OT: Beer Thread II

Dog as Man

Mostly sniffing around.
Feb 27, 2002
Napa
Read today that Balast Point was sold before making its debut as the first Craft Brewer IPO. The company that owns Corona and Modelo is paying, (please sit if standing), 1Billion dollars for the Brand. Cheers Dudes.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Read today that Balast Point was sold before making its debut as the first Craft Brewer IPO. The company that owns Corona and Modelo is paying, (please sit if standing), 1Billion dollars for the Brand. Cheers Dudes.

Yup, heard that.
Not too surprised... They are a huge producer and cover both beer and spirits.

I don't dislike them, but not surprised they were willing to sell. Aside from the beer, kinda a lot of questionable **** from them. One of the few "craft" producers who I've seen advertise by talking about how cold their beer is (they were on facebook teaming up with a beer coozy maker saying how even an hour later their beer is ice cold), The only dates they put on their bottle is a julien code, hidden in the label art, they have been pushing distribution HARD. There is so little good bottle shops around me, its all just liquor stores with bud light, coors, and fully stocked shelf of 6+ month old $16 6 packs of sculpin that really doesn't seem to fit in or sell. They have also been taking a page from Budweiser making canned cocktails...
I still like a sculpin, I'm not going to avoid buying it... But they want sales, money and distribution more then anything IMO.

Friulian Flyers

Apr 9, 2007
Maniago, Italy
Really smooth for an IPA.

dogfish_60.jpg

Our base here in Italy just got a shipment from them. Cases of 60 and 90 Minute IPA. Christmas came early....such a nice change from the shelf turds we usually get. Both are marvelous, but I think I prefer the 90 minute.

Friulian Flyers

Apr 9, 2007
Maniago, Italy

Friulian Flyers

Apr 9, 2007
Maniago, Italy
Had a craft brew festival here a few weeks ago, and picked up some real beauties.

20295_10156119402565403_6463638415560277263_n.jpg

You are looking at a bottle of Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic Bio and a bottle of Trappist Westvleteren 12.

12182217_10156135850585403_1789814134_n.jpg

This is one of Birra Baladin's premier Barley Wine's. Made in 2011, aged in whiskey barrels. 14% ABV, no carbonation, supposed to be black gold in a glass.

I also found a four pack of Old Rasputin, and a bottle of Oude Gueuze Tilquin à l'Ancienne.
12200950_10156142329470403_1906386267_n.jpg

Very good time finding some very rare brews.

On another note, Italy has a very very strong craft brew scene. Had some great IPA's and Imperial Stouts that really rivaled some of the offerings I've had from the USA. Check out Birra Baladin, Birra Del Borgo, Opperbacco, and Bad Attitude series from the Ticino Brewing Company from Switzerland.

Kind of long winded, but being a hop head in the land of wine, I don't get to chat beer very often.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Haven't had it yet, thought I'd share the announcement though. It's only on tap. Should be released to stores soon.

Captain Mittens*

Not a big fan of Even Keel, just think there are better tasting session ipas. Haven't tried the mango, so it may be better. Ballast is great though. If you haven't done, so recommend going to their tasting room in Little Italy in SD. Food is very good, seafood.

Will do. Thanks brother

scryan

May 1, 2013
Man the local Vons has been having mixed 12s of firestone walker for $12.99

Easy Jack just barely has this little hint of grassiness that I could do without... but otherwise is really ****ing awesome. Much like.

scryan

May 1, 2013
ALSO.... I am sad I didn't make it into Bottle Logic last weekend... Last week or so they were on their last keg of Cherry Berliner Weisse. Haven't had to many Berliner Weisses, but the style is appealing, particularly with something like cherry added to offset the tartness... like a session sour beer. I forgot what it was called, but the Star Wars themed variant was even better. Guessing I'll be out there this Sunday, MAYBE there will be some left but I bet not.

Meanwhile, their RIS Darkstar Novemeber.... I'd like to try again after it had been aged a year or two... but damn. It just tasted like hot. Way too much fusil alcohol. People go ******* over that stuff, paying WAY too much for a 22 and theirs kegs were kicked FAST... but TBH it sucked fresh. Gave me a newfound respect for Monsters Park, being a huge stout that was good out the park...

OH! and Bourbon County Stout... Had for the first time.
I usually don't like stuff aged in whatever hard alcohol barrel. I am not a big hard alcohol drinker... This **** DEFINITELY tasted heavily of bourbon, which turned me off... But such a good stout, and the finish was so deliciously heavy chocolate with vanilla from the barrels I couldn't not like it. Regardless of the initial bourbon flavor it was such a good beer. I know someone who bought a case of it, can't wait to try it with a year or so on it so that boozy flavor can die down a bit.

Friulian Flyers

Apr 9, 2007
Maniago, Italy
ALSO.... I am sad I didn't make it into Bottle Logic last weekend... Last week or so they were on their last keg of Cherry Berliner Weisse. Haven't had to many Berliner Weisses, but the style is appealing, particularly with something like cherry added to offset the tartness... like a session sour beer. I forgot what it was called, but the Star Wars themed variant was even better. Guessing I'll be out there this Sunday, MAYBE there will be some left but I bet not.

Meanwhile, their RIS Darkstar Novemeber.... I'd like to try again after it had been aged a year or two... but damn. It just tasted like hot. Way too much fusil alcohol. People go ******* over that stuff, paying WAY too much for a 22 and theirs kegs were kicked FAST... but TBH it sucked fresh. Gave me a newfound respect for Monsters Park, being a huge stout that was good out the park...

OH! and Bourbon County Stout... Had for the first time.
I usually don't like stuff aged in whatever hard alcohol barrel. I am not a big hard alcohol drinker... This **** DEFINITELY tasted heavily of bourbon, which turned me off... But such a good stout, and the finish was so deliciously heavy chocolate with vanilla from the barrels I couldn't not like it. Regardless of the initial bourbon flavor it was such a good beer. I know someone who bought a case of it, can't wait to try it with a year or so on it so that boozy flavor can die down a bit.

Was it the 2015 release? I read on beeradvocate Goose Island was offering refunds on it due to it not being up to usual standards. Rumors were floating it may have been infected.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Was it the 2015 release? I read on beeradvocate Goose Island was offering refunds on it due to it not being up to usual standards. Rumors were floating it may have been infected.

yeah was a 2015 release... I'll have to look up the rumors and see what kind of infection people were claiming. I had it with a few people who have had a lot of beer, done a lot of brewing and are fairly familiar with off flavors... and no one really noticed anything off.

edit: ahhh,
http://www.gooseisland.com/blog?id=post_11
was the bourbon county coffee and bourbon county barlywine, not the regular stout.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Because they are delicious.

I actually didn't like them for a long time, but I did like beers like new castle, fat tire, moose drool... Tried some porters and only liked the more chocolatey ones, but didn't like the ones that reminded me of coffee.
The more I got into porters the more I didn't mind the coffee-ish ones. And from there moved on to stouts.

Friulian Flyers

Apr 9, 2007
Maniago, Italy
Give me one and I'll gladly show you how I drink it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

On the other hand, I don't know how anyone can tolerate New Castle. To me it tastes like the contents of an 1800's chamber-pot.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site

Tried it this weekend. At 15%, it just wasn't very good. Too strong imo, it would've been better at 11-12%.

Did have a bottle of Russian River Damnation, which was awesome. Total wines had it, limit 1 bottle. Their stuff is legit

Picked up the Green Flash tangerine ipa, haven't tried it yet. I usually like their beers.

scryan

May 1, 2013
news from slovenia: a hot new microbrewery (https://www.facebook.com/Reservoir.Dogs.brewery?fref=ts). some damn good stuff, i fell in love with their brand "starvation". good beer.

I wish I could find more good black ipas here... You would think in socal it wouldn't be too hard, but I rarely see them. Stones Enjoy By black ipa is not too bad, but they are too good at only using dark malts that add very little flavor. By taste I usually just get a little hint on the back end that its a dark beer. I like just a little more. Like someone needs to start making more hoppy porters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad