Speculation: Barzal's next contract

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Lou got Rielly and that punk Kadri signed to good terms when they were RFA's. If I am a betting man he will do the same with Mathew.

Neither of those players broke out before they were signed. A good example of Lou's work in Toronto would be the Dion Phaneuf contract which he got rid of without any retention.

A bad example would be giving a rookie D with one year of experience, a 7 year deal and the Marleau contract.

Rielly and Kadri look great in hindsight but they were given exactly what they were worth at the time.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Neither of those players broke out before they were signed. A good example of Lou's work in Toronto would be the Dion Phaneuf contract which he got rid of without any retention.

A bad example would be giving a rookie D with one year of experience, a 7 year deal and the Marleau contract.

Rielly and Kadri look great in hindsight but they were given exactly what they were worth at the time.

Zaitsev was an organizational blunder, Lou probably listened to the scouts, the stats geeks and Kyle Dumbass himself, it's more of in Dumbass' MO given how much he has blundered the Matthews and Nylander signings. Plus his misreading of talent, as letting McElhinney go for Sparks. Lou's showed he can make astute signings in Andersen, Rielly, Kadri, McElhinney, Hyman...ect. All out of the park great signings. And get guys like Phaneuf, Robidas, Lupul off the books.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
I’m hoping for a 2-3 year bridge deal for 7-8 million and then when he’s 24/25 sign him to an 8 year extension for 10.5 to 11.5. I hope the 8 year extension is less money but I doubt it.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I think that's probably partly true and partly nonsense. IMO, set aside the defensive responsibility thing, he struggled anyway. It's normal to struggle in your second year. Next year I think we'll get a better idea of what he truly is.

He lacks the natural instinct to take it up the middle and score. At this point he's strictly a passer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He lacks the natural instinct to take it up the middle and score. At this point he's strictly a passer.

He tends to pull up or skate to the outside and look for options. But Barzal has fire, and one thing that impressed me this year, he has no fear in his game. It's all part of his evolution as a player and a quick study. I do agree he would be more effective if he shoots more, and drive the net. I think if you are Trotz, these are the things you tell him to work on in the summer. His shot (which is underrated) and to study tapes of players going towards the net. His 3 playoff goals were all scored in dirty areas. I included that bad call in game 1.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
He tends to pull up or skate to the outside and look for options. But Barzal has fire, and one thing that impressed me this year, he has no fear in his game. It's all part of his evolution as a player and a quick study. I do agree he would be more effective if he shoots more, and drive the net. I think if you are Trotz, these are the things you tell him to work on in the summer. His shot (which is underrated) and to study tapes of players going towards the net. His 3 playoff goals were all scored in dirty areas. I included that bad call in game 1.

I think he realizes that every time you go up the middle, you'll probably be stripped or the goalie will stop your shot. The thing for him to remember is that if he does it ten times he'll probably score at least once. It's strictly a numbers game.

No reason he can't be a good SO guy either. He's scary on breakaways so should be great on the SO. Things to work on.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Given the current state of the NHL my guess is Barzal's agent makes him wait till next summer to sign a deal(that seems to be the norm the past few years)

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
If I'm Lou I listen to offers. I'm done with franchise player stuff. When players hesitate to sign....need to move them for 19 20 year olds or draft picks ...guys who are healthier, faster, and have to play for your team even if they don't like it.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Zaitsev was an organizational blunder, Lou probably listened to the scouts, the stats geeks and Kyle Dumbass himself, it's more of in Dumbass' MO given how much he has blundered the Matthews and Nylander signings. Plus his misreading of talent, as letting McElhinney go for Sparks. Lou's showed he can make astute signings in Andersen, Rielly, Kadri, McElhinney, Hyman...ect. All out of the park great signings. And get guys like Phaneuf, Robidas, Lupul off the books.

Zaitsev and Marleau were organizational blunders and Lou is the General Manager.

So give Lou all the credit for the good moves but defend him vehemently for the bad ones?

LL has made his share of mistakes and will continue to make them. Based on Lou's recent signings Barzal will get paid quite a bit.

Reactions: WillyNy

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If I'm Lou I listen to offers. I'm done with franchise player stuff. When players hesitate to sign....need to move them for 19 20 year olds or draft picks ...guys who are healthier, faster, and have to play for your team even if they don't like it.
Is this the Patriots model or the Florida Marlins?

Reactions: Costigan77

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Zaitsev and Marleau were organizational blunders and Lou is the General Manager.

So give Lou all the credit for the good moves but defend him vehemently for the bad ones?

LL has made his share of mistakes and will continue to make them. Based on Lou's recent signings Barzal will get paid quite a bit.

I'd overpay the Kid who won the Calder once he is eligible to sign a long-term deal.

Include a couple of his UFA years and overpay a little bit in the early part of his contract. I have little doubt that with 2-3 years more experience ( hopefully less) and expected improvement in his game, he will be a top 10 player in this league for many years to come.
On another note, it is unlikely that the Isles will sign a stud UFA so why not use some of your cap money on your homegrown talent in the early years. Otherwise, you end up overpaying for Andrew Ladd type players.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
What is the positive of going to arbitration with an RFA or if he sits out like Nylander did. I want Barzal to be here, but if he doesn't want to be here move him. I understand he is an RFA, I think LL is smart enough to determine if Barzal wants to be here or not. Not for nothing a return for Barzal in a trade would be a pretty damn good return for a 21 year old entering their prime. I don't want it to come to that, Barzal should be an Islander but things happen. Hopefully he re-signs and this thread goes bye bye.
Jesus christ... :facepalm:

Reactions: SI

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I firmly believe this summer or fall is the best time to sign Barzal. Earlier than later or the price will go up. Knowing Lou he will try to get it done.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Zaitsev was an organizational mistake. I would blame the collective, Dumbass and the scouts that are the collective think tank that is Laffs Mgt and not just Lou specifically. Marleau got 1 year too much, but was a Babcock advocate.

LL got Dion off the books, he got Robidas and Lupul off the sheet, He signed Rielly, Hyman and Kadri to very team friendly deals. And got them a #1G in Andersen at a very good rate. If you want to cite the bad, some of it was on Lou, Cite the good to be fair also.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Extend him now. He's still going to cost a ton, but you might be able to work out some sort of reasonable 3-4 year deal. If we wait until after next year when he scores 90-100 points playing with Panarin or someone else then he's going to cost a lot more.
It's a nice thought, but Barzal doesn't have to sign this offseason as he still has a year on his ELC. Unfortunately I think he'll bet on himself having a great third year and cashing in with us in 2020. Especially if the team brings in a winger to help him.

Remember that it takes two to tango.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad