Seravalli: Belief is Lindholm won’t re-sign with Calgary

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I wonder what kind of package it would take for a team to snag Lindholm and Hanifin from Calgary.

Two 1sts, a decent roster player, and two seconds?
As a Wing fan, and if CGY decides to blow it up, I'm swapping one of those 2nds out for a 1st for Andersson instead.

#17 and #43 in '23, Bost '24 1st, Wings '24 1st and um... what would be a body that doesn't ruin the tank for the rebuild? Veleno? Fabbri?

Bond

May 10, 2012
Yeah I couldn't imagine Tkachuk wanting to leave after the season their line had as a trio. You got the feeling that group + a few extra depth pieces could have challenged for a cup, so long as Markstrom got his game back.
Exactly. Tre got cute with Gaudreau and got burned. That first playoff run they had sure felt like building blocks to a deeper fun. Now there is zero surprise all the other UFAs want out. Calgary is a good city to be in when the team is good but a coin flip of the team rebounding or falling flat again.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yep. And then he overcorrected with the Huberdeau contract lol.

And this was after trading Sam Bennett for scraps after the team gave up on playing him in his natural position. And he had to trade a 1st to get rid of Monahan when he probably could have gotten an actual asset for him a few years earlier (when it was obvious he was not a true 1C).

Not a great GM unfortunately.
Very unfortunate. RIP.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Yeah, sucks to be a small market Canadian team. They drafted right and then had their two star wingers walk.
I somewhat agree with you, but they did themselves absolutely 0 favors in the process. Between hiring a dinosaur coach and a meddling owner they shot themselves in the foot. As was said earlier in this thread they had an open goal of an opportunity to go into a rebuild and do it right by trading Gaudreau and Tkachuk but chose to go with their egos and bet that they'd keep the group together.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Yikes, Flames need to reshift their focus and do a quick retool, or this is gonna spiral out of control

Bond

May 10, 2012
I somewhat agree with you, but they did themselves absolutely 0 favors in the process. Between hiring a dinosaur coach and a meddling owner they shot themselves in the foot. As was said earlier in this thread they had an open goal of an opportunity to go into a rebuild and do it right by trading Gaudreau and Tkachuk but chose to go with their egos and bet that they'd keep the group together.
Oh for sure. I think with a better GM this could have been avoided but I think players would have been more likely to re-sign in this same situation if they were a So-Cal or Florida team.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Only makes the decision to move Tkachuk for veterans even dumber. Could have had one hell of a start on a rebuild. Instead they stuck themselves into the middle forever. At least that GM is gone.
With the benefit of hindsight, it's easy to reach this conclusion. At the time, Calgary looked like they won the trade. When those extensions were signed, it was looking like a fleece. It didn't turn out the way they wanted, but they fully expected to continue competing at the time (which was reasonable).

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Jesus. Hanifin, Lindholm and now Backlund? Can anyone tell me what are the conditions to that pick that was sent to Montreal again?

Bond

May 10, 2012
Yikes, Flames need to reshift their focus and do a quick retool, or this is gonna spiral out of control
Their is no-retool at this point. She done. It will just be a question if they actually trade assets or go for one last miracle run and then lose the UFAs for nothing

Bond

May 10, 2012
Jesus. Hanifin, Lindholm and now Backlund? Can anyone tell me what are the conditions to that pick that was sent to Montreal again?
The worse the Flames bottom out, the more likely is that Montreal gets Florida's 1st. Best realistic case for Montreal is the Flames getting the 11th overall in 25. There is an outside shot of a better pick than that if Florida also bottoms out over the next two seasons.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
So is Calgary gonna just retool? That’s Hanifin, Lindholm, and now Backlund too. Taffoli and Tanev have a year left on their deals. That is a ton of top 6/4 depth on the line for a team that’s “going for it”.

Wouldn’t hate Tanev in Dallas as Miro’s partner.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Montreal gets Calgary's 1st round pick in 2025, which has all of the confusing conditions. It will likely be the worse of Calgary's 2025 1st or Florida's 2025 1st round picks

If Calgary's 2024 1st round pick is 20-32, Montreal can choose to take the 2024 1st round pick (spoiler: it probably won't be)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
With the benefit of hindsight, it's easy to reach this conclusion. At the time, Calgary looked like they won the trade. When those extensions were signed, it was looking like a fleece. It didn't turn out the way they wanted, but they fully expected to continue competing at the time (which was reasonable).
It was clear as day that they’d give them a very short window.

It was a very shortsighted view

Bond

May 10, 2012
So is Calgary gonna just retool? That’s Hanifin, Lindholm, and now Backlund too. Taffoli and Tanev have a year left on their deals. That is a ton of top 6/4 depth on the line for a team that’s “going for it”.

Wouldn’t hate Tanev in Dallas as Miro’s partner.
There is no-retool now unless Dubois would be open to being overpaid by the Flames lol. Tre left the Flames a mess and hopefully Conroy will clean it up rather than going for one last run.

Reactions: Boomstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad