Player Discussion Ben Chiarot: Ram Tough (Part 2)

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
They aren't going to protect chariot who only has 1 year left on his contract, and they arent going to leave drouin, evans, and lehkonen unprotected.

They could definitely leave Drouin unprotected. Would Seattle take a chance not knowing what's going on with him? If I'm Biceps, I'm seriously considering it, and this is coming from someone who liked Drouin.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
They could definitely leave Drouin unprotected. Would Seattle take a chance not knowing what's going on with him? If I'm Biceps, I'm seriously considering it, and this is coming from someone who liked Drouin.
Unless there's some career-threatening story behind Drouin's absence, I don't see why an expansion team wouldn't take a chance to add him for free. He's still in his mid-20's, had some respectable playoff performances and would be away from the pressure of Montreal. What's the downside for Seattle? How many potential point producers are going to be available?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Unless there's some career-threatening story behind Drouin's absence, I don't see why an expansion team wouldn't take a chance to add him for free. He's still in his mid-20's, had some respectable playoff performances and would be away from the pressure of Montreal. What's the downside for Seattle? How many potential point producers are going to be available?

Ler me ask you this, would you rather:
a) Drouin's 5 5M against our cap for what he brings.
b) 5.5M in cap space, from Drpuin disappearing off of our cap, say for example by being claimed by Seattle.

If the answer is b), then every team in the league would rather b). There are a ton of bad contracts in the league that team's will be willing to give Seattle 1sts and 2nds in exchange for taking on their cap dumps. Seattle does not have cap space to give away. Look how well Vegas did with the 1sts and other picks they stock piled: they traded them for Mark Stone and Max Pacioretty, two of their biggest pieces. Then Paul Statsny signed with them because he wanted to play with Pacioretty.

And now with the flat cap, they had to trade away players to make it under the cap. Seattle will be a cap team. They have to use their cap space wisely.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I would wait until after the draft so you don't have to protect whatever player they get for him. Plus teams that lost wingers to Seattle might become interested.
Valid point, i was looking if he traded for futures we dont have to protect. But now i actually think your point more valid.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He's also looked terrible at various points in the playoffs and since he's been here. That's what 'inconsistent' means.

I think you can apply that to most big Dmen in this years crunched schedule. No rest, blocking shots, physical play. Even the AVS /Vegas D looked awful on occasion.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think you can apply that to most big Dmen in this years crunched schedule. No rest, blocking shots, physical play. Even the AVS /Vegas D looked awful on occasion.
I think we need to raise our standards for blueliners by a lot.

Reactions: iamtalbot

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I think we need to raise our standards for blueliners by a lot.

Yeah, good luck with that. 29 other teams are competing for a handful of solid Dmen this year. What UFA's are an option this year? I thought Brook would have been a lot further along in his pro career by now, he fooled me a bit. We don't have much in the system that can jump up, so maybe they can try and patch a hole by freeing up Tatar/Drouin's salary

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, good luck with that. 29 other teams are competing for a handful of solid Dmen this year. What UFA's are an option this year? I thought Brook would have been a lot further along in his pro career by now, he fooled me a bit. We don't have much in the system that can jump up, so maybe they can try and patch a hole by freeing up Tatar/Drouin's salary
I know... trades are hard.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You honestly think they will waste a spot to protect Drouin? That ain't happening. Drouin is done

Even if the management was willing to leave drouin unprotected, who would they protect instead? Byron????

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
I think part of the reason he is so successful is that he's got surprisingly good first few steps skating-wise, even though his top speed is not high. That allows him to close the gap fast and get out of sticky situations.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Could be an option to keep 8 skaters depending on whether they re-sign Danault before the draft. Or if they think Danault will sign elsewhere if they don't sign him.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Hes been big, great shot blocking, BUT, still struggles to make a good pass, and a goal or 2 would be nice

But losing him to seattle STILL wouldnt be the worst thing in the world, hes a bottom pairer playing top pair because theres no one else, the weber chiarot tandem might be the best PK tandem in the league because they can ice freely, but that doesnt make them a top pairing 5v5.

We have tons of LD on the way, I see Guhle as a perfect replacement for this guy and will be a much better player, it's all about can he become 1LD or can we find one somehow

That being said if seattle take someone else, that's fine too, only 1 more year on Ben's deal anyhow

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Chiarot is good, don't think anyone wants to lose him, but leaving Weber, Petry, or Edmundson unprotected would be worse. Maybe 8 skaters is an option?
I love Chiarot but he's getting exposed man.....he and Drouin.

Maybe throw in a 2nd round pick for Seattle to take Drouin.

100% you protect Edmundson, Weber and Petry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad