Bears and NFL Talk Thread LIII: Countdown to the Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Grassu played for Helfrich at Oregon. They could move Whitehair to guard. The Bears might want more mobile linemen. Kelce is also an undersized center for the Eagles.
I just don't think Grassu is very good. I'm certainly no O line expert, but it seems to me that he's struggled whenever he's been in there. Maybe they draft Nelson now, who's supposed to be an all time talent at guard.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
No way to know that right now. It could be because they're going to sign a FA or draft a no-doubt year one starter? Idk. I think it's premature to say they created another hole for no reason, though.

They created a hole they didn't have to create, no? Now they have to go out and draft or sign a guy. I guess an acceptable outcome is if they get someone as good as Sitton on a longer term or for a cheaper contract. But they have a mountain of cap space, they didn't need to free up that money.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
They created a hole they didn't have to create, no? Now they have to go out and draft or sign a guy. I guess an acceptable outcome is if they get someone as good as Sitton on a longer term or for a cheaper contract. But they have a mountain of cap space, they didn't need to free up that money.
That's why I'm wondering if they already have a plan in place. Is my point. Maybe they created a hole that they already had a plan for, at which point it was a necessary move, and not so much a hole created for no reason.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I just don't think Grassu is very good. I'm certainly no O line expert, but it seems to me that he's struggled whenever he's been in there. Maybe they draft Nelson now, who's supposed to be an all time talent at guard.
That's a fair assessment. Grassu certainly isn't a road grader. He has trouble holding the point. However, if the Bears do more run / pass option, they'll need more mobile interior linemen. Perhaps a change in scheme will help him. That's still a big IF. Most likely, the Bears will be signing another capable guard / center to compete.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Maybe? The only thing stopping the Bears from drafting Nelson is if he isnt there.

The best two players in this draft are Barkley and Nelson. The way these QBs are shooting up is ridiculous. Teams passing on either of those two will look stupid by week six, so I am happy theres a slim possibility Nelson will be there at 8.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I'd rather the Bears not take a guard at 8
At 8, you do not pass on Nelson.

He mauls players and will do it at the pro level. I dont think he lasts, but if hes there, Pace better run to the podium to take him. You will not get that type of talent again unless your picking top three

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
At 8, you do not pass on Nelson.

He mauls players and will do it at the pro level. I dont think he lasts, but if hes there, Pace better run to the podium to take him. You will not get that type of talent again unless your picking top three

LMAO, a guard in the top 3? I wouldn't be upset if they took Nelson, but we heard the same thing about Johnathan Cooper who ended up going 7th (and to a similar extent Chance Warmack who went 10th) in the 2013 draft. Cooper is on his 4th team, Warmack his 2nd.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
To me you get the pass thumping OLB that can rush the passer to pair with Floyd. DL is already solid, CBs should be after FA and our safeties player well last year.

Another pass rushing threat and the defense could be very good.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
To me you get the pass thumping OLB that can rush the passer to pair with Floyd. DL is already solid, CBs should be after FA and our safeties player well last year.

Pass rusher, corner, offensive tackle would be my preference. Think you can find a wide receiver later in the draft.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Pass rusher, corner, offensive tackle would be my preference. Think you can find a wide receiver later in the draft.
Yeah, my guess is they handle CB via free agency, there's a lot of pretty solid guys out there including the two guys who player for the Bears last year. I expect at least one mid-level WR via free agency as well. Also expect them to get a pretty stout lineman in FA.

With all that in mind, there's not a ton of studs pass rushers out there for signing this off-season which is why I hope they target it with the #8 pick.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Let me get this straight

People are supportive of Pace creating hole at G ,, Then wasting our 1st round pick and ignoring other needs to fill it?

If that is plan its just another example of how Pace should be fired ASAP

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Let me get this straight

People are supportive of Pace creating hole at G ,, Then wasting our 1st round pick and ignoring other needs to fill it?

Yes let's fire Pace based on hypotheticals...

Logic BWC at least try to use it.

If Nelson is a all-world talent and there is not another player there who is an appropriate value there then you take that player.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

If a blue chip OLB/DE is available, you draft him. Football is very simple:

* Find and develop a good QB.
* Develop a line that can protect your QB.
* Develop rushers that can kill the opponent's QB.

You do that, you will win. Football is not that hard.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Let me get this straight

"Who do you want if the Bears don't hire Gruden?"

"Nagy"

*Bears hire Nagy*

"This is a disaster!!!!!"

Reactions: RayP

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Let me get this straight

I think people want the best player available and some think Nelson is that guy.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
"Who do you want if the Bears don't hire Gruden?"

"Nagy"

*Bears hire Nagy*

"This is a disaster!!!!!"

Hey now, at the time he had since read two tweets about Nagy.

Seriously. That’s not a joke. He literally read two tweets and changed his tune entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad