Prospect Info: Ben Baumgartner (#161 pick - 2020 draft)

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Castron can do no wrong!

Love this pick, overager doesnt bother me this low in the draft and I like that he already had foundations in a pro league against men

Clearly a wizard with the puck and makes plays look easy, people wont even remember the baseball player once Benjamin steals the spotlight!

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Figured based on how these things work that this was Ken Baumgartner's kid. Or even Nolan Baumgartner.

I like overage picks like this, this guy is clearly performing quite well for his age and so you're just hoping for that additional growth. I imagine if all goes well he will be over here in 2021-22.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
If ya'll don't mind, let me tell you my favorite Baumgartner story. I am the above AutHockeyTX, so I know the Austrian draftees, and the other prospects.

It was like February 2019? Maybe January. Some time around then I think. And Baumi was getting hints of ice time with the Davos senior men's team but it was like 8-9 minutes a game or something. And I was texting with him and we were talking about the season. I'm paraphrasing because this conversation was almost 2 years, and a couple phone ago. And at some point I said something to the effect of "Coach should really be giving you more ice time, you deserve it." And he said something to the effect of "I'm content with the ice time I'm getting." And it wasn't a passive contentedness. It wasn't a laziness or ease of satisfaction. I suggested next "maybe coach will give you some PP time before the season ends." And he said that he was just focused on developing his game. By the end of the season, in the relegation round, he did break out. He did get his ice time, he did get his PP time.

I really loved that, because most players will very proactively complain about how much ice time their coaches give them or the types of usages their coaches allocate them. But Baumi just takes whatever you give him and turns it to gold. His whole career has been turning lemons into lemonade. He went to a Swiss junior program where he definitely given the appropriate training, but there was a kid who the club felt could be a top prospect and so he was definitely overshadowed as far as ice time and line assignments. And he didn't come from Austrian hockey nobility, although he had a few people who advocated for him like Marco Rossi's dad (who always insisted that one day he would play in the NHL), he didn't get a lot of the opportunities early on that other kids got. He moved from Vienna to Davos as a very young kid and just worked his way up. Through U17s, through juniors, then into the NL. I'm extremely happy for him today. I think you all have landed a really good player.

TorontoMedia

Aug 11, 2020
Yeah comparing his stats to kubalik (I know, not a great measure) he definitely has NHL potential

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Reports on Benjamin Baumgartner by @kabidjan18, @Appleyard and former Atlanta scout Bernd Freimüller can be found in the Austrian Prospects thread.
Thanks a lot!

"Benjamin Baumgartner
The hero of the U20 WJC. Draft boards say there’s a possibility that he gets picked in the NHL draft, and I desperately hope that is in fact what happens. He’s fast, he strong for his size, a fantastic play-maker, always seems to find a way to be around the puck. For years he has been a consistent staple for the Junior National Teams. Even for mid-season friendlies when teams would consist largely of names that even people knowledgeable about Austrian hockey would scratch their heads at, Baumgartner would reliably be present. He’s always been there, and in ways, he’s always been the heart and soul of the Austrian Junior National Teams. His success at the Pro level in Switzerland has put him on some radars, he is a candidate for many young player of the year awards. And he deserves everything he’s earned at this point and more."

Those leadership qualities are always a great thing.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
well, part of that is likely because they stunted his development by trying to change his game. We never know what he could have turned out to be.

He put up pedestrian numbers in the SHL before coming over and he put up pedestrian numbers in the AHL after he came over. He was never great at any level, before or after. He's been a decent 1st/2nd liner in Euro leagues. But not an NHL quality player.

Reactions: glenwo2

divis111

Oct 8, 2020
You guys realise that Tedenby played on Baumgartner's wing last season in Davos?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad