Confirmed with Link: Berdin extended 2 years, 750K

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Took a quick look into why the Jets would want to sign Berdin a year early. To me it looks like expansion draft protection. If they lost Comrie to waivers Berdin would meet the condition as a RFA, except if he decided to sign in the KHL after he became a RFA following this season.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Took a quick look into why the Jets would want to sign Berdin a year early. To me it looks like expansion draft protection. If they lost Comrie to waivers Berdin would meet the condition as a RFA, except if he decided to sign in the KHL after he became a RFA following this season.

Yup this move was made so that we would have an expansion draft goalie to expose.

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Good signing

BlankImpoliteBass-max-14mb.gif

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Nice!

So if I have it right, Comrie will be the exposed goalie to Seattle (as an RFA) while Bherdin will not be eligible (unless the Jets lose their minds and play him a bunch this season). That then sets Bherdin to be the backup in 21-22.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Nice!

So if I have it right, Comrie will be the exposed goalie to Seattle (as an RFA) while Bherdin will not be eligible (unless the Jets lose their minds and play him a bunch this season). That then sets Bherdin to be the backup in 21-22.
i think that's basically it.
but the odds of Comrie being chosen in the expansion draft are next to zero.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Nice!

If both Comrie and Berdin are still with the Jets Seattle could pick either one. The Jets can only protect 1 goalie and that will be Helly.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
If both Comrie and Berdin are still with the Jets Seattle could pick either one. The Jets can only protect 1 goalie and that will be Helly.

There is a minimum # of NHL games played for both forwards and defence in order to be expansion-draft eligible, but double checked and no such restriction for goalies. Only thing is "1st and 2nd year pro players are exempt" so yes Berdin would be available to be drafted since AHL is included in pro seasons.

Of course as I think about it as excited as we all are at Berdin's potential, I suspect Seattle will have a huge number of more established goalies to choose from so very unlikely he's taken.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There is a minimum # of NHL games played for both forwards and defence in order to be expansion-draft eligible, but double checked and no such restriction for goalies. Only thing is "1st and 2nd year pro players are exempt" so yes Berdin would be available to be drafted since AHL is included in pro seasons.

Of course as I think about it as excited as we all are at Berdin's potential, I suspect Seattle will have a huge number of more established goalies to choose from so very unlikely he's taken.
Agreed there is little chance Seattle selects Berdin, but at the same time Chevy is smart in laying the ground work so we are ensured having a goalie to expose.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I believe Brossoit could still be a starter, but think if a team loses a goalie to expansion they'll give Brossoit a chance elsewhere. Been pretty solid for us so far.

Berdin I think could be a starter too but with the Moose he gets more ice-time.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I'd be thrilled if Berdin was the piece we lost to Seattle. He's a decent young goalie but hasn't really done anything to show he's a much better prospect then Comrie was at the same point. I actually think Holm has surpassed him in terms of upside.
they're goalies. they're a Shiny New Trinket until they actually do something in the NHL.
Comrie was the real deal until he wasn't.
then Berdin was until he stunk in the KHL.
now Holm, who is playing in a meh league, is the real deal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
they're goalies. they're a Shiny New Trinket until they actually do something in the NHL.
Comrie was the real deal until he wasn't.
then Berdin was until he stunk in the KHL.
now Holm, who is playing in a meh league, is the real deal.

Well I was never super sold on him. Mediocre ECHL, AHL and KHL stats as a pro. Holm has shown good growth and has posted real good numbers in a good men's league.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Well I was never super sold on him. Mediocre ECHL, AHL and KHL stats as a pro. Holm has shown good growth and has posted real good numbers in a good men's league.
Comrie was a good CHL goalie who never took it to the next level. He looks small in net and has always relied too much on his reflexes.

Berdin has may rely too much on his athleticism as well, but flashed more as a pro and I still think he's got a chance to play at the NHL level. I'm not sure if he'll put in the work though.

Goalies are always a bit of a crap shoot - especially when a whole season's numbers can be tanked (or lifted) based on a few games. Regardless of results, a full season of games played is still a small sample.

AHL stats FWIW:
Hellebuyck posted a .921 in 88 games.
Berdin posted an .916 in 65 games.
Comrie posted a .911 in 203 games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Comrie was a good CHL goalie who never took it to the next level. He looks small in net and has always relied too much on his reflexes.

Berdin has may rely too much on his athleticism as well, but flashed more as a pro and I still think he's got a chance to play at the NHL level. I'm not sure if he'll put in the work though.

Goalies are always a bit of a crap shoot - especially when a whole season's numbers can be tanked (or lifted) based on a few games. Regardless of results, a full season of games played is still a small sample.

AHL stats FWIW:
Hellebuyck posted a .921 in 88 games.
Berdin posted an .916 in 65 games.
Comrie posted a .911 in 203 games.

Comrie is just too small for NHL shooters, they can pick him apart. He's fine when the puck is along the ice but he gets shredded up high. He's a quality AHL starting goalie now but barring him fixing something that allows him to not give up the top of the net he isn't NHL caliber. Its too bad as he is a great person with a terrific work ethic.

Berdin i am not sure on. He had a crazy hot stretch in the AHL as a rookie bit came crashing back down to earth whe he was asked to be the Moose's starter the year after. I like his flair but dislike his technique. He has the size and athleticism though if it comes together.

Holm seems to have good size and technique but yeah goalies are tough to peg.

Point was we can afford to lose a Berdin in the draft.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Comrie is just too small for NHL shooters, they can pick him apart. He's fine when the puck is along the ice but he gets shredded up high. He's a quality AHL starting goalie now but barring him fixing something that allows him to not give up the top of the net he isn't NHL caliber. Its too bad as he is a great person with a terrific work ethic.

Berdin i am not sure on. He had a crazy hot stretch in the AHL as a rookie bit came crashing back down to earth whe he was asked to be the Moose's starter the year after. I like his flair but dislike his technique. He has the size and athleticism though if it comes together.

Holm seems to have good size and technique but yeah goalies are tough to peg.

Point was we can afford to lose a Berdin in the draft.
For sure. I can't imagine he's even remotely on their radar though.

The Jets are going to have to expose a quality forward.

I'm just glad that Berdin remains in the pipeline. Holm looks like he has potential too, but you can't keep all your goalie eggs in one basket.

Reactions: surixon

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
So......... Berdin has to finish up his 3 year ELC this year making 70 k......... then is guaranteed 250k in his first year of this contract 2021-22 and then guaranteed $750k in his 2nd year of this contract 2022-23.

Money wise the Jets are investing just over 1 million ...... on average 350k per year over the next 3 years that Berdin becomes something. He has proven he can start in the AHL. But I heard rumours Russian media he is not satisfied in the AHL only role.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Based on stats, I think Holm might be the Jets' best goalie prospect. He's #3 in save percentage in the Swedish Elite League at 22 years of age. He's over 6'4", so he's got the size that seems to be important in the NHL these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad