GDT: Basic GDT Edition: Devils @ Kings 4PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We need to add Josefson to the lineup next game, could use his offense.
I would welcome him back in for the next game on Kalinin and Fiddler's line.

Promote Lappin, I'm not sure he's being utilized to his capabilities on that line.

I didn't see anything I liked from Pietila today. Perhaps it was because he was playing center, I didn't even know he played center before today.

Regardless, he's just another guy with a 4th line ceiling to me.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lol this is sarcasm.

Right?

Probably.

But someone did imply yesterday that Josefson's lack of offense might be a product of playing on one of the worst offensive teams in the league, and that being one of the worst offensive teams in the league isn't a product of players like Josefson (among a few others) being in our top 9.

But I really didn't like what I saw from Pietila today, so I would have welcomed Josefson on the 4th line with Fiddler and Kalinin, who just drag down and stifle Lappin from doing anything offensively.

When I saw Josefson's ice time on Thursday, I figured it was logical that if Pietila comes in it would be for him and not Boucher. But AG reported that Boucher and Pietila were rotating out of the LW spot on that line. I figured it would take either Zacha moving down to center that line or something, because I didn't know Pietila played center at all.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
0-2 with Merrill.

Auvitu can't come back fast enough.

I agree Auvitu should be in over Merrill, just because he brings more of what we need and the chances of John ''Tied for second on the team in goals scored'' Moore being a scratch are very slim.

So if Auvitu comes back in, it looks like Merrill is out. Merrill has been okay. Made a nice stick deflection after a terrible turnover from Lovejoy today.

I'll always vouch for Auvitu over Merrill, but I don't think Merrill is a big reason why we're 0-2 with him. I thought Merrill was maybe 1 of 5 players that was okay or better than okay today.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not a fan of the ''We're whatever-whatever'' with this guy or that guy argument.

It rarely is an indictment on that player.

It was used too much in the ''Well we've won this many games with Marty and lost all these games when he was not playing'' argument from a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure it was also used when Clemmensen was playing games, as opposed to the games when Marty was in that season.:shakehead

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not a fan of the ''We're whatever-whatever'' with this guy or that guy argument.

It rarely is an indictment on that player.

It was used too much in the ''Well we've won this many games with Marty and lost all these games when he was not playing'' argument from a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure it was also used when Clemmensen was playing games, as opposed to the games when Marty was in that season.:shakehead

Don't forget the we had a great record when Cam (Janssen) came back the last time :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't forget the we had a great record when Cam came back the last time :laugh:

Oh my god

And Dumboer cited our great record with him as a reason for keeping him in the lineup too.:help::shakehead

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Oh my god

And Dumboer cited our great record with him as a reason for keeping him in the lineup too.:help::shakehead

At least it was a longer sample size but yeah that defense jumped the shark the way a lot of these recent posts have about a record with player x after a handful of games.

Though it might be contradictory I actually DO look at record WITHOUT player y a lot more, like when the KHL All-Star was laid up in the lockout season. Or Hall now. But it's gotta be a star player, not some role guy who plays five minutes a night.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At least it was a longer sample size but yeah that defense jumped the shark the way a lot of these recent posts have about a record with player x after a handful of games.

Though it might be contradictory I actually DO look at record WITHOUT player y a lot more, like when the KHL All-Star was laid up in the lockout season. Or Hall now. But it's gotta be a star player, not some role guy who plays five minutes a night.

I think there's really only a few players on our team that can really have a bearing our our record. Those players are Hall, Cory, maybe a couple other guys to a point. So yeah, I agree.

But I do think that Auvitu makes our team a lot better, so I think he needs to be back in whenever he's available and not a second later.

But I don't think Merrill was the worst player in these games, though he is probably the guy to come out when we put Auvitu back in.

It wouldn't surprise me if Severson sat one game, he was abysmal tonight. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape if he was scratched once, as long as it's not a stretch like last year when Gelinas was in over him and making an error that led directly to a goal every game.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah they do need Auvitu for the transition game though I agree he's not so vital you can really slap a total cause and effect of his absence on the record, especially when others are out at the same time.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If this game showed anything, it is that they are wasting away Lappin on the fourth line.

Lappin generates offense and/or scoring chances every time he is on the ice.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
A clunker on the road at a matinee time.

I'm not surprised.

Good for Hiney head for benching the slugs.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is a game we would have won with Tropp in the lineup

I'm not sure.

If we had Andrew "The late bloomer" Hammond in nets though, we may have won this game.

I'm sorry DD. I just heard that Hammond was waived today and couldn't resist. ;)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If this game showed anything, it is that they are wasting away Lappin on the fourth line.

Lappin generates offense and/or scoring chances every time he is on the ice.

Agreed.

Fiddler and Kalinin are stifling his offense almost as much as Zajac stifled Kalinin's offense last year.

Well, I am actually being serious on the part about Fiddler and Kalinin holding back Lappin. The Zajac holding back Kalinin part was sarcasm over something that was said last season, which actually was serious at the time.:help:

And with Pietila playing center today, there's no reason not to reconstruct these lines to get Pietila or Josefson down on Fiddler and Kalinin's line, and move Lappin up somewhere. Believe it or not, I'd prefer Josefson to Pietila in the lineup, so long as he's playing with those two. Same goes for Pietila if he's in.

I'm sorry if this was already answered and I missed it before, but has Pietila ever played center in the AHL or anywhere else before? I was not aware he had played center, and have never heard of him being played there until today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad