Player Discussion: Ben Chiarot

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
When Chiarot gets more love then Enstrom. :laugh:

I think after the shot on Perry, Benny will forever be in the hearts of Jets fans. For a Thrasher fan, you got to see Toby in his prime. He was past his prime by last year's playoff run, the first run in franchise history out of the 1st round.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think after the shot on Perry, Benny will forever be in the hearts of Jets fans. For a Thrasher fan, you got to see Toby in his prime. He was past his prime by last year's playoff run, the first run in franchise history out of the 1st round.

And yet was still miles better then Chiarot. Oh but I forgot, Chiarot can hit people.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
More evidence that there is more to hockey than stats - thanks garret you always save the day!

Seriously, though, Chiarot has taken a big leap this year in terms of doing the simple things, better, and even *modestly* expanding his skillset to include some offense here and there.

I haven't really liked him the past couple of games, but overall this year I think he's doing pretty well for what he is.

The thing that bothers me about the Jets defense is that they aren't really interchangeable.

Chia seems to struggle without Buff for any length of time, and Myers needs Kulikov.

I don't disagree.

Of course there is more to hockey than stats. I never said that... although, those things still should effect the stats, otherwise why would you care.

Example: Good leadership creates cohesiveness, which allows players to play at there best more often. So it itself is not measurable, but it exists still within the measurable.

That said, the specific discussion was about performance, performance in a game where the sole and only objective is in stats: outscoring the individual. You may care more about what happened (descriptive, or goals and expected goals) or what will most likely happen in the future unless something changes (predictive, or Corsi).

I agree about the limitations in some of the Jets players. Chiarot can't seem to play without Buff. Myers can't seem to play without Kulikov. Tanev can't seem to play without Lowry and one of Perreault or Copp. That makes things a little bit scary for injuries and lack of flexibility.

Thank you for the explanation. There are some points I agree with, in that the eyes don't always see the whole value of defense. Good positioning can negate offense before it even starts.

I still think Chiarot offers the physical element that Enstrom did not, which seems to complement Buff more. I was curious of the actual results between the two Chiarot and Enstrom, with Buff. My eyes indicate to me that Toby gave up more grade A scoring chances, from things like boxing out, to 2 on 1s, in playing with a rover like Buff. But his passing created more offense.

I see Benny's weaknesses too. He is not a strong passer, or stick handler. He will rarely do more than jam the boards on an offensive zone pinch.

I don't disagree that he is better suited as a #7, moving Morrow farther down the depth chart.

I am wondering if his PK efficiency is a reason why he stays in the lineup. Not saying he should, in a playoff run, but Benny does some things well, the physical separation of players certainly helps with possession, if the positioning is right by other players.

I agree and disagree.

I agree that Chiarot adds a physical element and that he is better at doing some things than Enstrom was unable or unwilling to do.

I disagree that Enstrom allowed more high quality chances and his passing was more for offense.

I agree that Chiarot has been capable on the penalty kill.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I think it's more that he's not 3rd pairing good.

31 teams, 2 defenders per pair per team, 62 first pair, 124 top 4...
Therefore, ranking between 125-186 makes "third pair capable" and 155 is "average" for third pair.

At even strength, Ben Chiarot ranks:
Expected Goals +/- per hour (adjusted for usage): 205
Corsi +/- per hour (adjusted for usage): 225
GAR: 210

So basically Chiarot would be in the bottom half of fourth pair d-men, if there were such a thing. Of course, if teams had fourth pairs in games, there'd be more defencemen in the league to push Chiarot down to fifth pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad