Bears and NFL Talk Thread LIII: Countdown to the Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
They didn't sign anyone until after the first interview with him. They then had a second interview to square away all of the details. If you can't trust a man at his word after his second interview, then I don't know what else to say the Colts should have done. All of the other assistants would've been rolling the dice without agreements in place. Probably should've never done business with New England to begin with, but Ballard probably thought the Colts and Patriots were on good terms since they sent them Dwayne Allen and Phillip Dorsett--hopefully now he knows to just leave those clowns alone.

No doubt, but the timing is just odd is all I was saying. I wouldn't have assistants put ink to paper until the head coach did.

Granted, as I said, that just makes the Colts look like they got taken advantage of like an old couple by a door to door insurance salesman. McDaniels is the one that looks infinitely worse by screwing over his own guys.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
No doubt, but the timing is just odd is all I was saying. I wouldn't have assistants put ink to paper until the head coach did.

Granted, as I said, that just makes the Colts look like they got taken advantage of like an old couple by a door to door insurance salesman. McDaniels is the one that looks infinitely worse by screwing over his own guys.
IF someone did what McDaniels in my industry, he'd be red flagged for life. I have no problem with people changing their minds. It happens all the time. HOWEVER, when you hire assistant coaches or others pass on jobs waiting for you to sign on ... you have a responsibility. People's family left high and dry with your decision. It's the most selfish / unprofessional move for any employee short of a crime.

This is 100% on Josh McDaniels. Thank God the Bears stayed away from that guy. Even his agent FIRED him. Agents only do that when his clients commit some horrible crime OR lies. Good luck Patriots. You have a winner. No one capable will want to work with McDaniels after Belichick leaves.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Not defending McDaniels on any level, but Tony Dungy choosing to side with the Colts instead of the Pats doesn't really say anything at all.
Tony Dungy is a man if integrity. It's more than about football. It's about the assistant coaches / families McDaniels screwed over.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Tony Dungy is a man if integrity. It's more than about football. It's about the assistant coaches / families McDaniels screwed over.

You're missing my point. In a default dispute that involves the Colts and the Pats, we would assume that Dungy would side with the Colts. So using him as some sort of barometer of how bad the situation must be is dubious. That doesn't make Dungy wrong though.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You're missing my point. In a default dispute that involves the Colts and the Pats, we would assume that Dungy would side with the Colts. So using him as some sort of barometer of how bad the situation must be is dubious. That doesn't make Dungy wrong though.
If it was Bill Polian, I'd say you were right. However, this is Tony Dungy. This guy doesn't have ulterior motives. This guy doesn't even pass judgement on felons. He goes out of his way to mentor troubled athletes looking for a second opportunity. Dungy isn't going out of the way to rip on the Patriots. He is speaking for for the assistant coaches / families who were left high and dry. This is not about football for Tony Dungy.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
If it was Bill Polian, I'd say you were right. However, this is Tony Dungy. This guy doesn't have ulterior motives. This guy doesn't even pass judgement on felons. He goes out of his way to mentor troubled athletes looking for a second opportunity. Dungy isn't going out of the way to rip on the Patriots. He is speaking for for the assistant coaches / families who were left high and dry. This is not about football for Tony Dungy.

I don't think Dungy or Polian are biased in favor of the Colts. Polian left after they threw his son Chris out for being incompetent--after Bill had tried to turn over his job to Chris so that was a messy ending. Dungy's buddy and successor Caldwell was shown the door fairly quickly and it wouldn't surprise me if he's a bit upset with the Colts not continuing to hire minority head coaches after Caldwell left since he's always been a bit outspoken about that topic. Neither guy holds a huge grudge, but neither guy is going to blindly voice his support in favor of the Colts franchise.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Jimmy G just signed the most lucrative (by AAV) contract in NFL history.
$74mn guaranteed. Believe or not, Garoppolo cap hit next year is TWICE as much as Tom Brady. Jimmy's very good but it's still a big risk for half a season. The Niners had little choice though.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
49ers obviously had to pay him, but jeez.

Generally speaking, I think the Jimmy G hype train is a bit out of control these days. He looked good for 5 games against mostly bad teams or teams with nothing to play for and people are talking them up as a super bowl team next year. Pump the brakes. I'm not saying he's bad or anything, I'm just skeptical that he's great like a lot of people seem to think.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Wow. You knew he’d get paid, but that much?

I’d happily risk it with Mitch and what it cost to acquire him vs what it cost to acquire a still unproven Jimmy and that contract.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Philly fans are fighting each other at the parade. This just gets better and better.
Any time I see a Flyers jersey at a NYC bar, I go to the other side. They have serious issues. And I've been to Rangers / Islanders games where women throw down.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
49ers obviously had to pay him, but jeez.

Generally speaking, I think the Jimmy G hype train is a bit out of control these days. He looked good for 5 games against mostly bad teams or teams with nothing to play for and people are talking them up as a super bowl team next year. Pump the brakes. I'm not saying he's bad or anything, I'm just skeptical that he's great like a lot of people seem to think.
It's often said that in the league teams need 4-6 games to adjust to a new QB.

It's huge money for a guy whose never even played a half-season of games in the NFL.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It's often said that in the league teams need 4-6 games to adjust to a new QB.

It's huge money for a guy whose never even played a half-season of games in the NFL.
To be fair, Jimmy G does appear to have a lot of talent. He tore that Jaguar defense up. However, he did have issues scoring TDs in the red zone. He might have problems when the field shrinks.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Yeah I remember the Cubs used to always be in the top 3 of World Series odds even when they were terrible cause people always bet them up...

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Is that Vegas thinking they're good or Vegas being Vegas and trying to keep the potential payout manageable?

It's probably both. They are the trendy team right now to public right now clearly. They have the same odds as the Rams and Saints on bovada and are ahead of playoff teams like the Chiefs, Panthers, Falcons.

I just think the hype is out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad