Line Combos: bern's suggests Jan 2023 going forward, pro tempore

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
when Goodie gets too much icetime up-lineup, his game drops
was hoping here to see Fil w Bread

Laf and Kakk could blend with Zib
and for their bunch of games recently, Troch/Kreider/Vesey were effective
while an open mind is by def open to seeing what works = considering almost everything,
I think short term we keep kid line, Agree on Tro + Kreid, but Krav must get max mins. Not only is he way better than Vesey, if this kid is gonna consider to stay and we don't lose him to rfa offer sheet, he needs to see enuf upside.
Right now, best to play him top 6 w/max mins

A rested Goodrow should be fine. Want all 3 top lines ballpark even time, so even if first line, if less mins = more rested

Mika is a Selke caliber defensive center and Goodrow is just a guy
I don't have a prob if Mika defends a C or RW --- depending on who in opposition is counterpart --- in this strategy, as long as for FOs, which is the line of demarcation I am using, Good gets most of those.
Goodrow btw, not just a guy, imp

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Ignoring what I said.
On offense, no prob
On defense, need to acknowledge + of correct handedness
Also, factually true Goodrow better for FOs

so not nonsense
if we are going by what is objective over purely subjective opinion
I always preferred playing off wing. Sticks in the middle for clearing crease and better angle for shots on goal. Can throw whole body against boards to keep puck in. Stick along boards for reversing behind net. Sure there are pluses and minuses to everything. But it seems to have become a thing over the past some years.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
My view on the Trocheck, Kravtsov, Panarin line that seems to be more or less our 2nd line is I'm not particularly impressed with any of them this year. Whatever we think of Strome he and Panarin liked playing together. In theory Trocheck should be a pretty decent upgrade over Strome just being a better all around player---he's far more likely to shoot than make an extra pass, he's more physically aggressive, better at face-offs and more well rounded....still there doesn't seem to me to be much chemistry at all between Panarin and Trocheck. Meanwhile Kravtsov has 19 shots on goal in 23 games and he's been getting a regular gig for some time on this line with our premier playmaking forward. Two goals on 19 shots is about par for the course. You're not going to get goals if you don't put pucks on net.....and we don't need another playmaker on a line with Panarin. I don't see Kravtsov driving the net. He's too much on the perimeter. His two way play has been fine but how he's going to put up very many points or score goals if he doesn't get shots I don't know.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and Mandar

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I always preferred playing off wing. Sticks in the middle for clearing crease and better angle for shots on goal. Can throw whole body against boards to keep puck in. Stick along boards for reversing behind net. Sure there are pluses and minuses to everything. But it seems to have become a thing over the past some years.
I'm with you. I feel more comfortable playing LW as a righty shooter.

Never really had an issue getting off clean and crisp passes.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
He hasn't I am saying if same line as righty Zib should use same handedness for RW = better defense. Goodrow good at FOs, better than Zib. Bread at LW process of elimination.

Ehh, no so much.
And besides, team comes first

I don't know about 1C and not right now.
Howev,
You and I look good for backing Krav and not dealing him for less earlier
TAKE A BOW

Experiment at pivot next preseason
ughhhhh this you??
Panarin is lefty shot prefers RW, eff him, won't kill him on defense to play correct handed.
panarin shoots right..........

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Again, no prob anything goes, whatev works for everybody ON OFFENSE

Howev when playing the boards is required esp in defensive (NYR) zone, having even handed ability to more readily play the puck is something that is team benefit, and player preference THERE should be subjugated

ughhhhh this you??

panarin shoots right..........
brain fart typo, you got me, I stand corrected to that detail
My main pt is correct

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Again, no prob anything goes, whatev works for everybody ON OFFENSE

Howev when playing the boards is required esp in defensive (NYR) zone, having even handed ability to more readily play the puck is something that is team benefit, and player preference THERE should be subjugated

brain fart typo, you got me, I stand corrected to that detail
My main pt is correct
There are many advantages to opposite side defensemen too.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Having the kid line reunited puts you in at least the 98th percentile on this board. Well done.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
You know it’s bad around here when even bern has the kids on the 3rd line instead of getting 20 a night

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
while an open mind is by def open to seeing what works = considering almost everything,
I think short term we keep kid line, Agree on Tro + Kreid, but Krav must get max mins. Not only is he way better than Vesey, if this kid is gonna consider to stay and we don't lose him to rfa offer sheet, he needs to see enuf upside.
Right now, best to play him top 6 w/max mins

A rested Goodrow should be fine. Want all 3 top lines ballpark even time, so even if first line, if less mins = more rested

I don't have a prob if Mika defends a C or RW --- depending on who in opposition is counterpart --- in this strategy, as long as for FOs, which is the line of demarcation I am using, Good gets most of those.
Goodrow btw, not just a guy, imp
Cause Goodrow is so much better at FOs than Zibs somehow?
Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 11.08.27 AM.png

Reactions: Nickmo82

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Cause Goodrow is so much better at FOs than Zibs somehow?View attachment 635074
that ^ is fair.

I am relying on eye test, which had commentators constantly pointing out during most of the PO esp first part of series w/PIT if I remember correctly, how abysmal Zib was on the dot.

I would agree the FOs should be determined by who is best at FOs.
This could be across the board,
OR
could be given matchup vs a particular team
OR
could be vs an individual player

But we must up our FO wins, esp if we want to be better 5 on 5

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
This is just ridiculous. Goodrow 1C and Mika RW? Absolutely not. Goodrow is a bottom 6 guy so keep him there. He is also worse at FO's than Mika. He can play 2nd line minutes in a pinch but that's it. Blais as a 4th liner and Vesey as a spare? Have you even watched any games? 6/7 type guy Harpur as 1LD with Fox? Are you serious? Trading Lindgren's top value 3 mil per year contract? Again, are you serious? Robertson as 2nd line LD with Schneider? He's struggling at Hartford with consistency and you want to put him on the 2nd line D with 20yo Schneider and move Kam and Trouba to 3rd pairing. That should do wonders for this team in their own zone. Absolute trash.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is just ridiculous. Goodrow 1C and Mika RW? Absolutely not. Goodrow is a bottom 6 guy so keep him there. He is also worse at FO's than Mika. He can play 2nd line minutes in a pinch but that's it. Blais as a 4th liner and Vesey as a spare? Have you even watched any games? 6/7 type guy Harpur as 1LD with Fox? Are you serious? Trading Lindgren's top value 3 mil per year contract? Again, are you serious? Robertson as 2nd line LD with Schneider? He's struggling at Hartford with consistency and you want to put him on the 2nd line D with 20yo Schneider and move Kam and Trouba to 3rd pairing. That should do wonders for this team in their own zone. Absolute trash.
The criteria for C should be
1: on FOs, wins in the dot
2. defensively - neutral, as long as Ws preferably are not off handed
3 offense - doesn't matter

Given read is righty, and on defense [vs boards, etc.] should be RW, not LW, that leaves Goodrow who shoots L and Zib who shoots R. So since Good needs to be stapled to bread's ass going into POs making this definite which 3 = the line, then yes, I forgot Panarin shoots right, so he goes RW = Good at LW and Zib at C except as to FOs, where whoever is best should do it. Best can be overall, but should vary if there are difs w/each lines up vs.

Good is not trash

Blais showed more pre slewfoot injury. I prefer he generally get mo mins to see if he rounds anywhere closer to that form, which = upgrade over Vesey.

Harpur IS bigger, stronger, version of Lindgren, who is faster, smarter. Harpur on paper meshes well with Fox, but we need to give youth (Robertson, potentially Broberg) some mins also as situation allows to accelerate their development.
REALITY CHECK
stop avoiding hard choices.
While not as bad as Girardi under Tort's block everything abuse, Lindy is taking a beating w/super hard play all the time. That is great until the body breaks down.
More immediately relevant, we need to move guys to have enuf cap to extend KAM and Chytil, obviously, and need a bit more for others/general needs.
Lindgren should be sold high b'c we need his 3m hit + what pick(s)/+ assets = zero or min elc cap return which is huge toward that.
Admit to reality, until Trouba/Panarin cap can largely be recovered, we are screwed cap wise next 2 seasons.
Love da guy, but Lindgren goes AND STOP BEING FOOLISH BY TRYING TO HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO BY NOT DEALING THIS GUY TIL POST SEASON WHEN THE RETURN IS WAY DOWN. STOP STOP STOP.

Robertson has played w/Schneider. Disagree on narrative he is doing poorly.
I don't expect no growing pains.
I realize faster he gets NHL experience faster we are utilizing him, his elc

It's been reported Trouba has regressed incl as to decisions
So he has to go 3rd pair
KAM prob keep there to bail Troub out

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
The criteria for C should be
1: on FOs, wins in the dot
2. defensively - neutral, as long as Ws preferably are not off handed
3 offense - doesn't matter

Given read is righty, and on defense [vs boards, etc.] should be RW, not LW, that leaves Goodrow who shoots L and Zib who shoots R. So since Good needs to be stapled to bread's ass going into POs making this definite which 3 = the line, then yes, I forgot Panarin shoots right, so he goes RW = Good at LW and Zib at C except as to FOs, where whoever is best should do it. Best can be overall, but should vary if there are difs w/each lines up vs.

Good is not trash

Blais showed more pre slewfoot injury. I prefer he generally get mo mins to see if he rounds anywhere closer to that form, which = upgrade over Vesey.

Harpur IS bigger, stronger, version of Lindgren, who is faster, smarter. Harpur on paper meshes well with Fox, but we need to give youth (Robertson, potentially Broberg) some mins also as situation allows to accelerate their development.
REALITY CHECK
stop avoiding hard choices.
While not as bad as Girardi under Tort's block everything abuse, Lindy is taking a beating w/super hard play all the time. That is great until the body breaks down.
More immediately relevant, we need to move guys to have enuf cap to extend KAM and Chytil, obviously, and need a bit more for others/general needs.
Lindgren should be sold high b'c we need his 3m hit + what pick(s)/+ assets = zero or min elc cap return which is huge toward that.
Admit to reality, until Trouba/Panarin cap can largely be recovered, we are screwed cap wise next 2 seasons.
Love da guy, but Lindgren goes AND STOP BEING FOOLISH BY TRYING TO HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO BY NOT DEALING THIS GUY TIL POST SEASON WHEN THE RETURN IS WAY DOWN. STOP STOP STOP.

Robertson has played w/Schneider. Disagree on narrative he is doing poorly.
I don't expect no growing pains.
I realize faster he gets NHL experience faster we are utilizing him, his elc

It's been reported Trouba has regressed incl as to decisions
So he has to go 3rd pair
KAM prob keep there to bail Troub out
A few truly asinine takes here. Disappointing.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Look in the mirror pal. I have substantiated everything I said. You not so much.
Lindgren is literally the heart and soul of the team. definitely kill him off before we push for an ECF run, save that $1.25M against the cap. Video game logic.

If you want to trade Lindgren, we’re not on the same team.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad