Confirmed with Link: Bear 18% retained and C Pederson for a 5th

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Wonder if they LTIR Kase

Guess they could, no real need to now though, they have all the space needed for Pacioretty and a callup on an ELC. I’d imagine they may explore Kase to IR around the deadline if he’s not coming back to bump up that $1.6M in space to $3.1M.

What stinks though about LTIR is the no accruing of space. Any move they make for the rest of the year will have to be dollar in/dollar out.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Given that Pederson's contract pays him $300k at the AHL level, I'm guessing he was included to make this almost salary neutral on our part if we are retaining $400K of Bear's contract.
I think Pederson's salary this year at the AHL level is $750K (was $250K last year). I don't get why people are saying the QO was a mistake or that we had to pay someone to take him.

Pederson was a throw-in that we likely didn't want in the Burns deal, but SJS made us take and was making $750K as an AHLr.

So if I have this right, the Canes dumped $750K in real dollars, retained $400K in real dollars and cap, for a 5th round pick and solved our cap problems for when Paciorretty comes back. :dunno: Saving $350 in real dollars and a 5th round pick seems like a better than letting him go for nothing to me. Not an earth shattering move by any means, but not a mistake either.

The people that thought he was going to get a return of Hoglander, or 2nd round pick or even 3rd were deluding themselves from the start.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
What a stupid wasteful ridiculous move.
The first mistake was his QO.
The second was spending 2m on him instead of trying to keep tda.
The third was retaining salary.
Super poor decision making all around.

They would need to move more than twice Bear’s contract to make space for TDA’s deal he signed with the Flyers.

If they could have signed TDA for Bear’s deal they would have.

I don’t see a move Carolina missed out on by signing Bear to this deal. They made the Burns move and the Pacioretty move; they were able to pick up lower pairing D as the offseason progressed to push Bear and eventually beat him out.

Retaining salary is minimal, $400K out of an 82.5M cap is less than 0.5% of the cap for the rest of the season. And as pointed out by others, the cash outlay is countered by sending Pederson to Vancouver, as he makes $750K in the minors.

Frustrating for Bear to wait this out, but it had little to no impact on us or the team’s ability to make the moves they wanted in the offseason.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’m glad they moved on. Bear and Pedersen both have the potential for decent NHL careers. Are you really going to stand in the way of that to turn a 5th into a 4th months later? C’mon, just move on.

I know very little about Pedersen, but am curious why you think he has the potential for a decent NHL career.

He's 25, undrafted, couldn't lock down a full time NHL spot on two really bad teams (AZ and SJS), has 5 points in 44 NHL games. On the surface, he seems like the classic AHL/NHL tweeter that will spend most of his time in the AHL before heading overseas to play, no?

I guess on a bad team like Vancouver with lots of injuries, he'll get a chance at least.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think Pederson's salary this year at the AHL level is $750K (was $250K last year). I don't get why people are saying the QO was a mistake or that we had to pay someone to take him.

Pederson was a throw-in that we likely didn't want in the Burns deal, but SJS made us take and was making $750K as an AHLr.

So if I have this right, the Canes dumped $750K in real dollars, retained $400K in real dollars and cap, for a 5th round pick and solved our cap problems for when Paciorretty comes back. :dunno: Saving $350 in real dollars and a 5th round pick seems like a better than letting him go for nothing to me. Not an earth shattering move by any means, but not a mistake either.

The people that thought he was going to get a return of Hoglander, or 2nd round pick or even 3rd were deluding themselves from the start.
The article I saw about Pederson’s signing said his AHL salary was $300k.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Why is anyone acting like this had anything to do with TDA. If they wanted him at the salary he got and the term he got they could have. They didn’t want the player for that price. You can argue if that was the right move or not but acting like the bear QO had anything to do with TDA leaving is completely off base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad