Rumor: Berger: Parayko to the Leafs?

Would Parayko make our D better?

• Total voters

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Parayko makes this team a stanley cup favourite, but I don't feel very comfortable giving up Nylander for him despite the relatively equal value. The strength of this team lies in the fact that for over 75% of the game, you're going to have to be facing Matthews-Nylander-Marleau, followed by Marner-Tavares, and you're still not done getting beat up because Kadri and the two speedy Marlies wingers everyone loves are coming for you too.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
During his entire career as a sports reporter Berger did nothing but mock Leafs fans and act like an ass. He had a job that people would kill for and he decided to act like he was better than the rest of us. I have no issue with someone being a funeral director, a garbage man, a chef or whatever. I think I'm a bit different here however; I went to broadcasting school and have been on the air for years now and would absolutely be the happiest man on earth if I got the opportunity to be a Leafs reporter. It pisses me off seeing a guy like Berger, for many years, trolling the fan base making those "plan the parade" type of comments all the damn time. He bit the hand that fed him every week. I can't believe someone would take that gig for granted. One of the hardest broadcasting jobs to land in this country.

That is all very fair and different from mocking a guy for having another job.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Parayko makes this team a stanley cup favourite, but I don't feel very comfortable giving up Nylander for him despite the relatively equal value. The strength of this team lies in the fact that for over 75% of the game, you're going to have to be facing Matthews-Nylander-Marleau, followed by Marner-Tavares, and you're still not done getting beat up because Kadri and the two speedy Marlies wingers everyone loves are coming for you too.

They just had a Top 10 plays from last year on SN and I'm thinking I'm going to reevaluate Nylanders skill level. Nylander for CP straight up might be a steal for St Lou. Willie is a hellofa talented forward but i wonder where would Willie fit on that team, their RW are Tarasenko, Steen, can WIllie play off wing and play LW?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
During his entire career as a sports reporter Berger did nothing but mock Leafs fans and act like an ass. He had a job that people would kill for and he decided to act like he was better than the rest of us. I have no issue with someone being a funeral director, a garbage man, a chef or whatever. I think I'm a bit different here however; I went to broadcasting school and have been on the air for years now and would absolutely be the happiest man on earth if I got the opportunity to be a Leafs reporter. It pisses me off seeing a guy like Berger, for many years, trolling the fan base making those "plan the parade" type of comments all the damn time. He bit the hand that fed him every week. I can't believe someone would take that gig for granted. One of the hardest broadcasting jobs to land in this country.
Mike Wilner reminds me of Berger. Belittles the fans, thinks he's smarter than every host that has him on, he's the guy who KNOWS baseball. Berger's arrogance was his undoing, and now he's a has been because of it.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Mike Wilner reminds me of Berger. Belittles the fans, thinks he's smarter than every host that has him on, he's the guy who KNOWS baseball. Berger's arrogance was his undoing, and now he's a has been because of it.
Wilner has always been like that goinf way back. It's funny that Wilner never got in trouble for acting like an arrogant ass every time he was on the air but the moment he called Rogers/Jays cheap, they put a muzzle on him. I don't respect certain opinions like Kypreos or Millard but at least they aren't out there calling us morons. I'll go back to the hand that feeds comment. You need to be really careful in sports broadcasting when talking about local fanbases. You do it enough, people change the station. Ratings drop and that's all that matters to the owners. I rememeber Bergers last few years on-air, every time he came on the air I would change the station. I couldn't have been the only one doing that.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Wilner is nauseating. must be right in his element with the current Jays regime since he loves defending mediocre to bad baseball teams.

and yeah, Berger's smarmy condescension to Leaf fans cost him his career, such as it was.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
For Parayko?
Not seeing much incentive for St Louis to do that.
At a minimum, Nylander would have to be included.
The only way I could see St. Louis considering trading Parayko is because they got Erik Karlsson.
And as you say, it would still most likely involve Nylander.

Reactions: ACC1224

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Securing him with non-core assets would be a steal
I'd do Nylander and a small add in a heartbeat - no motivation for STL to take that, though.

In 2-3 years, the pairings below would be fantastic should the progression on the 2nd pairing continue.

Rielly Parayko
Dermott Liljegren

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I'd do Nylander and a small add in a heartbeat - no motivation for STL to take that, though.

In 2-3 years, the pairings below would be fantastic should the progression on the 2nd pairing continue.

Rielly Parayko
Dermott Liljegren

Keep in mind the expansion draft. We have to expose one of dermott / liljigren after trading Nylander to acquire Parayko.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Keep in mind the expansion draft. We have to expose one of dermott / liljigren after trading Nylander to acquire Parayko.
The rules could change, but yes, we might have to put someone valuable up. Or we do some maneuvering like teams like Minnesota did to keep everyone.

Reactions: BM14

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
The rules could change, but yes, we might have to put someone valuable up. Or we do some maneuvering like teams like Minnesota did to keep everyone.

It's certainly going to hurt us, which is the cost of being a good team.

I really wanted to highlight the predicament we are in. We obviously have a significant need of a top pairing RHD. However, such a player would cost something significant like Nylander, and to add salt to the wound, we would have to lose one of our top young defenders instead of brown/kapanen. It would be a step forward and a big step backwards.

Although teams like Minnesota were able to keep their guys, teams like Florida, Colombus, and Pittsburgh had this strategy blow up in their faces. It's best not to negotiate with terrorists.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
i don't have any idea where that comes from, before social media Berger was pretty well respected, columnist for the Sun paper, regular gig on the radio

lets just say the naivety of the Leafs fan base when social media came about was pretty friggin hard to take, for a lot of those guys, how many times has Bobo mocked Leafs Fans and the team, how many times has Dreger, Wyshenski, Ferraro and it goes on and on. Bobo even came on here and called the LeaFlanders asshats

problem was all the 12-16 year olds 20 years ago talking out their arses about how they know better then a professional coach or GM, how the media "hates" the Leafs, how every free agent should sign here, how somebody like Matt Frattin was going to be a 40 goal scorer or Peter Ing was going to be the next Grant Fuhr and all sorts of misconceptions some that stopped just inches short of imbecility and of course the many that went clearly over that line.

Howard no doubt flamed hard at the end of his career, when in an act of outright LeaFlandish proportions, tried to tell RW how to coach after a Saturday night loss in Montreal, he let the fan inside him come out instead of being the objective reporter he was supposed to be

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
i don't have any idea where that comes from, before social media Berger was pretty well respected, columnist for the Sun paper, regular gig on the radio

lets just say the naivety of the Leafs fan base when social media came about was pretty friggin hard to take, for a lot of those guys, how many times has Bobo mocked Leafs Fans and the team, how many times has Dreger, Wyshenski, Ferraro and it goes on and on. Bobo even came on here and called the LeaFlanders asshats

problem was all the 12-16 year olds 20 years ago talking out their arses about how they know better then a professional coach or GM, how the media "hates" the Leafs, how every free agent should sign here, how somebody like Matt Frattin was going to be a 40 goal scorer or Peter Ing was going to be the next Grant Fuhr and all sorts of misconceptions some that stopped just inches short of imbecility and of course the many that went clearly over that line.

Howard no doubt flamed hard at the end of his career, when in an act of outright LeaFlandish proportions, tried to tell RW how to coach after a Saturday night loss in Montreal, he let the fan inside him come out instead of being the objective reporter he was supposed to be

To be fair, I’d take an average 16 year old fan over any Leafs GM from the JFJ-Nonis years

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

And if expansion doesn't happen for the next 5 years if at all, do we still make protection concerns the factor behind trades that would significantly improve the Leafs now?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
And if expansion doesn't happen for the next 5 years if at all, do we still make protection concerns the factor behind trades that would significantly improve the Leafs now?

I thought the Seattle expansion draft was a pretend solid proposition for 20-21?

So when you're looking at future trades do you want to protect a player with 2 years left before becoming a UFA or 6 years?

If you extend Nylander in Toronto you'd be protecting a long term asset not a short term asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad