Benefits to taking it easy?

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
We are 20 points up on florida, and with a few more solid Ws basically are locked into the playoffs. Do the leafs kill themselves trying to get to 2nd seed?

Or is there a benefit to taking it easy for the next 10 or so games maybe just experiment with some different things then before playoffs ramp it up again?

You gotta be in a good form come playoff time but does it make more sense to rest our main guys a bit this next month?

Not as in low effort but more focus on playing smart defensive hockey and offensive creativity, save the physical grinder hockey for when we need to win the most. Many presidents trophy teams fail at this

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think home ice advantage would be pretty huge to get for us, we have one of the better records at home in the East. Taking that away from Tampa or Boston would be really good plus Pitts and Washington haven't been the best when they're the visiting team.

Reactions: 7even

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Momentum and confidence is more important than taking it easy. Babcock will be focused on ensuring no bad habits pop up, and that they are playing right, every game.

Bergeron is out for at least two weeks, with a fractured foot.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Clinch playoffs then get some rest for Freddy. I don't think Forwards or D have been taxed too heavily with minutes played this year which is a good thing. Maybe Marleau/Hainsey/Plek give them a couple of games off once we clinch wouldn't be a bad idea.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
they should give Andersen more breaks this month to get him some rest other then that no they shouldn't take your foot off the gas, when you do that sometimes it's hard to pick it back up.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Momentum and confidence is more important than taking it easy. Babcock will be focused on ensuring no bad habits pop up, and that they are playing right, every game.

Bergeron is out for at least two weeks, with a fractured foot.

Not to mention, timing of Bergeron being out is also a factor given Boston's toughest part of their schedule is upcoming with several games in a short time period without their best player for 2 weeks, I would think their going to lose some games.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Rest is overrated. Keep the foot on the gas and go in to playoffs peaking!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think we want home ice.

If we're going to build on last year and break out of the first round that would be a big help. Being realistic though we need one of Boston or Tampa to falter. The Bruins have looked mortal of late and I think they had a crappy deadline and one might argue they got worse. They seem to need Bergeron more than we need Matthews which is a plus.

I do see some wisdom in giving McBackup an extra couple of games to give Freddy some rest. May not hurt to give a Marlie or two a look as well so we have a better sense of who is ready to be a call up if we have injuries, and we will if we have a deep run.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Get some people rest.

1.) hainsey. He is looking tired. I would sit him in buffalo. Give him a week off

2.) marleau. The old man doesn’t miss games. But sit him a couple of shifts when we are winning.

3.) anyone who has some injuries. We have tons of depth. Cycle a few through.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's time to move up players like Kapanen, Leivo and maybe even putting in Martin here and there if a player or two have bumps and bruises. No point in making it worst. They should be 100% healthy down the stretch.

With that said, players want to play. And they should play to stay sharp and as game ready as possible. The second you start relaxing and not giving it your all is when you're doom, especially going into the playoffs.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think it will be full steam ahead until our playoff seed is locked in. For various reasons (ex. potential benefits of home ice) we'll want to finish in as high of a playoff spot as possible. If/when it gets to the point where we cannot rise or fall in the standings, we'll consider resting Andersen and looking at any Marlies we think are NHL ready moving forward.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Home ice is important.
If you saw the bill for playoff tickets(came in today) you'll understand that they will do whatever it takes to have as many home games as possible.

member 147413

You play to win the game. Home ice is important for fans, players, management and ownership.

Edit: As another poster mentioned, I’d have Hainsey rest a game here and there, I also agree with Marleau seeing less ice, he’ll be important come playoff time.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Bergeron's injury is pretty crippling for the Bruins, especially given how much hockey they'll be playing in the next couple weeks. We definitely have a chance to take home ice.

Also - I think a lot of people are dismissing how much rest our team will get down the stretch just by virtue of our light schedule. After tonight, we play 3 games in 14 days. That gives guys a great chance to rest and recover as we prepare for the playoffs

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I'd rather get home ice advantage against Boston as it could easily be a 7 game series. Steady on the rutter ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad