OT: Besides Staple, what other sources are trustworth (re: NYI)?

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I have been soundly unimpressed by both Dreger and Mackenzie (gasp!) when it comes to the Islanders. Too many reports in which the source is "it is believed that...." (in other word, Darren and Bob sitting around the water cooler writing down what they personally think could happen).

Also, really unimpressed by Elliote Friedman. I know he is widely respected, but even if you go back before this summer's Dipietro stuff, there are multiple instances of him practically making stuff up or wildly speculating.

So, my questions is, beyond Staple (who I give credit for just presenting cold hard data without wild speculations), what sources provide reasonable info about the Isles?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Garf doesn't tell anyone anything, and spreads poop as he deems fit, like with the Duchene rumors prior to picking up Tavares.

However, somehow one of the Philly announcers caught wind of the Moulson trade and made a very specious remark on the air during the third period of the Philly game before the trade. That was the closest possible leak I have ever seen.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I have been soundly unimpressed by both Dreger and Mackenzie (gasp!) when it comes to the Islanders. Too many reports in which the source is "it is believed that...." (in other word, Darren and Bob sitting around the water cooler writing down what they personally think could happen).

Also, really unimpressed by Elliote Friedman. I know he is widely respected, but even if you go back before this summer's Dipietro stuff, there are multiple instances of him practically making stuff up or wildly speculating.

So, my questions is, beyond Staple (who I give credit for just presenting cold hard data without wild speculations), what sources provide reasonable info about the Isles?

Isles keep it close to the vest. Their management team is so small (intentionally for $ and control reasons) that it limits the liklihood of 'leaks' on personnel.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
If you don't think that McKenzie and Dreger are credible-honestly it's going to be hard to find anybody that is. Nobody can be 100% right all of the time-but those 2 are pretty darn good.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
If you don't think that McKenzie and Dreger are credible-honestly it's going to be hard to find anybody that is. Nobody can be 100% right all of the time-but those 2 are pretty darn good.

Not when it comes to the Island. Dreger, in all the years I've been following him, has NEVER broken a story on the Islanders. In fact, year after year, he stokes all sorts of ridiculous rumors by leading with "it is believe that..." or "Isles and Leafs have had a conversation about..."

Mackenzie, I have a world of respect for. He did predict the Isles would pass on Tavares thought and also was one of the lead figures in the Luongo rumors this summer.

I consider neither to be trustworthy, with specific regard to the Islanders.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
None, the coverage of this team is terrible. If they had actual coverage that held this teams feet to the fire in the media it might potentially have an effect on how this *** franchise handles some issues.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

I think you answered your own question, there really is no one else. I've never experienced anything like it. This makes Bill Belichick look open and transparent.

What's also interesting is how close lipped those who LEFT the organization are too. You'd think there would have been some interesting inside info from those people.

Even Nino clammed up after he was traded.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
The thing with the Islanders is that they have a GM who tries his best to hide from the media all season long. Garth never speaks to anyone unless he really has to and I don't think anyone really has a clue of what he is up to, hence the lack of credible sources. Sometimes he feeds little snippets to the likes of Strang or Staple but little more than that.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I find Staple , McKenzie and Eliiott Friedman to be the most credible of the bunch. Dreger has lost all.credibility imo and comes across more as a Leaf fanboy then objective reporter. His cousin is the Leafs gm.

He took Kadri+Franson to task a few months ago, when they rejected the Leaf extensions. He basically feeds leaf fans the rumors they want fo hear: sure there is interesting in Liles.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
This organization is run in a real shady manner so I never trust a report regardless of who is reporting it until 100% confirmed by staple or the team or one of the major national reporters. Anyone who claims to have an in on how the islanders are thinking is just guessing, aside from staple who I think just assumes things.

Last edited:

Pnut

The thing with the Islanders is that they have a GM who tries his best to hide from the media all season long. Garth never speaks to anyone unless he really has to and I don't think anyone really has a clue of what he is up to, hence the lack of credible sources. Sometimes he feeds little snippets to the likes of Strang or Staple but little more than that.
What the heck? Do you want him to talk to the media? What advantage does that give him or this franchise? Do you want him to try and bully other GMs (or give the appearance of bullying) to get players? Like a certain ex-GM tried with Snow to get JT?

I want answers!:help:

Last edited by a moderator:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Not when it comes to the Island. Dreger, in all the years I've been following him, has NEVER broken a story on the Islanders. In fact, year after year, he stokes all sorts of ridiculous rumors by leading with "it is believe that..." or "Isles and Leafs have had a conversation about..."

Mackenzie, I have a world of respect for. He did predict the Isles would pass on Tavares thought and also was one of the lead figures in the Luongo rumors this summer.

I consider neither to be trustworthy, with specific regard to the Islanders.

In all fairness the McKenzie/Tavares draft was a prediction-not a rumor/report that turned out to be false. There's a difference.

And Snow keeps EVERYTHING very close. You never hear 1 peep out of him about anything (maybe because Wang tells him to, maybe because he doesn't call the shots in the first place). You can't expect anybody to be an accurate reporter on the Isles (unless they get the info from a different GM in the league).

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
Eric Hornick always provides very interesting statistics and his "Skinny" is a good read.

Other than that, there have been a ton of bloggers that have seemed to sprout up especially this year, but to be honest, it seems like they just write very opinionated stuff and seem rather clueless.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
In all fairness the McKenzie/Tavares draft was a prediction-not a rumor/report that turned out to be false. There's a difference.

And Snow keeps EVERYTHING very close. You never hear 1 peep out of him about anything (maybe because Wang tells him to, maybe because he doesn't call the shots in the first place). You can't expect anybody to be an accurate reporter on the Isles (unless they get the info from a different GM in the league).

I understand. But, when has a Mackenzie prediction turned out correct? I just don't think he has sources that really give him a bead on the Isles.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I find Staple , McKenzie and Eliiott Friedman to be the most credible of the bunch. Dreger has lost all.credibility imo and comes across more as a Leaf fanboy then objective reporter. His cousin is the Leafs gm.

He took Kadri+Franson to task a few months ago, when they rejected the Leaf extensions. He basically feeds leaf fans the rumors they want fo hear: sure there is interesting in Liles.

Dreger is still credible though, he's got sources.

Kypreos still has sources but I don't think ANYONE has NYI sources except Staple. Hornick has a nice twitter feed with Isles news. Dan Friedman tweets a lot about the Islanders and covers some practices but I don't believe he's got any direct line to Garth or Capuano.

I think it's Wang, Snow and Wang Jr as the circle of trust, with Capuano and Weight just outside, then Staple.

On Hockey in general, McKenzie's outstanding. I'd say Friedman and Dreger/Kypreos are next, then a sprinkling of wannabes like Healy, Ferraro, Shannon, etc.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Dreger is still credible though, he's got sources.

Kypreos still has sources but I don't think ANYONE has NYI sources except Staple. Hornick has a nice twitter feed with Isles news. Dan Friedman tweets a lot about the tIslanders and covers some practices but I don't believe he's gt any direct line to Garth or Capuano.

I think it's Wang, Snow and Wang Jr as the circle of trust, with Capuano and Weight just outside, then Staple.

On Hockey in general, McKenzie's outstanding. I'd say Friedman and Dreger/Kypreos are next, then a sprinkling of wannabes like Healy, Ferraro, Shannon, etc.

I'll have to check out Hornick's twitter feed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad