Beginning of a new Western dynasty: The Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Should pump the breaks on this.

It takes at least 1 cup to be considered the beginning of a Dynasty. Back to backs to really make it a discussion and a three-peat for it to be true.

I remember Carolina getting this same dynasty talk on HF before and after their first Cup win.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Enström will most probably not stay long with the Jets anymore. And his contract will free some capspace for giving Morrissey what he deserves. Niku is a potentially pretty good D-man in a season or two, and he will be playing still quite a while with a smaller salary. Enström has not been thst important player for the Jets anymore. He was a lot of the season injured and they did just fine without him. Jets might also try to get rid of Little (I would at least recommend it, as he is a quite mediocre forward, especially for his salary) and that would fee nicely also some capspace. Roslovic can most probably be taking Little’s spot if that happens. That might make the Jets in fact even stronger than they are now.

I don’t see the Jets getting seriously into any kind of real capspace problems for many years. Knowing Laine, he will most probably take the most team friendly salary that is realistically possible for a talent like him. He is not stupid and greedy and he wants to win more than anything, so him settling for 7-8 millions per season is very well possible.

Also I’m pretty sure that Wheeler and Byfuglien will be sertling for team friendlies in the future, if they still want to continue playing for the Jets. I don’t think hey will continue as Jets in the future, if they will not be willing to check their salaries down, as in a couple of years they will most probably decline already at least a bit, but could still be useful for the Jets with maybe a bit reduced role and smaller salaries.

Chevy is anyway a magnificent GM, so I’m practically sure that the Jets will be an absolute force 5-10 years from now on. Maybe tough thing for some other team’s fans, but when thinking of how small amount of success Winnipeg has had so far, I would say that just try to suck it up. Anyway there will be se real other wrong cup contenders every year, so for sure thinking of any real dynasties is pretty much stuff from Utopia.

I think Toby is going to sign a very team friendly contract and finish his career in Winnipeg.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
jets_zpsfrpdirpz.jpg

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Meh, the better your players are, the more you need to pay them. Helle alone probably earned an extra million AAV from this year's playoffs...

Staying good a long time means making some cruel, heartless choices in addition to continuing your good track record.

I'm just happy beyond words we have even made it this far.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I agree with this. The Jets are built to be a top NHL team for many years to come. No matter what happens going forward they getting great PO experience. As a Jet fan they have not done anything yet but they have the pieces to be a contender for many years to come. The Oiler are not built the same way. I expected the Oilers to regress this season but I did not expect them to be as bad as they were.

I expect the Oilers to have a bounce back year next season and make the PO's but I don't see that team to be at the Jet level.

Jets are a definitely a deep team. I hope they get past Vegas, It will set up to be a fun Finals Jets - Lightning. The Oilers do have McDavid-Draisaitl-Larsson and if Puljujarvi and Yamamoto pan out it may end up being a fun rivalry.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Relative to every other Jets first round pick he's quite far behind.
Sure, but it was in fact realized that that would be the case for several years. He was at the draft already thought of as a long time project. I think he has been already developing pretty much how it was expected to happen. In two or three years he might already be a pretty good NHL defenceman if his development continues still in a steady way.

Reactions: Saintb

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looked at the Jets picks since 2011. On the current roster.

Scheifele
Lowry
Trouba
Hellybuyck
Morrissey
Copp
Ehlers
Connor
Roslovic
Laine

Quite the list of contributors that were home grown. The amazing thing about this list. All fall between 20-25 years old.

A true testament of how well this team is built. Balanced and deep with home grown talent. Best and most deep team in Canada.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what????????

I didn't hear about that. That's terrible.

Yeah remember when Toby left the team back in early November of the 2016/17 season for "personal reasons"? Well it happened to be his fiancee had been diagnosed with cancer. She is a TV personality in Sweden and they just recently got married last summer. She is currently undergoing cancer treatments so I'd imagine Toby would like to be with her during that time. This is why Laine donated a portion of his signing bonus to the Hockey Fights Cancer campaign. I believe this is also why the motto around the team has been that they have to win this year as it is likely Enstrom's last with the team.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah remember when Toby left the team back in early November of the 2016/17 season for "personal reasons"? Well it happened to be his fiancee had been diagnosed with cancer. She is a TV personality in Sweden and they just recently got married last summer. She is currently undergoing cancer treatments so I'd imagine Toby would like to be with her during that time. This is why Laine donated a portion of his signing bonus to the Hockey Fights Cancer campaign. I believe this is also why the motto around the team has been that they have to win this year as it is likely Enstrom's last with the team.
Damn man! I can't believe I knew absolutely none of that. That's terrible and I hope she makes a full recovery.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Can't stand this "dynasty"stuff. Replace that term with "contender" makes far more sense......

Love the structure and culture that Chevy has built around here, drafting skill and smarts, every year. When he does "make a move" it seems to work out.

1. Trading Mr. Distraction (Kane) and acquiring big organization depth getting Myers, Armia, Roslovic, Lemiux, and two years of Stafford. Also freeing up a ton of cap (Kane, Bogo contracts)
2. Stastny at the deadline - home run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad