Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Here's the Beach Volleyball schedule...

Beach Volleyball - Olympic Schedule & Results | Tokyo 2020

Here's a preview...

What to know about beach volleyball at the Tokyo Olympics
Since beach volleyball made its Olympic debut in 1996, the United States has established itself as a dominant force in the sport. The U.S. women and men have each claimed three gold medals, more than any other country. Only Brazil, with 13 total medals, has won more medals than the U.S. But there may be a power shift in Tokyo, with new contenders emerging from Canada on the women’s side and Norway and Russia on the men’s side.
The tournaments will be packed with familiar faces, some of whom return to the Olympics with new partners. Only two women’s teams that competed in the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro return, while six teams from the men’s side remain intact. The United States will have two teams in each the women’s and men’s brackets, which will include the youngest team in U.S. beach volleyball history and the oldest player in Olympic volleyball history.
Who are the medal contenders?

Klineman and Ross are seeded second behind Canada’s Sarah Pavan and Melissa Humana-Paredes, who claimed the top spot in the Olympic provisional rankings via tiebreaker. Pavan and Humana-Paredes, who won the world championship in 2019, have won five gold medals, six silvers and a bronze on the world tour since teaming up after the Rio Olympics.
Brazil has two of the top four seeds entering Tokyo. Agatha Bednarczuk is now playing with Eduarda “Duda” Santos Lisboa after winning a silver medal with Barbara Seixas in 2016, while Ana Patricia Ramos and Rebecca Cavalcanti will make their Olympic debut.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Since Walkenhorst retired, I don't see a lot of chances. Ludwig is still great but her partner is not that good. They were never the top team in the last season.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I have criticised Kozuch but I have to say she grew incredibly during the tournament. In this shape, Ludwig/Kozuch can go far.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
What a disgraceful ending. How are you able to challenge a challenge.

What is disgraceful was the conduct of the official. A challenge by the US to an out call. It takes about 2 minutes to call the ball in. The two Canadian women walk around aimlessly on the court for about 1 minute after the ruling and the official does not tell them to play. Then the call is changed to out. The US women approach the official for an explanation. They claimed that the wrong mark was looked at. She tells them the original ruling was a mistake and to play. Less than 10 seconds later the official pulls the Yellow Card on the US women!

On the replay, it looked like part of the ball hit the blue tape and very little sand flew up. NBC showed the replay twice. Isn't that in like in soccer?

The US might have lost anyway, but the challenge and pushing the wrong button was amateur hour. The uneven treatment of the 2 teams at the end was the insult added to the injury.

Last edited:

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am no feminist, but those bikinis are barely legal in their coverage. If the athletes are fine with them, that's one thing, but I have wonder if they were given a choice.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
I am no feminist, but those bikinis are barely legal in their coverage. If the athletes are fine with them, that's one thing, but I have wonder if they were given a choice.
They were initially told to wear tight shorts when beach volleyball was accepted, yet quickly they transitioned to bikinis simply due to more maneuverability and range of motion, plus less sand getting stuck everywhere. From what I can tell it was by the athletes own choice.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What single event has received as much coverage than women's beach volleyball. CBC has discovered that women in bikinis sprawling legs all akimbo in the sand is must-see sport. Kind of embarrassing. Least they could do to even it up is to insist the guys wear bikinis.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Wow. Both Canadian women's teams out in the quarters. :( I mean Bansley/Wilkerson wasn't an unexpected loss when they looked OK during pool play, but I'm shocked how bad Pavan/Paredes the world champs looked in their quarters match after looking so dominant during their pool games. I mean they didn't even lose a single set before this match and then they go and play their worse during the playoffs. :mad:

Seriously they didn't look like they were on during the whole match. Australians played really well, but them winning was as much as the Canadians losing through their poor play as it was the Aussies winning with their good play.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
They were initially told to wear tight shorts when beach volleyball was accepted, yet quickly they transitioned to bikinis simply due to more maneuverability and range of motion, plus less sand getting stuck everywhere. From what I can tell it was by the athletes own choice.

So....it's not by choice. Maybe initially when rules for sport were made it was by choice, but check this out:

Norwegian women's beach handball team fined for not playing in bikinis

What single event has received as much coverage than women's beach volleyball. CBC has discovered that women in bikinis sprawling legs all akimbo in the sand is must-see sport. Kind of embarrassing. Least they could do to even it up is to insist the guys wear bikinis.

CBC? They've shown close to no beach volleyball whatsoever. It's always on Sportsnet or TSN in Canada. They're showing this morning the match because it was Canada, is all.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Wow. Both Canadian women's teams out in the quarters. :( I mean Bansley/Wilkerson wasn't an unexpected loss when they looked OK during pool play, but I'm shocked how bad Pavan/Paredes the world champs looked in their quarters match after looking so dominant during their pool games. I mean they didn't even lose a single set before this match and then they go and play their worse during the playoffs. :mad:

Seriously they didn't look like they were on during the whole match. Australians played really well, but them winning was as much as the Canadians losing through their poor play as it was the Aussies winning with their good play.

Yeah that was really disappointing. I was looking forward to an all-Canadian semi finals....so much for that lol

I agree they didn't play a very good game unfortunately. A few too many obvious errors.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah that was really disappointing. I was looking forward to an all-Canadian semi finals....so much for that lol

I agree they didn't play a very good game unfortunately. A few too many obvious errors.

Disappointing is the perfect word to describe Pavan/Parades performance today. If you watched their pool games they were so good and played with so much skill and committed relatively few errors and they had so much confidence in themselves. Today they were the complete opposite of that and I kept waiting for them to show up against the Aussies and they never really did.

Just sucks to see them be capable of such dominant play and then come playoff time they get knocked out without playing their best. I mean its one thing when you're outclassed by your opposition, but today they lost in large part because they couldn't bring their best when it mattered the most.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Sucks that the number 1 seed lost, they were the world champions. Surprising as well since they were so dominant in the tournament up to this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00