Berard dealt after dramatic 8-7 Win over Bruins.

Richard Jackman sat out and watched his new team win in dramatic fashion over Eastern conference rivals the Boston Bruins.

Nikolai Khbibulin was chased after allowing 5 goals on only 9 shots (he allowed 2 goals in the second period despite only seeing 2 shots in the first 8:36 of the period before getting dragged) and Ryan Miller got hurt, and then had to watch the floodgates open with the normally solid Sabourin in goal.

Petr Nedved and Brendan morrison were impressive for the Bruins, but it was the Sabres trio of Jagr (2-4-6) Jokinen (3-2-5) and Gonchar (1-4-5) that dominated the game. The Sabres top line all registered +5 ratings on the night after obliterating the Bruins for the full 60 minutes. Sabourins collapse saw Boston drag back the Sabres after leads of 5-1 (when miller left the game) and 6-2 to tie it at 7-7 but a Frolov Goal on the only Bruins penalty after the 1st period (a foolish misconduct by Barnaby) with under 5 minutes to go turned out to be the game winner.

Unfortunately, to add injury to insult, Sergei Samsonov suffered a major orbital bone injury after being laid out into the boards by Brooks Orpik. Despite protests from the bruins bench, the hit was considered clean by officials. regardless of the non-call or call, expect Samsonov to miss at least a month, hurting their chances at snatching home ice advantage in the first round.

Immediately after the game, it was announced that defenseman Bryan Berard would be dealt to the Ottawa Senators in exchange for younster Lukas Krajicek and a 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft. Berard was said to be shocked and horrified at being traded away from the team that he helped to a Stanle cup last year.

"It's disappointing for Bryan." team-mate Scott Hannan said. "He's been struggling with injuries of late and not really playing at a level he had hoped er expected from himself. I guess adding Sergei and the emergence of Jay has taken away from his minutes a little this year, and he's not been as effective since being pushed down the pecking order somewhat. It will hurt our PP, but hopefully Rick (Jackman) will come in and get the job done there."

Expect Berard to get all the minutes he can handle in Ottawa, where the Senators routinely run Ohlund to the point of exhaustion in an effort to keep things in order in front of goalie Roberto Luongo. With the Senators pushing hard for a playoff spot and struggling to score (the have all season), this move could put them right into the mix, and give them a genuine chance of chasing Tampa Bay for that #6 seen.

Krajicek is expected to be the 7th D-man this season for the Sabres while Jackman takes Berard's spot, and will likely be counted on to contribute along with Rookies Suter and Hainsey next season on the Sabres blueline.

Thats all...for now.

Buffalo Bill
Hockey Editor for The Buffalo News

HFNHL Red Wings

Wow. Can't see how that deal makes any kind of sense for Ottawa, but there you go.

I thought the same Douglas but Josh has a habbit of time and again somehow convincing his Aussie buddies that bad deals are good ones :amazed:

Me thinks they might not be his buddies much longer if he keeps selling them snake oil.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It's HFNHL math, that doesn't necessarily make sense in the real world.

79OV = 70OV + 2nd Round pick

Suffice it to say, some of us would suggest this math is a little simple and ignores important variables, but given those variables are based on "potential", they may or may not materialize.

LOL...why does everyone point the finger at me? :innocent:

Coming from Drew, that's like the pot calling the kettle black :razz:

Cohen actually came to me! I didn't want to deal Berard given he has better offensive ratings than Gonchar this season and I'm going for a cup, but even i have my price!

Hey...even i'm not sure he's going in the right direction...and told him that! Used to have the opposite argument with Dion every time he'd deal a 23 year old NHL'er for picks :fight: Actually...We all did in those situations, but its hard to argue with the guy now.

Think Hasnain feels differently given while he still waits nervously for Stoll's return? Anyone remember me dealing Svatos and Wellwood in a package for Deadmarsh in the same situation :eek: That worked out well :cry:

enough with the inquisition! This interview is over! :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad