Confirmed with Link: Bear 18% retained and C Pederson for a 5th

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Pederson is nothing, 5th is pretty much nothing. So we cleared a little bit of cap by giving away a guy who wasn't playing anyways. A bit "meh" but also better than just keeping him on the roster if we were never gonna play him.

I hope he succeeds in his career, he seems like a good dude and does have NHL talent in my opinion.

Edit: also, just saw that Vancouver has about 230k less cap space than Bear's cap hit so I'm guessing that is all that we retained, in which case I have no issues with the retaining to get a deal done if it's that low.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Just posted in another thread:

Throwing this out there with no knowledge whatsoever.

Perhaps it's become a distraction for the team. Not saying Bear is outwardly bitching and moaning but he's probably not Mr Happy Go Lucky in practice and locker room.

Sometimes you have to lose to win.

Or I'm just full of the Bo's Cajun biscuit I had for lunch.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Resigning Bear was a hedge, not a mistake. That hedge is no longer needed. Get some cap space back, move on.
Agree, we didn't know exactly what we had in Coghlan after the trade and probably didn't expect to get DeHaan back for so cheap. Both are looking solid, and while we had a sneak peak at Chatfield last year and clearly liked him a lot based on the contract we gave him, we did need to see how he played this year too and he did great in camp and so far in the regular season. I like Bear but we're in a good spot now.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I dispute that. Quite a lot of us thought Chatfield looked great during his stint last year and were wondering why on earth we weren't calling him up at the end of the season instead of playing guys like Bear and Cole.
He was protected more last season than Gardiner was when he was healthy. Its not hard to look good when you over 60% O zone draw.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
He had a rough year last year and played like dogshit in the preseason and then didn't get to play this season. Either the Hoglander stuff was BS, they decided he didn't fit the plans, or they didn't want to add more to get him. But Bear clearly didn't have a ton of value based on the return on the Buffalo rumor of them not wanting to give anything.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
He was protected more last season than Gardiner was when he was healthy. Its not hard to look good when you over 60% O zone draw.
And we were giving Bear ridiculously sheltered minutes when we played him after the initial experiment with Slavin was over, so the comparison to Bear remains perfectly valid.

Bear as a hedge for Coghlan and not knowing about DeHaan is entirely valid. Bear as a hedge for Chatfield makes extremely little sense.

Pretty disappointing return considering Hoglander was being discussed. Oh well.
Hoglander was always a fantasy.

Reactions: Chrispy and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
And we were giving Bear ridiculously sheltered minutes when we played him after the initial experiment with Slavin was over, so the comparison to Bear remains perfectly valid.

Bear as a hedge for Coghlan and not knowing about DeHaan is entirely valid. Bear as a hedge for Chatfield makes extremely little sense.

Hoglander was always a fantasy.
5v5 Ozone start percentage last season

Chatfield: 66.2
Bear 55.3

Bear went up 2% after the Slavin experiment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad