Prospect Info: Ben Harpur

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I'm not convinced Harpur would pass through waivers TBH. Big, mobile, tough defencmen are attractive.

Harpur is 3 years younger than Gravel, they've played the same amount of games, but Hurpur averages > 2:00TOI/GP. There is more upside with Harpur.

I'd prefer Borgman to both of them if I'm going to groom a depth prospect.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I'm curious, why?

Thought he played well, if not maybe a step behind in his first run with the Leafs. I think it's time to give him another shot. I think as a depth player, he offers a unique set of offensive and physical tools.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
You guys are probably remembering Borgman as the guy who started the year with the leafs in 2017 but hes really not very good. In the AHL Holl was much better than him. Borgman turns the puck over a lot.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
You guys are probably remembering Borgman as the guy who started the year with the leafs in 2017 but hes really not very good. In the AHL Holl was much better than him. Borgman turns the puck over a lot.
Yea he really hasn't gotten better since then, maybe even a little worse. Kivihalme is honestly the most exciting LD option for me and he hasn't played in N/A yet.

Give Sandin a year and take advantage of the ELC slide but Gravel/Harpur/Marincin/Borgman are all blah.

Reactions: teddygmr

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Yea he really hasn't gotten better since then, maybe even a little worse. Kivihalme is honestly the most exciting LD option for me and he hasn't played in N/A yet.

Give Sandin a year and take advantage of the ELC slide but Gravel/Harpur/Marincin/Borgman are all blah.
The upside to Harpur is that maybe he can help with the PK. But we will have to wait and see how these guys do in training camp.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He's had the same issues all along, but people overlooked it early because he threw a few hits.

Poor guy hasn't learned to think on NA ice. Gets tunnel vision with the puck and confused easily.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's going to be interesting to see if he's even given a chance to play next season. He's not the type of defenseman the Leafs have been attempting to develop over the past few seasons.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think Babs is going to really like this guy and play him too much (Mainly because he's big and he PK's) I think Holl should get another look this season for a longer period of time

Reactions: coronet66

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

good jets for a big guy.

Being groomed as shutdown blue liner, Harpur also shows signs of offence

"So right now, the last two years he’s developed more toughness in the American League, to the point that he was by far the best player down there (in Belleville). You could see he didn’t belong there anymore. Now it’s a question of getting the NHL pace, the quickness of the NHL, being able to use his body on a more consistent basis. But for sure, in terms of what he does with the puck, he’s a NHLer. We’ve known that all along.”

Reactions: MyBudJT

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

good jets for a big guy.

Being groomed as shutdown blue liner, Harpur also shows signs of offence

"So right now, the last two years he’s developed more toughness in the American League, to the point that he was by far the best player down there (in Belleville). You could see he didn’t belong there anymore. Now it’s a question of getting the NHL pace, the quickness of the NHL, being able to use his body on a more consistent basis. But for sure, in terms of what he does with the puck, he’s a NHLer. We’ve known that all along.”

I think Dubas’ comments after the trade was very telling that they have visions of him actually being on our roster. He brings an interesting package. I think him and Borgman will be fighting it out for a roster spot.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs had lots of iffy NHLers competing for the the bottom end positions. But let's not call them depth guys. Who ever makes the Leafs will be expected to be NHL good for those 12 minutes or so they play every game.
Leafs sure looking on defence...no Gardiner, Hainsey and Zaitsev replaced by Ceci and Harper and who else plus Dermot's LTIR replacement. Yikes.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Leafs had lots of iffy NHLers competing for the the bottom end positions. But let's not call them depth guys. Who ever makes the Leafs will be expected to be NHL good for those 12 minutes or so they play every game.
Leafs sure looking on defence...no Gardiner, Hainsey and Zaitsev replaced by Ceci and Harper and who else plus Dermot's LTIR replacement. Yikes.
My thought is that the Leafs are waiting for Marner to sign and will sign one of Girardi or Lovejoy to a one year deal. This would give us a vet that we lost in Hainsey who can play up and down the lineup and eat PK minutes well. That would leave Harpur as our 7th guy, which is an upgrade to our depth from last season.

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Lovejoy/Girardi
Harpur

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
My thought is that the Leafs are waiting for Marner to sign and will sign one of Girardi or Lovejoy to a one year deal. This would give us a vet that we lost in Hainsey who can play up and down the lineup and eat PK minutes well. That would leave Harpur as our 7th guy, which is an upgrade to our depth from last season.

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Lovejoy/Girardi
Harpur
I'm pretty sure Babcock is going to play his top 4 a lot more than he would like this season and there will be no more D signings, imo

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Lovejoy/Girardi
Harpur

Or they roll with what they have for half the year and bring up Liljergren at the deadline.

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Liljergren

Scratches: Whoever player earlier in the year

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Or they roll with what they have for half the year and bring up Liljergren at the deadline.

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Liljergren

Scratches: Whoever player earlier in the year

I don't think Lily is ready for the NHL. He's 20 and has struggled with injuries over the past 3 years. Give him at least another AHL season. There's no need to rush him.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I don't think Lily is ready for the NHL. He's 20 and has struggled with injuries over the past 3 years. Give him at least another AHL season. There's no need to rush him.

I really think that’s the plan. They have no room to squeeze any other guys in who aren’t making less than 1 million. We can easily be outbid for Girardi+Lovejoy by various other teams. Dubas has also stated previously that he believes Liljergren is close.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He is tough and rugged and going to be a good 3rd pairing guy in near future

Harpur fighting Mayfield

Harpur Vs Brown

There we go again, this time against Rasmussen

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Lol at the poster who suggested he's soft. He literally led the league in fighting majors this past season. Can skate and mean. Seems like a potentially useful bottom guy you rotate in and out

Reactions: TopCheese

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad