Bedard - interview skills

F86puck

Feb 20, 2020
I would like to see someone train Bedard more on interviewing. Whether he likes it or not, he is the new face of the league. You need to sound clear, and enthusiastic without going overboard. He mumbles his words a lot, and doesn't show a lot of energy. Basically, he is TOO concerned about sounding selfish and arrogant. It explains his neutral reaction when he scores, too. You don't have to be Ovechkin-ish, but smiling is not illegal. He clearly was taught to be humble, which is wonderful. But I would work on the interview skills. It would go a long way for him, the team, and the game.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
It's a lot like Conor McDavid - they are unreal hockey talents but their personalities aren't very marketable for the game.

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Every time an Evander Kane flashes money or Ovechkin comes out speaking about personal greatness, a huge % of hockey fandom comes out in demanding they keep things as bland as cardboard. "Oh wow, did you see the pattern on that suit, it's so different from the other suits?"

I worry about Bedard in this regard, he seems to smile a little more than Sid or McDavid, may be interpreted to show too much individualism.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The simple fact is that the average non-goalie hockey player is utterly boring in a conversational setting. Bedard's not really out of the norm on that front.

Reactions: Bedarded

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I actually think Bedard is great. He can give enthusiastic responses, is well spoken, and seems to be very mature in his disposition.

Great ambassador for hockey and big props to his parents for raising a level-headed kid who has been touted as a superstar for a long time. Can you imagine how easy it would have been for a pre-teen kid to go off the rails after people claiming you're the next Gretzky. Hell, look at kids like Trevor Connelly in this year's draft. Obviously, a very talented hockey player but an unbalanced human that probably let it go to his head and he thought he was above reproach for some of his actions.

Hawks are lucky to have Bedard. Composed kid who is seemingly a hell of a human.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Every time an Evander Kane flashes money or Ovechkin comes out speaking about personal greatness, a huge % of hockey fandom comes out in demanding they keep things as bland as cardboard. "Oh wow, did you see the pattern on that suit, it's so different from the other suits?"

I worry about Bedard in this regard, he seems to smile a little more than Sid or McDavid, may be interpreted to show too much individualism.

Yeah, it was hockey fans wanting to keep things "as bland as cardboard" that had them calling out Evander Kane for super douchebaggery.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't watch hockey for how players act off the ice -- I watch hockey for how they play on it.

Reactions: Pertti

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I would like to see someone train Bedard more on interviewing. Whether he likes it or not, he is the new face of the league. You need to sound clear, and enthusiastic without going overboard. He mumbles his words a lot, and doesn't show a lot of energy. Basically, he is TOO concerned about sounding selfish and arrogant. It explains his neutral reaction when he scores, too. You don't have to be Ovechkin-ish, but smiling is not illegal. He clearly was taught to be humble, which is wonderful. But I would work on the interview skills. It would go a long way for him, the team, and the game.

I think you’re missing the mark on Bedard. He’s got a dry sense of humor and it comes out in his interviews.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

eklund2chicago

Jan 19, 2021
I think Bedard will do way better in interviews in the future. Now though he is an 18 year old rookie and he knows how an 18 year old rookie is expected to behave and therefore he does not say anything controversial cocky. I think he is overcompensating with being too humble/boring because it is clear that he does have a fun peronsality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad