BattleTech - Tactical Mech Combat Game from Hairbrained Schemes

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Some of the old BattleTech games did this, either in a shooter format (the MechWarrior games), or in real-time tactics (MechCommander games). They're all fantastic games, which I would recommend you check out if you enjoyed that game, but unfortunately with the exception of MechWarrior 4, the old ones are very difficult to install and play on modern PCs. MechCommander (both 1 and 2 I believe) you can find for free on the internet but they require some significant workarounds to work.

I had no issues getting MechCommander to run.

But anyways I grew up reading the Battletech books, played most of the games, and was a backer from the beginning. Looking forward to this one!

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So tempting, but I'm trying really hard to avoid making my backlog any larger than it already is....

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
So tempting, but I'm trying really hard to avoid making my backlog any larger than it already is....
I have a big backlog and this is a day one play for me. It looks too good.
I had no issues getting MechCommander to run.

But anyways I grew up reading the Battletech books, played most of the games, and was a backer from the beginning. Looking forward to this one!

On Windows 10? Interesting. I can't.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
To get the two MechCommander games to run on Windows 10, try following these instructions.

The key step is likely using the dgVoodoo 2 wrapper, which is essential for getting many early DirectX games working on modern Windows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nullus Reverentia

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I am still using Windows 7 but I have seen some Youtubers say it is even easier to get going on Windows 10 but I can't confirm that with personal experience.

I guess I didn't try that hard to make it work. Maybe I will have to one day.

As an aside note, the game is up to #2 on Steam's global top sellers, behind only PUBG. Which is honestly amazing. 1 mil+ copies isn't out of reach. I've convinced several friends IRL who haven't ever heard of BattleTech to buy the game and it seems like quite a few have a similar story.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I guess I didn't try that hard to make it work. Maybe I will have to one day.

As an aside note, the game is up to #2 on Steam's global top sellers, behind only PUBG. Which is honestly amazing. 1 mil+ copies isn't out of reach. I've convinced several friends IRL who haven't ever heard of BattleTech to buy the game and it seems like quite a few have a similar story.
You got me too and I would have never come across is otherwise. I'm not buying it until tomorrow though so you can add my plus one to any list until about 5 PM EST tomorrow haha.

Reactions: Nullus Reverentia

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Strong reviews so far. Only a few lukewarm ones (ex. one from RPS that didn’t seem to like tactical games).

Some don’t like that it’s a slow paced turn based tactics game (as opposed to XCOM which is fast), and the tutorial gets lots of criticisms. Some UI concerns but in general the concensus is that the fundamentals are sound and very good.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Seeing some mixed reviews; anyone having day 1 issues? Not that it has stopped me; I started work at 6 today so I could call it early and just made the purchase/am 20 minutes from it being installed now. Will post my thoughts tonight (unless the wine I bought to enjoy with it hits me too hard, then tomorrow: ya I game with wine, sue me).

In any event, I like turned based games of this nature so if, somehow, I end up hating it i can at least be happy knowing it was only 40 bucks and that I'm supporting a developer who is working on turn based games of this nature.

Hell, I bought both recent xcoms twice... and both expansions (PS3/4 and PC).

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Seeing some mixed reviews; anyone having day 1 issues? Not that it has stopped me; I started work at 6 today so I could call it early and just made the purchase/am 20 minutes from it being installed now. Will post my thoughts tonight (unless the wine I bought to enjoy with it hits me too hard, then tomorrow: ya I game with wine, sue me).

In any event, I like turned based games of this nature so if, somehow, I end up hating it i can at least be happy knowing it was only 40 bucks and that I'm supporting a developer who is working on turn based games of this nature.

Hell, I bought both recent xcoms twice... and both expansions (PS3/4 and PC).

Can’t sign into Paradox login so no multiplayer but other than that only typical minor release day bugs and nothing worth mentioning.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I've edited my review because it was a little strong (I didn't know what I was doing last night, plus I had a little too much wine so I was passionate in my terribleness at the game).

I've read some guides & the post below; now I understand how the rounds & movement work, which was my major complaint. I will post a true review by Friday, after I can give it some solid hours.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Hmmm, Ultawide doesn't work. Lovely. Well it sort of works but you can't click "next" and other various things don't quite work right.
Let's see if I can fix it.

EDIT: Well you can just press "enter" which works as next, so that problem solved. Couldn't fix the UI with a little digging in the files though I'm not much for Unity. It's as if the UI canvas isn't extending beyond 16:9 despite the renderer doing so just fine. I imagine they could fix this pretty easily with a minor amount of effort.

Speaking of Unity the game runs like ass but that's not terribly surprising.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Heres my immediate reaction:

1. Its a lot clunkier than Xcom. I'm still not sure how my decisions spill over to the next turn.
2. Similar to the above, if youre used to xcom, you will be confused.
2. To be frank, Im still very confused on when I shoot and when I dont. I did love the ease of xcom in this place and that "chill" option confuses me (cool down is the option...)
3. From a human position, this isn't natural. There appears to be no equivalent for overshot. So, my ability to think correctly and set a trap is neutralized;

Im giving the game my best effort, and the campaign isn;t as bad as others will say, but I am confused how to run my group because they use a bastardized version of xcom. Just enough to feel familiar, but too different for it to work the same. As a person who enjoys these games thanks to xcom? Its different enough to be annoying.

I probably oversold how much the game is like XCOM. It's got similar mechanics but as seen by your four points things work quite differently. They definitely aren't based on each other (HBS was making turn-based tactics games with the Shadowrun series at the same time as XCOM). The tutorial is ass and the game basically throws you to the wolves and you die until you figure it out.

1) The following two carry over into the next round of combat: evasion (the chevron pips beside your mech on the map) and 'stance', which is whether you're in cover, entrenched, or guarded. The first comes from where you stand and is indicated by green dots on the movement screen, while the second two come from bulwark (a passive ability in the guts branch), vigilance (a morale ability), or brace (a non-combat move you can choose at the start of your turn or after moving.

2) Yes it's different from XCOM in that regard because it adds evasion, which encourages you to move every turn if you do not have bulwark. But cover works similarily. One difference is that through initative, turns are not simply you then the enemy, they're mixed and they depend on pilot skills and mech tonnage. It's hard to describe but it's something you'll get eventually.

3) You shoot in two circumstances (with one exception). The first is you start your turn and shoot right away without moving, the second is move/jump than shoot. It's just like XCOM in the sense you can't shoot after you sprint. The exception is a pilot skill that allows you to move after you shoot. It's a late game piloting skill IIRC.

4) There's no ambushing like overwatch because you are playing as vehicles with giant nuclear fusion reactors. They're not sneaking up on anyone (although in the lore, approximately 40-50 years from where we are now a stealth armour will be invented but it prevents the use of heat sinks). To do something sort of like that, you use the reserve function to drop back an initative phase and let the enemy operate first

Hmmm, Ultawide doesn't work. Lovely. Well it sort of works but you can't click "next" and other various things don't quite work right.
Let's see if I can fix it.

EDIT: Well you can just press "enter" which works as next, so that problem solved. Couldn't fix the UI with a little digging in the files though I'm not much for Unity. It's as if the UI canvas isn't extending beyond 16:9 despite the renderer doing so just fine. I imagine they could fix this pretty easily with a minor amount of effort.

Speaking of Unity the game runs like ass but that's not terribly surprising.

Ultrawide isn't supported at launch. They said it's something they're looking to add in the next couple months.

Reactions: Bocephus86

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Ultrawide isn't supported at launch. They said it's something they're looking to add in the next couple months.

That doesn't help much when you paid for the game 3 years ago.

The problems with it are overstated though. It's got issues but I'm more or less running just fine right now with it. I've played games with worse 21:9 support.
It detected the resolution right out of the box, didn't have any black bars (some people reported them), and only has a few menus cut off like the very bottom of the dialog bar (doesn't cut off text)

Unless the Steam version is different or something anyway. Or maybe I stumbled on to a trick that makes it work okayish and don't know what it is :laugh:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well I enjoyed the first 2 missions anyway. It really plays a lot like Shadowrun which isn't terribly surprising.

The AI vehicles sometimes stupidly drive in the wrong direction.
They really outright don't explain a lot of game mechanics. DFA does self damage for example, not that obvious until you try it.

You really should be able to move *after* you shoot.

Cover, flanking, and various terrain seem to have a decent amount of impact.

I'd like to see more interactive objects on the map, it's pretty static.

I like the weapon variety, but it's not entirely clear how much range "short" is versus "medium" etc.
The enemy variety seems about the same as MechCommander so that's good. I'm not sure they really have the balance of weapons down though. Most of the enemies seem balanced for being a jack of all ranges so they aren't too scary.

It needs an out of combat non-turn based mode so you aren't 1 by 1 dragging mechs across terrain.

All the sequencing stuff is not readily apparent either. One thing it needs is the numbers showing which phase each unit in go in need to be more visible. The little black font next to each enemy doesn't really do it.

When I take damage I want a little summary somewhere instead of floating numbers. Can't keep track of it, not even worth watching for them just check the mech afterward.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Agree on most of the points. The game still could see some TLC but it seems like a big success so far so hopefully it’ll get it.

On vehicles, I’ve got in just past the first non prologue mission and they become a very nasty thorn in your side when you’re going up against fully armoured tanks. Can’t just pop them in one shot reliably but they can ruin your life. SRM Carriers are the devil.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Well I enjoyed the first 2 missions anyway. It really plays a lot like Shadowrun which isn't terribly surprising.

The AI vehicles sometimes stupidly drive in the wrong direction.
They really outright don't explain a lot of game mechanics. DFA does self damage for example, not that obvious until you try it.

You really should be able to move *after* you shoot.

Cover, flanking, and various terrain seem to have a decent amount of impact.

I'd like to see more interactive objects on the map, it's pretty static.

I like the weapon variety, but it's not entirely clear how much range "short" is versus "medium" etc.
The enemy variety seems about the same as MechCommander so that's good. I'm not sure they really have the balance of weapons down though. Most of the enemies seem balanced for being a jack of all ranges so they aren't too scary.

It needs an out of combat non-turn based mode so you aren't 1 by 1 dragging mechs across terrain.

All the sequencing stuff is not readily apparent either. One thing it needs is the numbers showing which phase each unit in go in need to be more visible. The little black font next to each enemy doesn't really do it.

When I take damage I want a little summary somewhere instead of floating numbers. Can't keep track of it, not even worth watching for them just check the mech afterward.

For the most part they do a good job assuming you don't have any Battletech experience and explain as such but there are a few weird things like DFA that I agree they could have explain better for BT novices.

The tabletop inspiration of the game has always been move then shoot(although in tabletop everyone moves then everyone shoots but this takes longer). You can make a point for a different system but that is where that comes from. There are a few work arounds though! You can reserve a light mech to phase one -> Alpha Strike -> retreat beginning at next turn. Jenner's are really good mechs for this as they do really good damage for a light. The second tier piloting skill also allows movement after shooting.

When you are positioning a mech after moving there white arc display changes colors at the different ranges. You can also check your to-hit % before you commit to a move.

I am not sure if you are experiencing a bug but until you make contact with the enemy you can move all your mechs together.

If anyone has any questions about the game or BT in general feel free to ask! Battletech was probably the first fictional universe I fell in-love with so have lots of experience with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad