Berglund

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Ok. Decent defense and possession, although not as good as expected. Probably due to his linemates more than to him, as I can't recall any major gaffes. Scored a couple PP goals, but has done nothing 5v5. He has been burdened with crappy 3rd line partners, but does nothing to make them better. Overall he has blended into our non-existent third line quite well except for a few PP points (which is truly amazing given how bad our PP has looked). If you think Berglund has anything more in the tank than being a defensively responsible 3rd liner with great possession, good shot decent net-front ability and terrible playmaking, you are going to be disappointed. He is what he is. 30-40 point guy who won't hurt you defensively.

Nayrb

Oct 10, 2011
Memphis
Here's something that I notice about Berglund fairly often:

When I see a puck rimmed around the boards and I think that it's too hard/bouncy/whatever and someone picks it up it is almost always Berglund.

Now, what does that mean? I don't know. He's great at possession and I still don't understand the fans that think he is "soft" or doesn't "throw his weight around." He uses his body to separate people from the puck all the time. He just isn't reckless like a Backes (I say that as 42 is one of my all-time favorite Blues.)

He does a lot of little things well. I think he has fairly high hockey IQ. I do think that his contract is fairly high but with the rising cap the only issue with it will be how it affects the Blues internal cap.

Reactions: stl76

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think people overestimate Berglund's offensive productive. His performs goes in short stint in cycles, but asking him to produce all the time is like asking to score a goal from Pääjärvi or Blues getting John Tavares.

Never gonna happend.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
IMO the people who dislike Berglund have unrealistic expectations of what he really is. Maybe it's because of his really good rookie year, I'm not sure.

But if you're grounded in reality with Berglund and realize he's a high-end 3rd liner who's strong on the puck and can chip in 15 or so goals then you realize he's actually a good player for his role on the team. I honestly have no issue with Berglund and think he's an asset to the team.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
IMO the people who dislike Berglund have unrealistic expectations of what he really is. Maybe it's because of his really good rookie year, I'm not sure.

But if you're grounded in reality with Berglund and realize he's a high-end 3rd liner who's strong on the puck and can chip in 15 or so goals then you realize he's actually a good player for his role on the team. I honestly have no issue with Berglund and think he's an asset to the team.

No, people who dislike Berglund know exactly what he is, and don't want to give a open-market rate contract for 5 years with a NTC to that type of player. Especially one who doesn't bring anything outside of what you listed. He may pot 15-20 goals but he doesn't PK particularly well (not bad but he's like 5th or 6th on the team), nor does he make other players on his line better. He actually hurts almost everyone he plays with in terms of on-ice production #s and individual production #s. Brodziak, Upshall and Jaskin are all giving solid possession. While they are not on pace for 15 goals, they don't get near as much TOI/g or PP time. All 3 are far above Berglund in P/60 5v5, and all 3 combined make less than Berglund does alone. Even last year where Brodz and Upshall weren't playing as well now, Jaskin was often a healthy scratch and Berglund had his best season in a long time, Berglund had less P/60 than Brodz and Upshall and barely beat Jaskin. Berglund was 4th worst on the team last year beating only Reaves, Jaskin and Lehtera.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad