News Article: Bergevin Offered Panarin more money

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
This makes me happy. Identified talent. Sought out said talent and tried to sign it.

Not signing him is too bad but we did everything we could so the result isn't a result of anything other than being the wrong team.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Panarin did the right thing by joining the hawks. He got to play with the best line in the NHL instead of playing in the AHL with Therrien.

Mad Brills*

I just wonder what the tiebreaker may be between here and chicago......

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Good for the kid we would have wasted him

Panarin did the right thing by joining the hawks. He got to play with the best line in the NHL instead of playing in the AHL with Therrien.

4th line here in MTL.

Gotta a hint for you, Bergevin. The reason Panarin went elsewhere? Have a look in your foxhole for the reason.

Smart move by Panarin

I am no MB fan, but I am more than happy he made that effort, too bad it didn't work out for us. And I must say, I'm surprised by the comments so far...all of them are bashing MT or Bergevin instead of acknowledging MB for making that effort.

Habs fans in a nutshell...get angry when we don't land top 6 talent, get even angrier when we try to land top 6 talent lol

Mad Brills*

@ottawa.

Could be a predictor that money may not be enough to play under therrien.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I just wonder what the tiebreaker may be between here and chicago......

Panarin is very talented and deserves a lot of acclaim for his performance this season.

Bergevin deserves props for taking a shot at getting the guy.

That being said.......while he may be taking less money immediately, clicking with the Chicago core is a good way to up your value quickly. :nod:

Harder to do that on a team like Montreal.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Panarin is very talented and deserves a lot of acclaim for his performance this season.

Bergevin deserves props for taking a shot at getting the guy.

That being said.......while he may be taking less money immediately, clicking with the Chicago core is a good way to up your value quickly. :nod:

Harder to do that on a team like Montreal.

Its hard in Montreal because we dont play a system that favors offensive talent and the use of it which automatically depreciates our players values.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Smart move by Panarin

His agent probably used the Habs to get as best a deal he could get where he really wanted to be. And it's all fine and dandy, that's what agents are supposed to do.

Money ain't everything, even for a Russian player coming to North America expecting a payoff.

Bergevin will have to look at his own backyard and find out where he went wrong. Start with that huge crater he created and the bodies it contains.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Maybe I'm reading a bad translation, but teams were limited by the CBA as to what they could offer Panarin. Because of his age, it had to be a two year ELC with 925K max guaranteed. Teams could offer him schedule A and B performance bonuses. The latter are harder to achieve, so that's where the difference may have lied:

Schedule B bonuses (max $1,725,000): $1,725,000 for any of the following achievements - top 10 forward in the league in goals/assists/points/points per game (min 42GP), top 5 in league in Hart/Selke/Richard voting, NHL First or Second team all star, Conn Smythe

So it really does come down to choosing the best situation. GMs can claim they offered Panarin more money, but in the end the offers on paper were pretty similar.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Rather play with Toews and Kane or Desharnais and Plekanec (and Galchenyuk when all the injuries happened)? The choice was simple.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Great move by Panarin. He took less guaranteed money, but ended up with way more cashing in on bonuses he would've never met in Montreal.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Can't believe young and upcoming talent, don't want to play for a guy like MT...I mean come on, it only takes 4 yrs to get put in a position where da coach trusts you, if and only if DD is hurt...

Hard to believe eh....what was this kids agent thinking...;)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Bergevin endorses MT and an offensive creativity blackhole. What skill player would sign here, Panarin knows his NHL career would be in jeopardy.

Furthermore, he signed an ELC that a ton of NHL teams also offered. It's a joke to suggest 'more money' when bonus' make up most of it. Panarin sees 4th line in MTL vs 1st line in CHI.

Looks like more PR to make it easier to not accomplish nothing for a 5th summer.

Last edited:

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I am no MB fan, but I am more than happy he made that effort, too bad it didn't work out for us. And I must say, I'm surprised by the comments so far...all of them are bashing MT or Bergevin instead of acknowledging MB for making that effort.

Habs fans in a nutshell...get angry when we don't land top 6 talent, get even angrier when we try to land top 6 talent lol

How can you be surprised by that. The hate bunch is out there on a constant basis.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
How can you be surprised by that. The hate bunch is out there on a constant basis.

Pretty much the entire league offered Panarin as much or more than the hawks.

But yes, lets give props and hi fives for MB identifying what every other gm identified. You would give credit to this management if they managed to run the team into the ground and fold

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad