Speculation: Bergeron for......

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
Don't shoot me!! It's just an exercise! - I'm just very curious to see how this will play out!

I know we all love us some Bergy - BUT - Given our current situation and roster, I'm curious if there is a Defenseman that you would be willing to trade the Count for in a 1-for-1 swap...

Here's the parameters:

1) Let's assume Vesey IS on the roster
2) Let's assume all other GM's are ok with the deal (I don't want any "Lombardi would never do that deal!!" - I don't care)
3) ALL TRADES ARE 1-for-1 HOCKEY TRADES - No cap dumps, no salary retainage, no nothing...

So - you would likely go into the season with DK, Backes, and Spooner as your Centermen...

Would you make any of these?

Bergy for Drew Doughty (26yo, 3 yrs / $7.0Mil)

Bergy for Seth Jones (21yo, 6yrs / $5.4Mil)

Bergy for Duncan Keith (33yo, 7yrs / $5.5Mil)

Bergy for Victor Hedman (25yo, 1yr / 4.25Mil, then 8yrs / $7.9mil)

Bergy for PK Subban (27yo, 6yrs / $9.0Mil) (Stop laughing)

Bergy for Erik Karlsson (26yo, 3yrs / $6.5Mil)

Bergy for OEL (25yo, 3yrs / $5.5Mil)

Bergy for (Insert your guy here)

OH - AND NO "LET'S JUST TRADE SPOONER FOR..." or "WE CAN TRADE KRETCH FOR..."
That's not what this is about.

Last edited by a moderator:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Doughty and Karlsson I'd do in a second.

I'd think long and hard about Hedman and Pietrangelo.

OEL and Subban I would consider.

Keith (due to his age) and Jones (just not established enough yet, no guarantees he becomes a legit No.1), are a no.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I'm not opposed to dealing Bergeron, but I'd do it for picks and a prospect or a rebuilding piece. Then I'd package up whatever else I could to add more chips to the rebuild.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
None because of the following:

1.) Principle - unless Bergeron asks for a trade, he deserves to retire as a Bruin. Other players do look at how teams handle their vets and legacy players.

2.) Leadership - this team SHOULD be Bergeron's now. If you take him away, who replaces his presence?

3.) I don't like Krejci. We aren't talking about "if you trade Malkin, you still have Crosby". Krejci is not the caliber player Bergeron is and if you trade Bergeron, that means we take a huge dip at forward and center.

4.) There are other trades that could improve this team without taking away our best player.

Bottom line, I only trade Bergeron if we are ready to blow up the whole roster, and he still only goes AFTER Krejci, Chara, etc.

Pure value: Doughty and Hedman....I'd want defensemen that aren't one dimensional. Although, I'm not overly fond of having a #1 defenseman that is as small as Doughty unless his name is Ray Bourque.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
All of these players except for Jones, have more value than Bergeron so I don't know what's the point of this thread. The Bruins would be fools to decline any of these trades.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
All of these players except for Jones, have more value than Bergeron so I don't know what's the point of this thread. The Bruins would be fools to decline any of these trades.

I couldn't disagree more. It's not a given that most, if not all, of those guys have more value to the Bruins than Bergeron.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Don't shoot me!! It's just an exercise! - I'm just very curious to see how this will play out!

I know we all love us some Bergy - BUT - Given our current situation and roster, I'm curious if there is a Defenseman that you would be willing to trade the Count for in a 1-for-1 swap...

Here's the parameters:

1) Let's assume Vesey IS on the roster
2) Let's assume all other GM's are ok with the deal (I don't want any "Lombardi would never do that deal!!" - I don't care)
3) ALL TRADES ARE 1-for-1 HOCKEY TRADES - No cap dumps, no salary retainage, no nothing...

So - you would likely go into the season with DK, Backes, and Spooner as your Centermen...

OH - AND NO "LET'S JUST TRADE SPOONER FOR..." or "WE CAN TRADE KRETCH FOR..."
That's not what this is about.

I would do that deal for only 2 of them, Doughty and Hedman.

moonshot summit

Jun 30, 2015
Halifax, NS

no

quite possibly

no

yep

no

yes

maybe.

Can't think of anyone else, really. Even if you're getting fair value, it's cancelled out by the fact that you're trading away patrice ****ing bergeron

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine

Bergeron is the one player on the Boston roster that should retire a Bruin.

The point of this thread is that these two posts were made in succession - 2 minutes apart from each other

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I don't know which is worse, a Bergeron trade thread or a Summer Olympics thread. I am not interested in either. See you guys in the fall.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Bergeron should retire a bruin and he will be named the next captain of the team
BRUIN FOREVER !!!!!!!!

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
If we're talking who I would love from that list, that's Doughty.

However, I would not trade Bergeron for anybody. I would be severely disappointed if he doesn't spend his entire career with the Bruins.

Folks remember & honor the likes of people like Milt Schmidt, Bobby Orr, Johnny Bucyk. I hope that, say for example in 20 years from now, to that list of extraordinary athletes and men who took it upon themselves to honor this franchise with their dedication, the name "Patrice Bergeron" will be added. He is already on the right path for that and I hope that management will never do the silly mistake to part ways with Patrice.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
I don't know which is worse, a Bergeron trade thread or a Summer Olympics thread. I am not interested in either. See you guys in the fall.

For what it's worth - I don't know who, or if, I'd trade Bergy for 1-for-1...

I'm CERTAINLY not advocating trading him... Certainly not making trade proposals.

I know he is by far the most beloved Bruin, perhaps the most beloved since our fearless President last laced them up. But as Wally and Wayne Gretzky always say: "Nobody's untradeable"

I'm just trying to get a sense if there was a 1-for-1 that people would be OK with - given our current Defense "situation"

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
I'd consider it for Hedman. Only reason i wouldn't consider Doughty is his age/contract. I feel like a great player at age 29 looking for long term and a raise from 7 mil is just asking for a horrible contract (e.g. having a declining player in their mid-late 30s w/ an enourmous cap hit).

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I would never trade Bergy for anyone. I don't care if there are better players out there. He's our guy and I hope he retires here.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
8 proposals in the original post and a simple No to all of them for me.

He stay, he play, he retire a Bruin.

Let me ask you this: Is there ANYONE you'd trade him for 1:1?

Sid, Carey Price, Connor, a prime Gary Valk?

FWIW - I certainly have no problem if the answer is "no"... You wouldn't get much of an argument from me.

Don Cherry*

I would never trade Bergy for anyone. I don't care if there are better players out there. He's our guy and I hope he retires here.

Wow. I'm a Bruins fan, not a Patrice Bergeron fan. If better players are available you pull the trigger no question. This attitude is amazing. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad