Speculation: Barzal’s value

Butchie91

Aug 11, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Please don’t kill me but what can we get if Lou decides to trade him. It doesn’t look like Barzal will realize his full potential with Islanders. IMO, he is not a #1 center. His best season was his rookie season when he was #2 and pajama boy was #1. So what do you guys think. Just remember, this is just hypothetical.

4Cups Want More

May 12, 2022
Before I entertain trading Barzal who has averaged .86 points per game for his career I would like to see what he does in a full season with Horvat. In a small sample size he had 8 points in 7 games with Horvat.

he also plays a sound defensive game.

I just think that at this point he is still more valuable to NYI than to someone else.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It’s the style of the team. Barzal is a much better and more complete player than he was as a rookie. People get too caught up in over points.

My problem with Barzal is he has all world talent, but I feel he plays way too methodical and tries to slow the game down too much. I wish he would attack the net more and play aggressive similar to the way McDavid and MacKinnon play. Attack attack attack. Don’t be afraid to turn the puck over because it’s gonna happen sometimes but if you take it to the net good things will happen. barzal is a tremendous playmaker and passer, but he also needs to be a little more selfish at times and realize that he himself is the best option most of the time.

If I’m trading Barzal, I need a big return. He signed eight more years so what team is getting a lot out of him in his prime used as well he’s only 25.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
I wouldn't call him a true number 1 but he's close. He was pacing a pt per game last year before getting hurt. Yes he stinks on faceoffs but his skating ability and puck handling are among the best in the league (although he holds the puck for too long at times for sure). He's got great vision and honestly a solid shot he just doesn't use enough.

So hypothetically, if traded, package starts with a 1st, top prospect and roster player (top 6 F or top 4D) and go from there. He's worth more to the Isles then I think what they'd get in return

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Maybe the stars align and Brady Tkachuk says he doesn’t want to play in OTT, bye bye Barzal.

Or Pettersson doesn’t want to stay in Vancouver.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
We need more players like him on the roster, not to get rid of him. He clearly rushed back from injury for the playoffs last year and just wasn't ready. In those deep runs to the ECF he was all over the ice with the puck and really helped us keep some needed possession during some of those tough series (particularly when PIT and BOS were all over us for large portions of games).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
For example.

From CBJ I’d want

Kent Johnston + David Jiricek + Liam Foudy/2nd round pick and whatever contract cap would be needed to make it work.

From ANA I’d want

Mason McTavish + Nathan Ganchur/Jacob Perrealt + Tristan Luneau + Brett Leason

From BUF I’d want

Mathew Savoie + Juri Kulic+ Ryan Johnson + 3rd round pick

From DET I’d want

Marco Kaspar + Simon Edvinsson + Red Savage

Not saying the other teams would but that’s what I would be looking for. I think CBJ and ANA packages are the best.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
For example.

From CBJ I’d want

Kent Johnston + David Jiricek + Liam Foudy/2nd round pick and whatever contract cap would be needed to make it work.

From ANA I’d want

Mason McTavish + Nathan Ganchur/Jacob Perrealt + Tristan Luneau + Brett Leason

From BUF I’d want

Mathew Savoie + Juri Kulic+ Ryan Johnson + 3rd round pick

From DET I’d want

Marco Kaspar + Simon Edvinsson + Red Savage

Not saying the other teams would but that’s what I would be looking for. I think CBJ and ANA packages are the best.
Why wouldn't you want an NHL player in exchange?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Why wouldn't you want an NHL player in exchange?
Kent Johnston and Mason Mcatavish are NHL players.

In the other deals those are high end prospects and obviously a risk because they’re unproven but these are just wants. I would suspect packages would
Have to include some form of NHL player(s) to make the deal work

Green

Nov 13, 2019
it is to late, Barzal has to be signed, the Islanders would be an unwatchably bad team without him, granted last year I was adamant it was time for a complete re-build and I thought everyone except for Dobson should be traded (I would have favored keeping Barzal but I am guessing he would have not been cool with a re-build so he would get traded) but that is not the option the Islanders took when they traded for Horvat and especially signing Sorokin to the long term, so this team is all in over the next 5-6 years and there is no way they are able to lose a guy like Barzal if you want them to have an even prayer of winning deep in the playoffs.

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
I would trade Barzal for sure, but it would have to be part of a trade with a very good player back in return. I don't think he's a star and is overpaid and would happily package him with other parts to get a real 1st line star.

Reactions: Fantom

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
Maybe the stars align and Brady Tkachuk says he doesn’t want to play in OTT, bye bye Barzal.

Or Pettersson doesn’t want to stay in Vancouver.

Making a package for Petey would be amazing, but I don't think he walks from Vancouver, nor will they part with him unless 100% sure he will walk. But he'd be incredible to get.

Butchie91

Aug 11, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I would trade Barzal for sure, but it would have to be part of a trade with a very good player back in return. I don't think he's a star and is overpaid and would happily package him with other parts to get a real 1st line star.
We should have done it last year with Calgary for Tkachuck

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
We should have done it last year with Calgary for Tkachuck
Not sure if he would have wanted to come to NY or not, but if he did, I was all about sending him and a package of guys for him. I'm fine with Barzal as the 2/3 top forward. But as the #1 forward on the team, he's not that to me. Doesn't trust his shot enough, and plays too outside for me.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
It’s the style of the team. Barzal is a much better and more complete player than he was as a rookie. People get too caught up in over points.

My problem with Barzal is he has all world talent, but I feel he plays way too methodical and tries to slow the game down too much. I wish he would attack the net more and play aggressive similar to the way McDavid and MacKinnon play. Attack attack attack. Don’t be afraid to turn the puck over because it’s gonna happen sometimes but if you take it to the net good things will happen. barzal is a tremendous playmaker and passer, but he also needs to be a little more selfish at times and realize that he himself is the best option most of the time.

If I’m trading Barzal, I need a big return. He signed eight more years so what team is getting a lot out of him in his prime used as well he’s only 25.
This has been his shortcoming for sure on rare occasion he has dropped the shoulder and made haste for the net.
This needs to happen more often I recently compared Jack Hughes with Barzal , same division , stature but Jack takes it to the net .

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This has been his shortcoming for sure on rare occasion he has dropped the shoulder and made haste for the net.
This needs to happen more often I recently compared Jack Hughes with Barzal , same division , stature but Jack takes it to the net .
It’s not only taking it to the net it’s using their speed and skill to their advantage. If you watch Hughes similar to McDavid and Mackinnon they play fast. Barzal should be doing the same thing. There’s no reason why Barzal can’t be a similar force that Hughes is. We used to make fun of Hughes shot, now he’s a goal scoring machine. Partly because he worked and improved his shot but also because of his style of play. Hughes thinks fast and plays fast and is always in attack mode.

Barzal with his talent should be around 25-30 goals and 60-65 assists every year.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
It’s not only taking it to the net it’s using their speed and skill to their advantage. If you watch Hughes similar to McDavid and Mackinnon they play fast. Barzal should be doing the same thing. There’s no reason why Barzal can’t be a similar force that Hughes is. We used to make fun of Hughes shot, now he’s a goal scoring machine. Partly because he worked and improved his shot but also because of his style of play. Hughes thinks fast and plays fast and is always in attack mode.

Barzal with his talent should be around 25-30 goals and 60-65 assists every year.
Hughes scored a goal against the Isles last year that was basically a blueprint for how Barzal should be utilizing his talents. Shook a defender at the top of the zone, skated toward the net and with everyone laying off expecting pass, he snapped it home. Not outlandish to expect Barzal to be able to do the same. If he made the opposing defenders pay for expecting pass it would improve the overall offense tremendously.

Reactions: Lek, MJF and SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad