OT: BC wildfire smoke has now reached the Ottawa valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I know this isn't a hockey related post but it is an Ottawa related post and I assume a lot of Ottawa fans here live in the Ottawa valley.

Have you noticed this smoke? Just heard on the news here in Calgary that it had reached the Ottawa valley.
Its brutal out here. I was surprised to hear that it had travelled as far as Ottawa.

Here's what downtown Calgary has been looking like for the past couple of weeks..
39199470_1792832964137441_1710986830377123840_n.jpg

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
That's crazy. I live in Ottawa and haven't noticed anything.

I remember being in Calgary 3 years I guess and same thing...some fire going on and lots of smoke around. Hope it gets under control soon!

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
They definitely mentioned that smoke had reached Ontario and some parts of Quebec. These were weather guys that mentioned it. One guy specifically mentioned the Ottawa valley. I guess it must be too high up in the atmosphere and too thin to notice.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That's awful. I feel bad for all the folks with respiratory problems in Alberta. That kind of smoke can kill folks.
Yeah, not good. I have a mild case of COPD and all this smoke really aggravates it. Best you can do is stay inside with the windows closed. It was brutal a few days ago when the outside temperature reached 38C. Inside, without AC it got up to 30C.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Can’t imagine how those firefighters pull through!
Yeah. God knows what the inside of their lungs look like. I understand when fighting the fire they're wearing Scott Air Packs but they don't wear them 24/7.
Not a job I would want to do. For the job these guys do and the working conditions, they should be making at least $50 an hour.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Yeah. God knows what the inside of their lungs look like. I understand when fighting the fire they're wearing Scott Air Packs but they don't wear them 24/7.
Not a job I would want to do. For the job these guys do and the working conditions, they should be making at least $50 an hour.
The first major cause of death of firefighters is lung cancer.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Last few years, all we heard (in Ontario anyways) is about the flooding and constant rain in BC. Now it's all burning. It's crazy.

The forest service not doing any controlled burns anymore to clear out the underbrush anymore, or what?

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
ds6OTm.jpg

Certainly good for the pine beetle population.. this year the fire numbers are up from last year's record. Almost seems to be getting worse year to year
It's almost like there's a reason why these weather related extremities keep occurring, one that a very vocal opposition keeps telling the world doesn't exist, despite all evidence indicating it does.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It's almost like there's a reason why these weather related extremities keep occurring, one that a very vocal opposition keeps telling the world doesn't exist, despite all evidence indicating it does.
Fake news I tell ya. Fake news. It's just a witch hunt.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad