BCHL adding 5 Alberta teams

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Thats a huge loss for the AJHL. Teams left are mostly in the north - Whitecourt, GP, Ft Mac, and eastern side of province, Lloyd, Bonnyville, Camrose and Drumheller. A few others still centrally located but that’s a kick in the shins. Will be hard to run a league with fewer central teams, transportation costs will only increase being so spread out.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Thats a huge loss for the AJHL. Teams left are mostly in the north - Whitecourt, GP, Ft Mac, and eastern side of province, Lloyd, Bonnyville, Camrose and Drumheller. A few others still centrally located but that’s a kick in the shins. Will be hard to run a league with fewer central teams, transportation costs will only increase being so spread out.

As far as I understand BCHL is the best Canadian "amateur" junior hockey league so who would blame teams that want to join it.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
As far as I understand BCHL is the best Canadian "amateur" junior hockey league so who would blame teams that want to join it.
I’m not blaming anyone. Simply commenting on the repercussions for the remaining AJHL locations. BCJHL was/is a very good league. I believe they left the auspices of Hockey Canada because of a difference of opinion on recruiting 16 and 17 year olds.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Woah, huge power move by the BCHL and another well deserved kick in the balls to Hockey Canada. Their arrogance has been on full display and its coming full circle.

I wonder if the GOJHL will leave soon and go as an idependent Junior A circuit in Ontario. Theyve been fighting with the CJHL, OHF and Hockey Canada for Junior A designation a number of years and could be another dominoe to fall.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Yeah, I saw this happening when the BCHL first left HC.

This will eventually be great for any players in Canada that want to stay in the Canadian system but want to pursue college hockey. This year's crop in the BCHL isn't great for draft-eligible prospects but the level is definitely higher with 19-20 year olds dominating.

Reactions: JKG33

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
AJHL is rumoured to be suspending the teams for the season.

Absolute brutal leadership they have, they are going to destroy themselves.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I’m supportive of what the BCHL has done and this is awesome for the AJHL teams to defect. Hockey Canada needs to get f***ed and stop being petty and get their heads out where the sun don’t shine.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

Camrose and Drumheller aren't that far north and the fact that those two didn't jump are telling.

This takes the league back more to the previous decades when teams like Olds and Calgary Canucks were outliers in the league. The difference is that there are other communities (Fort Sask, St. Albert, Leduc, Airdrie, Lacombe, and Cochrane) that would be eager to step into that gap.

AJHL is rumoured to be suspending the teams for the season.

Absolute brutal leadership they have, they are going to destroy themselves.

Unfortunately, the rebels will have to answer....

1) To sponsors on why they saw their support get thrown away.
2) To City Councils on why they decided to break agreements on this matter.

It's gonna be an ugly Monday.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Camrose and Drumheller aren't that far north and the fact that those two didn't jump are telling.

This takes the league back more to the previous decades when teams like Olds and Calgary Canucks were outliers in the league. The difference is that there are other communities (Fort Sask, St. Albert, Leduc, Airdrie, Lacombe, and Cochrane) that would be eager to step into that gap.

They aren't the ones that have to answer.

They gave ample notice to the AJHL, they are doing what they feel is best for their players. The AJHL is the one that needs to answer on why their fragile egos can't handle teams leaving them. They just lost Brooks, they just lost the team that's been bringing in the money to them, the AJHL is the only one who has to bring answers.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

No they aren’t Northern. Didn’t say that.

I said they were in the group of teams that were based on the eastern side of the province.

Either way, when you are northern AB or eastern, joining a B.C. based league with teams on the west coast would be a non starter financially.

This will get even more messy.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
They aren't the ones that have to answer.

They gave ample notice to the AJHL, they are doing what they feel is best for their players. The AJHL is the one that needs to answer on why their fragile egos can't handle teams leaving them. They just lost Brooks, they just lost the team that's been bringing in the money to them, the AJHL is the only one who has to bring answers.

Announcing that you are leaving on Twitter isn't ample notice, and it went against all the statements they have issued in the past on the matter.

AJHL has reasonable justification to have taken the course of action they did. It's going to be rather difficult for the greedy teams to justify their actions.

The rebels will have to explain breeches on contract since they've decided to break league rules. Sponsors and Landlords will want explanations...and they will get them.

No they aren’t Northern. Didn’t say that.

I said they were in the group of teams that were based on the eastern side of the province.
:facepalm:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Announcing that you are leaving on Twitter isn't ample notice, and it went against all the statements they have issued in the past on the matter.

AJHL has reasonable justification to have taken the course of action they did. It's going to be rather difficult for the greedy teams to justify their actions.

The rebels will have to explain breeches on contract since they've decided to break league rules. Sponsors and Landlords will want explanations...and they will get them.

:)

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Camrose and Drumheller aren't that far north
Yeah, the idea that the remaining teams are "mostly north and eastern" is a bit silly. They're losing two Edmonton area teams, a Red Deer Area team, a Calgary area team, and Brooks. Camrose, Drayton Valley, Olds, Drumheller, Canmore and Calgary can hardly be described as "northern" or "eastern".

To satiate my curiosity I calculated the geographic centre of the league's teams including and not including the five "defections", and it moves about 37 km NNW, from west of Maskwacis to southwest of Leduc. Barely any difference...

usZataR.png

(Blue pointers are the "defecting" teams, red the remainders, green the "old" geographic centre of the league, yellow the "new" geographic centre.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bohologo and hn777

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
As an AJHL alum, this sucks. I understand these 5 teams wanting to leave Hockey Canada via leaving the AJHL, but they could've communicated it better. I fathom that in the summer, 2-3 more AJHL teams will leave for the BCHL and the rest of AJHL will reluctant say fine, we'll join you and both the BCHL and AJHL combined into 1, without being under Hockey Canada's umbrella.

Reactions: Just Linda

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

It's January, the season starts in September. They gave 9 months notice, the fact that it was over twitter is irrelevant. AJHL getting offended over it is an AJHL issue and shows how crappy their leadership has been

Reactions: joestevens29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad