Before you buy NHL22, think about this:

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Hockey's just a game, this game is a gamified version of the real deal. You guys take this way too seriously. I have no idea why you think they have any interest in selling to a small subset of the population who are all obsessed with competitive fake hockey. Most of their sales comes from 12 year olds.
I’m sure you’re destroying your local beer leagues currently. Just don’t take it too seriously.

Reactions: SegaChanneller

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Lot of shitty players (mostly boomers) here complaining again, it seems. Like they are every year.

At least inside the competetive and (semi-)professional scene (here in Northern Europe) the game is liked by many.

Maybe actually spend time on learning the game and its mechanics (master the skill stick for example) before shitting on the game just because you lose to someone online.

And no, there is no ice tilt. It’s just psychological. And a way for people to find excuses when they lose, mostly.
At least they are trying new things with the game physics. That is positive. I will probably grow to like it more. The last 7 games were plagued with the same goal-glitches and some of them won't work now - that is a huge positive. They solve it in odd ways, but at least they show they KNOW of them. I am cautiously positive in that they might be on the right track.

Weirdest solutions for problems that I have sern this far:

Players go in bunches when a player does not poke check. Three players pretty much hugging.

Goalie super stretches out to take cross-ice one-timer goals. Problem is when the goalie makes a twice in a life time save 15 times a game.

Last edited:

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
Because you’re not as consistant as you think...

For years and years that i’ve spent playing this game, people have moaned about ”ice-tilt” but for whatever reason all players with high win % don’t recall ever facing issues with it, maybe they just happen to get the best luck with ice tilt? For whatever reason that ice tilt has also never been confirmed, dispute being said as excuse for losing since NHL 04.

The ”ice-tilt” patent is in FIFA too, it just adjusts the A.I difficulty based on how you play, it doesn’t affect players that are user controlled. NOBODY is claiming to have anysort of tilt in FIFA.
I don’t really play the game much anymore because of it so I'm sure my consistency is off. However back when I played this game 12 hours a day and was a top 100 player I knew it was there then too.

I feel bad when my opponent is being tilted and it sucks when I’m being tilted. It goes both ways for me, not only when I’m losing and it’s ridiculously obvious and painful. I’ll give opponents goals if I’m dominating just to give them some momentum back so the game will be fun again.

I would imagine no one in fifa is complaining about ice tilt because there’s no ice. Google just FIFA tilt and you’ll find numerous threads about it so to me it seems like you’re just self consciously not allowing you to see or be open to it going on.

Reactions: TheShape

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
The bolded is absolute nonsense. You should play Chel against 1st line LG NHL players, you will see what skill can do.
Thats PsychicSaw. He is best known for bein the guy in the old HF GM connected leagues who would start screaming in his mic and rage quitting as soon as he started losing. I have some pretty pathetic videos of him from that I should try to find. Also NHL 09 required the least skill of all the games. The passing was automatic and a toe drag wrist shot was basically a guaranteed goal from pretty much anywhere inside the blueline.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Almost all of these complaints only relate to HUT stop playing the shitty game mode that forces you to pay to win and you'll be much happier :)

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Thats PsychicSaw. He is best known for bein the guy in the old HF GM connected leagues who would start screaming in his mic and rage quitting as soon as he started losing. I have some pretty pathetic videos of him from that I should try to find. Also NHL 09 required the least skill of all the games. The passing was automatic and a toe drag wrist shot was basically a guaranteed goal from pretty much anywhere inside the blueline.
Haha I would love to see such videos

Unless someone was doing the very thing you are possibly alluding to (the "curve shot"?), and attempting to "beat" the game (exploit) and not trying to beat the player, I would never quit any game. I was very well respected in the community of hardcore players and specifically took a lot of pride in trying to earn goals with appreciation from my opponent. Because guess what? The vast majority of people exploit these games without any respect to earning a thing.

As far as raging into the mic, I most definitely say my piece to someone that is again, being a complete waste of my time and playing with no integrity. Gm connected is a private league of invited players, that I recall spending a lot of time organizing, to promote INTEGRITY. So all signs, to me, sound like you got some explaining to do.

Let's see you put your money wear your mouth is stranger; where's the evidence and most importantly context to said videos?

Last edited:

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
The bolded is absolute nonsense. You should play Chel against 1st line LG NHL players, you will see what skill can do.
Absolute nonsense? This game still has sticks phasing through pucks when it decides it.

This game still controls the animation of your character for almost every action, again, when it decides it.

What shot block do you want to do? Game decides. What direction do you want your poke or stick lift? Game decides.

Every "1st line player" I've seen exploits things that defies physics to recreate the same plays that the game can't handle, not their opponent. This is lost on so many people.

Haha found 3 different LG videos exactly what I expected, forced passes into bodies that get rewarded because the game allows it. These players didn't even earn exiting their zone let alone entering their opponents let alone getting a shot attempt.

By all means if you have a video of a game performance that shows otherwise, let me know.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Haha I would love to see such videos

Unless someone was doing the very thing you are possibly alluding to (the "curve shot"?), and attempting to "beat" the game (exploit) and not trying to beat the player, I would never quit any game. I was very well respected in the community of hardcore players and specifically took a lot of pride in trying to earn goals with appreciation from my opponent. Because guess what? The vast majority of people exploit these games without any respect to earning a thing.

As far as raging into the mic, I most definitely say my piece to someone that is again, being a complete waste of my time and playing with no integrity. Gm connected is a private league of invited players, that I recall spending a lot of time organizing, to promote INTEGRITY. So all signs, to me, sound like you got some explaining to do.

Let's see you put your money wear your mouth is stranger; where's the evidence and most importantly context to said videos?
Ya none of this is true. You would always go for a dumb hit and miss then give up an odd man rush or breakaway. No matter what I did to score you would put your mic on and start screaming into your mic “f***ING GLITCH GOALS!!!!!! f*** YOU!!!!” You would spend the rest of the game whining in your mic then quit as soon as you realized you had no chance of winning.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Absolute nonsense? This game still has sticks phasing through pucks when it decides it.

This game still controls the animation of your character for almost every action, again, when it decides it.

What shot block do you want to do? Game decides. What direction do you want your poke or stick lift? Game decides.

Every "1st line player" I've seen exploits things that defies physics to recreate the same plays that the game can't handle, not their opponent. This is lost on so many people.

Haha found 3 different LG videos exactly what I expected, forced passes into bodies that get rewarded because the game allows it. These players didn't even earn exiting their zone let alone entering their opponents let alone getting a shot attempt.

By all means if you have a video of a game performance that shows otherwise, let me know.
Saying that skill isn't needed to win in this game is nonsense man. Yes, there are weird bounces and dumb shit happens too often but the best of the best find a way to win. That's why Jclaus wins so many tournaments and cups, it isn't because of what you're whining about, it's because he's one of the best out there, or as others might say, he's very skilled.

Last edited:

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Ya none of this is true. You would always go for a dumb hit and miss then give up an odd man rush or breakaway. No matter what I did to score you would put your mic on and start screaming into your mic “f***ING GLITCH GOALS!!!!!! f*** YOU!!!!” You would spend the rest of the game whining in your mic then quit as soon as you realized you had no chance of winning.
I was on the first eashl winning team purple cobraz that got flown out to ea Vancouver.

I was the first invitee to the program that eventually got rebranded as game changers.

I took pride in putting a lot of effort into running GMC connected leagues, that you claim to have been a part of. Ones that priotized integrity in gameplay and not exploiting. Finding the right people that cared enough about that.

I would never quit a game early, in a league I spent hours and days and weeks of effort in organizing, for someone that was playing in the spirit of sportsmanship, especially within a private league.

Evidently, the onus is on the context of your play.

If you were abusing the game in this manner, in a private league, why would anyone want to play you?

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009

I even just found the damn writeup. Look at the 2nd paragraph haha. Yeah I'm definitely skeptical of you bud.
Google Docs - create and edit documents online, for free.

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
Almost all of these complaints only relate to HUT stop playing the shitty game mode that forces you to pay to win and you'll be much happier :)

That's kinda lazy to say that the mode is pay to win when it really isn't. Obviously it would be nice that the micro transactions would be banned but that's likely never going to happen.

The only situation where buying packs/coins gets you significant advantage is right at the beginning when everyone has shitty teams. If you know what you are doing it takes like ~10h/first week of rewards to get a good enough team for free where you gonna beat players that are worse than you most of the time even if they have significantly better players. Even if it's two similarly skilled players I would argue that the card overalls don't matter too much if the worse team just has basic important attributes covered namely speed.
It's pretty funny to read hut reddit where half of the community whines about pay to win and the other half whines about how their superteams are getting wrecked by base gold teams.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
That's kinda lazy to say that the mode is pay to win when it really isn't. Obviously it would be nice that the micro transactions would be banned but that's likely never going to happen.

The only situation where buying packs/coins gets you significant advantage is right at the beginning when everyone has shitty teams. If you know what you are doing it takes like ~10h/first week of rewards to get a good enough team for free where you gonna beat players that are worse than you most of the time even if they have significantly better players. Even if it's two similarly skilled players I would argue that the card overalls don't matter too much if the worse team just has basic important attributes covered namely speed.
It's pretty funny to read hut reddit where half of the community whines about pay to win and the other half whines about how their superteams are getting wrecked by base gold teams.

How is it lazy? It's exactly the point of the game mode. To tap into young kids gambling addictions and boost those serotonin levels from opening packs so they want more more more. The rest of your post delves into HuT mechanics that I could not care less about as I don't and never have played HuT because there's a vastly superior game mode in EASHL. Why anyone would choose to play with computers and cheese the game over and over like its 2004 still I'll never understand.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Guys in here bitching about lack of "skill" are probably expecting to dangle through entire teams lol. Thing is, just like in real hockey, you have skilled defenders. The top tier games I've played, like my most recent one against NextUp in RDS tournament (we won 3-1) was played 90% in neutral zone. If you are letting skilled (yes skilled!!) players enter your zone without being contested, you are going to get eaten alive. Just like in real hockey.

If for you skill is being able to dangle through everyone, go play 3s drop in. If you want to challenge yourself to play as quickly as possible and being positionally sound, then you might have a chance at winning. If you don't play that was and lose, then don't bitch about "the lack skill". Chances are your opponent is more skilled than you.

Reactions: sufferer

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
How is it lazy? It's exactly the point of the game mode. To tap into young kids gambling addictions and boost those serotonin levels from opening packs so they want more more more. The rest of your post delves into HuT mechanics that I could not care less about as I don't and never have played HuT because there's a vastly superior game mode in EASHL. Why anyone would choose to play with computers and cheese the game over and over like its 2004 still I'll never understand.

Well here you perfectly describe the lazy part by not knowing the mechanics and assume that it is pay to win when in reality it's pretty easy to be on a same playing field without spending any money. I totally agree by the way that HUT and in general most other micro transaction games exploit gambling addictions and that EASHL is a superior mode compared to HUT.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Well here you perfectly describe the lazy part by not knowing the mechanics and assume that it is pay to win when in reality it's pretty easy to be on a same playing field without spending any money. I totally agree by the way that HUT and in general most other micro transaction games exploit gambling addictions and that EASHL is a superior mode compared to HUT.
The mechanics are as described. Cheesing the computer over and over until a winner is determined by who can cheese better and who has the better players on their team. If it wasn't pay- to-win people wouldn't sink 100's or 1000's of dollars into the game mode. If the ability to grind out the mode and get the best content without buying anything was reasonable for the average person people would not sink vast sums of money into the game mode. It is and always has been, since its introduction, the money maker for the EA series of sports games. In order to sustain that model, there needs to be an unreasonable way to obtain said products without paying money to attain them, and a significant difference in the value of top tier cards versus easily attainable ones. People would not spend if there was no difference, nor would they spend if you could reasonably grind for a while to acquire a team that is competitive. How much do people spend? Just last year, EA made over 1.6 Billion dollars on Ultimate Team game modes. The people that play HuT are suckers, and are also choosing to subject themselves to a vastly inferior game. So when I read a giant list of complaints, and the majority only apply to the game mode that EA prints money from, that is made to generate money, and ONLY to generate money, I think it's perfectly valid to criticize. I also don't think it's lazy at all to acknowledge that the mode in its entirety, the purpose behind it, is to be pay to win for the consumer, and it has always been that way. Regardless of the skill expression, regardless of the actual mechanics of the game mode. It is the embodiment of what is wrong with micro-transactions, gambling addiction in video games, and the pay-to-win model.

It's not lazy, it's reality

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
The mechanics are as described. Cheesing the computer over and over until a winner is determined by who can cheese better and who has the better players on their team. If it wasn't pay- to-win people wouldn't sink 100's or 1000's of dollars into the game mode. If the ability to grind out the mode and get the best content without buying anything was reasonable for the average person people would not sink vast sums of money into the game mode. It is and always has been, since its introduction, the money maker for the EA series of sports games. In order to sustain that model, there needs to be an unreasonable way to obtain said products without paying money to attain them, and a significant difference in the value of top tier cards versus easily attainable ones. People would not spend if there was no difference, nor would they spend if you could reasonably grind for a while to acquire a team that is competitive. How much do people spend? Just last year, EA made over 1.6 Billion dollars on Ultimate Team game modes. The people that play HuT are suckers, and are also choosing to subject themselves to a vastly inferior game. So when I read a giant list of complaints, and the majority only apply to the game mode that EA prints money from, that is made to generate money, and ONLY to generate money, I think it's perfectly valid to criticize. I also don't think it's lazy at all to acknowledge that the mode in its entirety, the purpose behind it, is to be pay to win for the consumer, and it has always been that way. Regardless of the skill expression, regardless of the actual mechanics of the game mode. It is the embodiment of what is wrong with micro-transactions, gambling addiction in video games, and the pay-to-win model.

It's not lazy, it's reality

I'd say winner is more often decided by who can defend the cheeses/high danger shots better as well as just general zone entries. I mean every game that has bots and is competitive, people will try to exploit the A.I and that's something that really can't be fixed in 1on1 format.

Yes people spend ridiculous amounts of money by buying packs which will not guarantee any edge over your opponents, it just helps people to make coins which especially helps at the start. I have no idea what % of HUT players actually spend money but probably like in most micro-transaction games its 5-20% of the population that makes most of the revenue. Again I agree that the micro-transaction gambling is f***ed up and should be criticized and hopefully at some its banned altogether.

I definitely disagree with your statement that it takes unreasonable grind as average f2p. Obviously it's subjective what is unreasonable but the biggest problem is that people just don't know how to play the mode and assume that you have to spend ridiculous amounts of time or money to build a competitive team and then criticize all who play the mode, which I think is lazy.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You absolutely don’t need to spend money to get a great HUT team. The only $$$ I’ve spent was two nights ago when I paid $17 for that 22&U pack. The only good card I got was Turcotte.

It’s very easy to make coins, exchange gold players in sets, and fill out your team. As far as gameplay mechanics, there’s PLENTY to exploit in EASHL also. Let’s not pretend that it’s immune to having to defend against cheese and glitch goals constantly the same way HUT is

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
If they just let us edit players in franchise mode I would buy this game

Will never understand why they removed it. I just want to have fun and mess around in an offline mode

Just make it an add-on and I'll pay $5 if thats what they want

Reactions: John Price

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Part of the reason I play NHL very, very little anymore is because MLB The Show's Diamond Dynasty is just infinitely better than EA's UT.

No player contracts: You get the card, you can use it.
Instead of auctions for individual cards, it's a market for each card that exists.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
You absolutely don’t need to spend money to get a great HUT team. The only $$$ I’ve spent was two nights ago when I paid $17 for that 22&U pack. The only good card I got was Turcotte.

It’s very easy to make coins, exchange gold players in sets, and fill out your team. As far as gameplay mechanics, there’s PLENTY to exploit in EASHL also. Let’s not pretend that it’s immune to having to defend against cheese and glitch goals constantly the same way HUT is
what glitch goals can you have in 6s? Its a human goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad