like...and I'm sure that was a huge reason for his exit. But lets not pretend he's bad at hockey. We would have been easily better off had we just kept him.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
jvr has been a top 10 LW goal scorer over the past 6 years. Id say...that's not a bust.

Apparently, he was a prospect who half of management didn't like...and I'm sure that was a huge reason for his exit. But lets not pretend he's bad at hockey. We would have been easily better off had we just kept him.

Guy gives hugs for hits and was relatively one dimensional when he was here. I was never a fan of his, I don't think he's that great. I think he's a product of his environment - just like when you put Matt Carle next to Pronger and he suddenly looks like an elite D-man; it's an illusion that is quickly revealed when he plays with someone else.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
That was part of it too, but we also did just the worst job of identifying players to draft at the position.
I think we drafted like 2 defensemen in the 2000s with 1st or 2nd round picks. One was ok (pitkanen) other busted (Marshall).

Its not like now where we will have a large sample size to look back on and compare who worked and didn't.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think we drafted like 2 defensemen in the 2000s with 1st or 2nd round picks. One was ok (pitkanen) other busted (Marshall).

Its not like now where we will have a large sample size to look back on and compare who worked and didn't.

Our poor drafting of defensemen goes way back before 2000 and includes more than the first two rounds.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Guy gives hugs for hits and was relatively one dimensional when he was here. I was never a fan of his, I don't think he's that great. I think he's a product of his environment - just like when you put Matt Carle next to Pronger and he suddenly looks like an elite D-man; it's an illusion that is quickly revealed when he plays with someone else.
I don't really care how physical he is. He scores goals on the LW and doesnt suck at it. He could score when he was here too...

Matt Carle never looked elite, he sucked at a lot of things when he was here too.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I don't really care how physical he is. He scores goals on the LW and doesnt suck at it. He could score when he was here too...

Matt Carle never looked elite, he sucked at a lot of things when he was here too.

I hated Matt Carle but he looked like a solid defenseman purely because he played next to Pronger. Like Eva Longoria wearing makeup vs not

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Peppermint Fatty is an all-time great NHL nickname

There were memes (though they weren't called that yet) of him with Nachos everywhere. How did that start? Was it from the fun facts they play at the stadium? I noticed that Andy MacDonald's favorite snack listed was "chips" guys is so boring he doesn't even have a preferred flavor - just "chips"

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
There were memes (though they weren't called that yet) of him with Nachos everywhere. How did that start? Was it from the fun facts they play at the stadium? I noticed that Andy MacDonald's favorite snack listed was "chips" guys is so boring he doesn't even have a preferred flavor - just "chips"

I think there was a picture of him with a big bowl of nachos, possibly from the Flyers Wives' carnival.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA

There was also

Jeff Woywitka (2001)- traded for Comrie, never amounted to anything more than a bottom pairer in the NHL

Mike Ratchuk (2006)- never played in NHL

Denis Bodrov (2006)- very briefly came over to play in AHL, never played in NHL

Luca Sbisa (2008)- traded for Pronger, hasn't amounted to anything spectacular

Seidenberg is the only other real standout from the entire rest of the decade in terms of defensemen, but he was drafted later than round 2.

A pile of crap for the most part.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad