Being a geek can be profitable

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Heard about this being pulled the other week.
Was kind of hoping the person would actually end up keeping the card, but when you are able to sell it so that you can pretty much go ahead and retire possibly, then I can't really blame the person for doing so :laugh:

In a retro find thread here in this same forum, it does pay to be a geek sometimes.
Rare finds of things like these cards, or even old or rare video games that are in great condition can net you insane profits.

Reactions: H3ckt1k and beowulf

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Can confirm, have made thousands off of being good at one singular video game

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Heard about this being pulled the other week.
Was kind of hoping the person would actually end up keeping the card, but when you are able to sell it so that you can pretty much go ahead and retire possibly, then I can't really blame the person for doing so :laugh:

In a retro find thread here in this same forum, it does pay to be a geek sometimes.
Rare finds of things like these cards, or even old or rare video games that are in great condition can net you insane profits.
This will not change his life, more than likely it will all revert back to what it is now.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You don't think getting $2.6M for an average guy who was not wealthy won't change his life at all?

If I got $2.6M I'd probably never work again. Certainly not full time. It's not "I'm rich bitch" do whatever you want money but it's certainly enough for people in certain areas of the world to live without worrying about much for the rest of their life.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
No, in a couple of years he will be right back to where he is now.
Unless he is smart and the first thing he did when he got the money was hire a financial advisor.

It's not worth millions but retro gaming has been profitable the last few years. To the point where you have to watch out for fake cartridges if you are a buyer.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I remember playing games for fun.

Same.

Along with saving up your allowance/birthday/Christmas money and buying games because you wanted to unwrap them, fire em' up in your console, and play em'

:wally:
And we didn't have no "internet" to tell us if a game was good or not either!!

We relied on just plain ol' schoolyard word of mouth, and maybe an issue of Nintendo Power magazine (printed on real paper!!) if you were rich or had a friend that was.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Back in the day I would sell higher end item from Diablo 2 on eBay lol
Back in the time, my at the time girlfriend played Diablo 2 and a bunch of randoms would add her and then when they saw me (my character) playing with her they'd challenge me to a dual and I pretty much couldn't leave the main town safely.

Is the card actually from MTG, or just from LOTR card game that's similar to MTG ?

Is it from a subset like U glued ?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I've gone to Anime Expo and Comic Con once and both times treated like a celebrity if you're in cosplay.

I get it in terms of the avid fandom but it’s also true that the skimpiest of cosplay generally (but not always) gets the most attention.

If you’re in the business of marketing your looks for money, you can do worse than dressing up like a video game or anime character.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad