• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Who cares about a backup? When facing each other, starters all that matters
This.
Dobson is not as good as Miller at the moment, although they're obviously both still developing.

Miller has become extremely underrated on here because Fox gets all the attention and he doesn't see powerplay time.

Dobson has the edge offensively but Miller is elite defensively. Out of all top 4 D last season, only McAvoy and Slavin had a better defensive GAR. His shot suppression and zone exits are near the top of the league.

And if you don't favor the analytics, point to where a guy who's 6'6" and the best skating defenseman on his team isn't passing the eye test.

Could you post those stats for the top 50 d if possible? thanks.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Could you post those stats for the top 50 d if possible? thanks.
I might be able to grab that for you when I'm not sneaking in posts at work :laugh:

I will forewarn you that there's some weird ones on there. Third pairing defensemen are prone to putting up extremely good analytics because of the smaller sample and easier role. That's why I mentioned top 4.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I might be able to grab that for you when I'm not sneaking in posts at work :laugh:

I will forewarn you that there's some weird ones on there. Third pairing defensemen are prone to putting up extremely good analytics because of the smaller sample and easier role. That's why I mentioned top 4.
That'd be great. I knew Miller had great potential defensively. I didn't realize he was already that good.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
damn. When I see the rosters laid out like that, it really makes me wonder what life would be like if the Isles were even half the draw that the Rangers are to stars around the league. The Isles best players have always been and will most likely always be their homegrown talent. We’re just never gonna be the team to sign guys like Panarin or Fox, especially not to the point where you have guys saying “the Islanders are the team I want to go to when I’m a UFA”. We got excited about bringing in guys like Parise and Chara, since they “were” stars.

I still remember talking to my Ranger fan buddy when they signed Panarin. It was like “oh yeah, good move”. Almost like it was no big deal. Just par for the course. I couldn’t even imagine getting to that point as an Isles fan.

Reactions: alexgreeen

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Rangers for everything.

damn. When I see the rosters laid out like that, it really makes me wonder what life would be like if the Isles were even half the draw that the Rangers are to stars around the league. The Isles best players have always been and will most likely always be their homegrown talent. We’re just never gonna be the team to sign guys like Panarin or Fox, especially not to the point where you have guys saying “the Islanders are the team I want to go to when I’m a UFA”. We got excited about bringing in guys like Parise and Chara, since they “were” stars.

I still remember talking to my Ranger fan buddy when they signed Panarin. It was like “oh yeah, good move”. Almost like it was no big deal. Just par for the course. I couldn’t even imagine getting to that point as an Isles fan.

Penguins are kind of similar so I feel your pain. But also have 5 cups to drown it out.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

It just makes everyone hate you

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

We have one cup in 82 years to show for it. Also, when the Rangers weren't hindered by the cap they were terrible, though I think that's because UFA age was older back then so all of the UFAs we had were like 35+. Though maybe I'm misremembering.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
We have one cup in 82 years to show for it. Also, when the Rangers weren't hindered by the cap they were terrible, though I think that's because UFA age was older back then so all of the UFAs we had were like 35+. Though maybe I'm misremembering.

Yeah trust me as a Met fan I know spending money doesn’t guarantee a damn thing at the end of the day. But yeah this is just me being a jealous baby. I want nice things. I still haven’t forgiven Bobby Mac for his “Panarin heading to the Isles” tweet the day before UFA.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Islanders have the better goaltending tandem.
Islanders have the better 1-6 defense.
Rangers have better 1-12 offense.

Fox - Pelech
Trouba - Pulock
Miller - Dobson
Lindgren - Mayfield
Schneider - Romanov
Jones - Salo

Are these the basic comparisons we can make?

I might be tempted to agree with you. Fox stands out, but I think I may prefer NYI otherwise.

This is a tough decision.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
The isles have better D, a better goalie tandem, and are better now. Rangers I guess have better forwards? Zib and Panarin stand out as they are the best. The rest of the forwards are pretty close. Not sure about the future.

2020 Islanders ECF
2021 Islanders ECF
2022 Rangers ECF
2023 Islanders 9-5-0 2-0 Vs the Rangers
Rangers 6-5-3 0-2 Vs the Islanders

Centers -

Zibanejad > Barzel
Trocheck < Nelson
Chytl < Pageau
Carpenter < Cizikas

Wings -
Panarin > Lee
Kreider > Beauvillier
Kakko > Palmeri
Lafrenière = Parise
Blais = Bailey
Vasey = Wahlstrom
Goodrow = Clutterbuck
Kravtsov / Reeves = Martin

D -
Fox > Pelech
Trouba < Dobson
Miller < Pulock
Lindgren < Romanov
Schneider < Mayfield
Jones / Hájek = Aho / Salo

Goalies
Shestyorkin = Sorokin
Halák < Varlamov

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Dobson is not as good as Miller at the moment, although they're obviously both still developing.
1667968497233.jpeg

To winning a Cup? It’s about the least important position come playoff time.
Except for your opponents the first two rounds, never won a round vs a starter

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Sorry, you’re not a Ranger fan. Anyway, backups are still important, as evidenced by the Rangers advancing two rounds against teams with depleted goaltending. Sorry you didn’t follow
As stated, it’s the least important position to winning a Cup. If you’re starter goes down, you ain’t winning.

Most teams will go an entire cup run without even using a backup at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce