OT: Beatles Survey (and General Beatlemania Thread)

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
If you've ever interacted with me on here or have even just looked at my username then you probably know I like the Beatles a little bit. I've had the tendency, at times, to muck up general music-related threads or even completely nonrelated threads like PGTs with Fab Four spam. But I've met and had good conversations with other Beatles fans on this very forum. So, if you're a fan of the band, feel free to come together right now (I actually don't really like that song), right here and discuss whatever.

Also, feel free to take this survey I came up with the other day. I realized I'm always talking to others about my favorite Beatles songs but never really ask anyone else about theirs. In this survey, you'll simply first select your favorite, then your least favorite song from each Beatles album, and then pick up to four of your favorite non-album songs. You can skip questions if you like (for example, if you're not familiar enough with an album to have a favorite or least favorite song, or simply don't have a favorite or least favorite). Once I have gotten a satisfactory amount of responses to accumulate enough data, I'll post the results. I am posting this survey in multiple places (FB and the entertainment forum) so your answers won't be the only ones recorded.

Beatles Survey 2020

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
The Beatles are a huge part of my life. Thanks for this.

PPM
Best: Please Please Me
Worst: A Taste of Honey

WTB
Best: It Won’t Be Long
Worst: Money (That’s What I Want)

BFS
Best: No Reply
Worst: Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby

Help!
Best: Ticket To Ride
Worst: Dizzy Miss Lizzy

RS
Best: In My Life (favorite period)
Worst: Wait

Revolver
Best: I’m Only Sleeping
Worst: Love You To

White
Best: Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Worst: Revolution 9

YS
Best: Hey Bulldog
Worst: All Together Now

AR
Best: She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
Worst: I Want You (She’s So Heavy)

LIB
Best: Get Back
Worst: Dig It

Non-Album (In order)
We Can Work It Out
I Want To Hold Your Hand
Hey Jude
She Loves You

Close calls: There’s A Place, Ask Me Why, Anytime At All, Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown), For No One, She Said She Said, Strawberry Fields Forever, Dear Prudence, Here Comes The Sun, Two Of Us, I Feel Fine, Day Tripper

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
The Beatles are a huge part of my life. Thanks for this.

PPM
Best: Please Please Me
Worst: A Taste of Honey

WTB
Best: It Won’t Be Long
Worst: Money (That’s What I Want)

BFS
Best: No Reply
Worst: Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby

Help!
Best: Ticket To Ride
Worst: Dizzy Miss Lizzy

RS
Best: In My Life (favorite period)
Worst: Wait

Revolver
Best: I’m Only Sleeping
Worst: Love You To

White
Best: Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Worst: Revolution 9

YS
Best: Hey Bulldog
Worst: All Together Now

AR
Best: She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
Worst: I Want You (She’s So Heavy)

LIB
Best: Get Back
Worst: Dig It

Non-Album (In order)
We Can Work It Out
I Want To Hold Your Hand
Hey Jude
She Loves You

Close calls: There’s A Place, Ask Me Why, Anytime At All, Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown), For No One, She Said She Said, Strawberry Fields Forever, Dear Prudence, Here Comes The Sun, Two Of Us, I Feel Fine, Day Tripper
We agreed on every single one of the bolded :laugh:

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Will post my own choices

Please Please Me
F: I Saw Her Standing There (Please Please Me and Ask Me Why close honorable mentions)
LF: A Taste of Honey

With the Beatles
F: All My Loving (Hold Me Tight and It Won't Be Long hm choices)
LF: Little Child

A Hard Day's Night
F: If I Fell
LF: When I Get Home

Beatles for Sale
F: I Don't Want to Spoil the Party. Close behind are No Reply and I'll Follow the Sun. Honestly I love every original song on this album and I think it deserves way more acclaim.
LF: Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby

Help!
F: Ticket to Ride (the title track and The Night Before are close seconds)
LF: Dizzy Miss Lizzy

Rubber Soul
F: In My Life, but I also love Norwegian Wood, You Won't See Me, Nowhere Man, Girl, I'm Looking Through You... so so many heavy hitters on this album.
LF: What Goes On

Revolver
F: I'm Only Sleeping. Shootouts to Here There and Everywhere, And Your Bird Can Sing, For No One.
LF: I Want to Tell You, but honestly I like every single song on this album. It's like being last your med school class; you're still a doctor.

Sgt Pepper
Fav: Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite!
LF: Good Morning Good Morning, but everything I said about Revolver above applies here.

MMT
F: Strawberry Fields Forever- it was the song that got me into the Beatles. I started by listening to the red and blue albums and when I popped on the blue album and this played, my mind was blown. I'd never heard anything like it and it was already 49 years old at that point.
LF: Blue Jay Way, possibly my least favorite original Beatles song tbh

White
F: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
LF: Revolution 9

Yellow Sub
F: It's All Too Much
LF: All Together Now, but I honestly don't dislike it. Just with 4 songs to pick from, one's gotta lose

Abbey Road
F: Golden Slumbers
LF: I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Let It Be
F: The Long and Winding Road
LF: Dig It

Non album:
This Boy
I Feel Fine
Paperback Writer
Rain

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Not bad! I always say it’s a mark of how great they are that people often don’t agree on their best stuff.

Favorite Albums: Rubber Soul/Revolver
Least Favorite Albums: With The Beatles/Let It Be
Best Year: 1965
Favorite Beatle: John
Pretty close again :laugh:
Fav album: Revolver; Sgt Pepper and Rubber Soul always flip flop as my 2 and 3 depending on what I'm into.
Lf album: Let It Be
Best year (well, era): 1965-1967
Favorite Beatle: George

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I’ve always liked Come Together and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Maybe that’s random? My Beatles phase was fleeting, though I respect those who’ve cultivated a lifelong passion

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I’ve always liked Come Together and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Maybe that’s random? My Beatles phase was fleeting, though I respect those who’ve cultivated a lifelong passion
My wife loves Come Together. I think it’s a really solid song albeit not a favorite. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is insanely popular, but it never clicked with me for some reason.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Will post my own choices

Please Please Me
F: I Saw Her Standing There (Please Please Me and Ask Me Why close honorable mentions)
LF: A Taste of Honey

With the Beatles
F: All My Loving (Hold Me Tight and It Won't Be Long hm choices)
LF: Little Child

A Hard Day's Night
F: If I Fell
LF: When I Get Home

Beatles for Sale
F: I Don't Want to Spoil the Party. Close behind are No Reply and I'll Follow the Sun. Honestly I love every original song on this album and I think it deserves way more acclaim.
LF: Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby

Help!
F: Ticket to Ride (the title track and The Night Before are close seconds)
LF: Dizzy Miss Lizzy

Rubber Soul
F: In My Life, but I also love Norwegian Wood, You Won't See Me, Nowhere Man, Girl, I'm Looking Through You... so so many heavy hitters on this album.
LF: What Goes On

Revolver
F: I'm Only Sleeping. Shootouts to Here There and Everywhere, And Your Bird Can Sing, For No One.
LF: I Want to Tell You, but honestly I like every single song on this album. It's like being last your med school class; you're still a doctor.

Sgt Pepper
Fav: Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite!
LF: Good Morning Good Morning, but everything I said about Revolver above applies here.

MMT
F: Strawberry Fields Forever- it was the song that got me into the Beatles. I started by listening to the red and blue albums and when I popped on the blue album and this played, my mind was blown. I'd never heard anything like it and it was already 49 years old at that point.
LF: Blue Jay Way, possibly my least favorite original Beatles song tbh

White
F: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
LF: Revolution 9

Yellow Sub
F: It's All Too Much
LF: All Together Now, but I honestly don't dislike it. Just with 4 songs to pick from, one's gotta lose

Abbey Road
F: Golden Slumbers
LF: I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Let It Be
F: The Long and Winding Road
LF: Dig It

Non album:
This Boy
I Feel Fine
Paperback Writer
Rain

This Boy is such a great vocal. Nice inclusion. Another great underrated shout for I Don’t Want To Spoil The Party.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Sgt Pepper is my 3rd so uncannily similar.

Our biggest difference is George, who’s 4th for me.
Paul is my second. Where does he rank for you?

John is so tricky for me because he wrote a lot of my favorite Beatles songs but I think he was a pretty crummy person and I don't like most of his solo stuff.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Paul is my second. Where does he rank for you?

John is so tricky for me because he wrote a lot of my favorite Beatles songs but I think he was a pretty crummy person and I don't like most of his solo stuff.

I’m just referring to Beatles music. I used to always think Paul was my favorite for solo career, and as you said John having questionable character at best, but he’s 2nd for me now. Ringo is 3rd because I was/am a drummer.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
This Boy is such a great vocal. Nice inclusion. Another great underrated shout for I Don’t Want To Spoil The Party.
I had never heard this one until the Beatles SiriusXM channel did its first fan vote top 100 countdown around Labor Day 2017 (I had just gotten into the Beatles about a year earlier). I think it ranked at 93 or 94 or something. I loved it instantly. It's incredible how much great stuff they have hidden under the Hey Jude/Let It Be/Come Together that always get played on classic rock stations, not that those are bad songs, but they're basically what I judged the Beatles on for most of my life. I knew a few others, too. In My Life was actually the first Beatles song I really heard because I remember the Flyers using it in their 40th anniversary video back in 2006 (and I've always loved that song). But I thought they were overrated overall because I'd think to myself, "these songs are good and all, but that's all they have?" It wasn't until we got satellite radio and I started hearing different Beatles songs on the different stations that made me want to dive deeper. Like I said above, I bought the red and blue albums shortly after that. I liked red just fine, but once I put on blue and heard that Mellotron in Strawberry Fields there was no turning back for me; I was hooked. Then I started buying all their other songs and albums individually because their music was blocked on YouTube at that point. I was so proud when I finally completed that entire library, lol.

I'm Only Sleeping is another overlooked one that blew my mind when I first heard it. I remember wondering why it wasn't one of their best known, up there with Hey Jude, that's how much I loved it. It's a top 5 Beatles favorite for me and it's my dad's and my favorite from Revolver, so I'm glad to see that others really appreciate it too.

Reactions: Magua

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I had never heard this one until the Beatles SiriusXM channel did its first fan vote top 100 countdown around Labor Day 2017 (I had just gotten into the Beatles about a year earlier). I think it ranked at 93 or 94 or something. I loved it instantly. It's incredible how much great stuff they have hidden under the Hey Jude/Let It Be/Come Together that always get played on classic rock stations, not that those are bad songs, but they're basically what I judged the Beatles on for most of my life. I knew a few others, too. In My Life was actually the first Beatles song I really heard because I remember the Flyers using it in their 40th anniversary video back in 2006 (and I've always loved that song). But I thought they were overrated overall because I'd think to myself, "these songs are good and all, but that's all they have?" It wasn't until we got satellite radio and I started hearing different Beatles songs on the different stations that made me want to dive deeper. Like I said above, I bought the red and blue albums shortly after that. I liked red just fine, but once I put on blue and heard that Mellotron in Strawberry Fields there was no turning back for me; I was hooked. Then I started buying all their other songs and albums individually because their music was blocked on YouTube at that point. I was so proud when I finally completed that entire library, lol.

I'm Only Sleeping is another overlooked one that blew my mind when I first heard it. I remember wondering why it wasn't one of their best known, up there with Hey Jude, that's how much I loved it. It's a top 5 Beatles favorite for me and it's my dad's and my favorite from Revolver, so I'm glad to see that others really appreciate it too.

I went 1 -> Blue -> Beatles For Sale

I became a huge fan a little over 15 years ago when I was 16 and never looked back. I sometimes wish I could look forward to buying the next new to me Beatles album.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Me and my dad do a rousing I Don't Want to Spoil the Party rendition.

My favorite Beatles song is And Your Bird Can Sing, followed by Yes It Is. I remember being quite small with my first favorite song (in all of music) being Please Mr. Postman

The Beatles are my favorite band by light years. I listened to little else until middle school...they were probably 75% of my entire catalog until I started branching out.

I've been to the Cavern Club and Abbey Road. I still have the keychain on my keys ring.

I remember being very small and trying to copy how Ringo does the fill going into "help me if you can I'm feeling down" because he does it with one hand in the movie. I thought it was great and have fond memories of finally perfecting it as like a 7 year old.

Words of Love is another favorite of mine. I could list 50 songs as my favorites, so instead I'll list some of my deeper cut favorites, like Words of Love and And Your Bird Can Sing

You Like Me Too Much
I Need You
I've Just Seen a Face
It's All Too Much
Only a Northern Song
Two of Us
Why Don't We Do It in the Road
Revolution 1 (take 2? ....okayyyy)
For No One
Yer Blues

That's a good place to start I think. I'm sure I "missed" some but that's what happens when you just rattle them off in 10 seconds

Can we all agree that the way Paul sings "when I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the hill and I stop and I turn and I give you a thrill and I get to the bottom and I see you again" is incredible on the anthology version of Helter Skelter?

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I'd like to give my incredibly unpopular Beatles opinion, which is that I actually like the song "Mr. Moonlight," which is often called their absolute worst recording

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I forgot Long Tall Sally and Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!

For shame.

They make recreations of the circus poster John saw that inspired the lyrics. I want it

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Me and my dad do a rousing I Don't Want to Spoil the Party rendition.

My favorite Beatles song is And Your Bird Can Sing, followed by Yes It Is. I remember being quite small with my first favorite song (in all of music) being Please Mr. Postman

The Beatles are my favorite band by light years. I listened to little else until middle school...they were probably 75% of my entire catalog until I started branching out.

I've been to the Cavern Club and Abbey Road. I still have the keychain on my keys ring.

I remember being very small and trying to copy how Ringo does the fill going into "help me if you can I'm feeling down" because he does it with one hand in the movie. I thought it was great and have fond memories of finally perfecting it as like a 7 year old.

Words of Love is another favorite of mine. I could list 50 songs as my favorites, so instead I'll list some of my deeper cut favorites, like Words of Love and And Your Bird Can Sing

You Like Me Too Much
I Need You
I've Just Seen a Face
It's All Too Much
Only a Northern Song
Two of Us
Why Don't We Do It in the Road
Revolution 1 (take 2? ....okayyyy)
For No One
Yer Blues

That's a good place to start I think. I'm sure I "missed" some but that's what happens when you just rattle them off in 10 seconds

Can we all agree that the way Paul sings "when I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the hill and I stop and I turn and I give you a thrill and I get to the bottom and I see you again" is incredible on the anthology version of Helter Skelter?
I’m with you. I listen to lots of music, but when I get back into Beatles phases I realize how big the gap is between them and other bands for me. I really like Yes It Is. That’s an underrated single paired with a Top 10 song for me (Ticket To Ride).

I actually prefer the album cut of Helter Skelter, but Paul’s voice is almost always amazing, period.

Also, my 2 year old daughter is obsessed. Asks me to “play Beatles” or “watch Beatles” everyday. Favorite songs: She Loves You, Hey Jude, Eight Days A Week, Strawberry Fields Forever ( which she can sing a whole verse and chorus too)

Reactions: DancingPanther

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I’m with you. I listen to lots of music, but when I get back into Beatles phases I realize how big the gap is between them and other bands for me. I really like Yes It Is. That’s an underrated single paired with a Top 10 song for me (Ticket To Ride).

I actually prefer the album cut of Helter Skelter, but Paul’s voice is almost always amazing, period.
I prefer the album cut as well but the vocal, just in that 15 second clip of the outtake....so so good. I've listened to it on repeat before. Multiple times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad