Rumor: Benning has green light to make a trade and is working the phones. Trying to fix "chemistry"

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Hour 1: Frank Seravalli reacts to Canucks' poor start (sportsnet.ca)

" do not think that a trade is not on the table, I was shocked to hear that today, does that mean Benning is safe?"
-Shah on the Peoples Show on Sportsnet 650

According to Sat Shah of Sportsnet 650, Benning has been working the phone a tonne and has a green light to make any trades. Shah also indicated that Benning has targeted that there might be a "cancer" in the locker room that is effecting the team chemistry. Benning is trying to save his job and thinks that the chemistry/cancer is the problem with the team and is vigorously trying to move the player.

In all honesty if there was a "cancer in the locker room " id say the most viable candidate is JT Miller. The young guys might not be reacting well to his "passionate" demeanor.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Lmao, this reeks of Chiarelli signing Koskinen and then being fired the next day. Also, coming out and saying "I need to trade this guy because he's a cancer" doesn't seem like a good way to preserve any value...

As much as the contract sucked, nucks fans would probably welcome a Koskinen contract if it guaranteed Benning was canned tomorrow :laugh:.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
It would be a very Jim Benning move to trade the only player on the team who looks like he gives a damn while he’s on an 8 game point streak.

But oh no he’s mean to the young guys!

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Hour 1: Frank Seravalli reacts to Canucks' poor start (sportsnet.ca)

" do not think that a trade is not on the table, I was shocked to hear that today, does that mean Benning is safe?"
-Shah on the Peoples Show on Sportsnet 650

According to Sat Shah of Sportsnet 650, Benning has been working the phone a tonne and has a green light to make any trades. Shah also indicated that Benning has targeted that there might be a "cancer" in the locker room that is effecting the team chemistry. Benning is trying to save his job and thinks that the chemistry/cancer is the problem with the team and is vigorously trying to move the player.

In all honesty if there was a "cancer in the locker room " id say the most viable candidate is JT Miller. The young guys might not be reacting well to his "passionate" demeanor.
Idk man, I don’t think you can say player x is the cancer unless there is more evidence for this. Just seems like pure speculation that he would be the issue. Unless Canucks fans know something that would prove that statement true?

Ah regardless, management is simply trying to put the blame on the players (which some is, for sure) but let’s not lose sight of who’s vision this team is a result of. I’m not a Canucks fan, but you have to address the problem at the source. And it looks like that won’t happen.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Benning in a panic wowza gonna be frightening if true. I can see other GM's licking their chops right now !!

To be fair and unbiased, if looking at it from a neutral pov, Benning is bad at alot of things but he is actually decent at trading. Hes had his misses like all GMs but he has done well on msot trades as well.

Free agent signings, he has to be the worst in the league.

Drafting and Trades, id say better than average.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The Canucks roster (forward group at least) is good enough on paper that the right coach could take them into the playoffs??

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
jim-benning.jpg

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mean I get not canning the GM mid-season because the guy inheriting the job can't fix it before the offseason anyway. But making a change now could certainly prevent Benning f***ing up the team any further lol...

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I think the Devils should be interested in Boeser if Vancouver decides to move on from him.
If the Devils feel they can't sign him after next year I could see Severson being of some interest to Van, although I don't know if the Devils have the depth at RD to trade one without getting one back

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think it’s going to be JT Miller. His issues stem back to NYR. Has always been a hot head. Rounded into a much better player in Vancouver but he was already traded once for being a locker room issue. He gets into arguments with players and coaches pretty often

At the same time though, EP40 doesn’t seem happy with Nucks. Trade him to NYR

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
-Benning announces he is trying to make a trade
-Benning has identified a lockeroom cancer who he wants to trade

Hmmmm I wonder if other GMs are capable of thinking and calculating when Benning offers lockeroom cancer player......

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
realistically, what's the best case scenario return on miller? replenishing the first round picks he burned on a month of toffoli and OEL?

a replacement for nate schmidt?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
To be fair and unbiased, if looking at it from a neutral pov, Benning is bad at alot of things but he is actually decent at trading. Hes had his misses like all GMs but he has done well on msot trades as well.

Free agent signings, he has to be the worst in the league.

Drafting and Trades, id say better than average.
I have no confidence in him sorry. Besides Miller deal he's done squat. He botched the Kesler trade but that was awhile ago. He generally trades 2nd tier guys for 2nd tier guys and adds picks for no reason going by his history. He's done better last year or two in trading but he set bar so low that he could only get better. He sucks plain and simple for me at least.

PS his drafting is nothing special he has a few hits and a few misses in the top ten which really hurt. 8 years and he hasn't drafted a Dman besides Hughes who were using in our top 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayBeautiful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad